This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little question about my music...

Not to promote it, at all, but just a general question.

When (and I've decided it's when) I get this thing done, I know I want to have some CDs done (even if I have to burn them myself). I'll probably offer MP3's for sale, too.

I was also thinking of going vinyl, since it seems to be making a comeback. This seems rather pricey, though, for the very limited number of these I'd actually want.

I'm also thinking of framing a copy (probably a CD copy, not sure if I actually want to do the vinyl thing yet) when I'm done.

So, vinyl...what say you??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Maybe offer it as CD/MP3 (better yet these days, include a free download in a lossless format like FLAC with purchase), and ask buyers what they think of vinyl? Come up with realistic price points for 100/200/500/1000/etc pressed, and see about getting pre-orders.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Vinyl's getting very big again. A store just opened up near me that is all vinyl records. But I think EricKei has a good idea.

A thought: Are there any small community newspapers in your area? When you're ready, you might want to think about placing an ad in one, especially if there's an artsy one.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        A thought: Are there any small community newspapers in your area? When you're ready, you might want to think about placing an ad in one, especially if there's an artsy one.
        There's my local town's newspaper. I thought about paying for a press release.

I was considering doing a "funny" reverse psychology one like the one in South Park where Cartman bought the amusement park. He did an ad that said the park was re-opened, but nobody could come.

It made people want to go.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

A press release should be free. There should never be a charge for any news article. It calls into question the newspaper's honesty and integrity if they charge you for this. A few lines of copy in the arts section should be free.

Advertising is different. This is what drives the profit for most newspapers these days. Find out what day the paper focuses on entertainment and the arts (usually Sunday) and see what the rates are for small display ads. If there's a smaller paper or magazine in your town that focuses on the music/arts community, that can be a good alternative, but I know not every town has them.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X