This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindness exists everywhere

So this happened yesterday and put a smile on my face. I'm on the bus home. I happen to get a bit of dust in my throat and I start coughing to clear it. Then, totally unexpectedly, a man getting off the bus says "I hope you feel better ma'am." Note that I hadn't spoken to him (or anyone else) during that trip, so he had no reason to engage with me.

I thanked him but here's the thing. He was homeless. Big backpack, cardboard sign, everything. It was starting to snow and he could be at real risk if he didn't find somewhere warm before the sun went down. I was sitting there in my work uniform with my wheelie, headed home to my cozy apartment. This man was in a much worse situation than me. Yet he took time to wish me good health.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy. There are genuinely good people at every level of society, from the highest to the lowest.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-21-2015, 01:20 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Awww, that is really sweet. I hope he's ok through the winter.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Hope you don't mind me adding my own story to this thread. Yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart to get a few groceries. I got rung up and then realized I left my debit card at home. After apologizing to the cashier, I went to leave when she called me back. The lady behind me very generously paid for my groceries. When I thanked her she smiled and said she had lost her card before and wished me a merry Christmas. It was certainly an unexpected blessing.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Our vet once gave us an unexpected kindness.

We'd just moved. When packing up, we found a guinea pig who had apparently been living in the alley beside our house for a while. We packed her up to come with us, and made her an impromptu home out of one of our plastic packing cases.

While we met a new vet, we included the guinea pig in our 'introduce the pets to the new vet/wellness check' vet visit. And told the vet that she was a newly found stray, so the vet ran her microchip reader over the pig. No chip.

Anyway... we kept the guinea piggy, and tried to see if we actually enjoyed having her in our house. But it turned out that we just didn't gel with her.

Just on the offchance, we asked the vet if she knew anyone who wanted a guinea pig.

And this is - IMO - the kindness. Her niece loves guinea pigs, and the vet just took our pig. So we knew she would be well cared for, she was safe and would be loved better than we could love her.

Yes, it was a win-win kindness. The vet had already done a wellness check on the guinea pig, so she knew her condition. She also got the toys we'd bought and/or made for the pig, and a bit of bedding and food.
        But to me, it was a nice thing to do.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A stray guinea pig. A stray guinea pig. 0.o Trying to wrap my head around the idea of a guinea pig surviving on the streets.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Maybe someone fed it. I once knew a g.p. that would squeal loudly if you forgot to feed her.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

On survival out on the streets: The image of a guinea pig in a tiny ratty leather jacket, one eye scarred and whitened, flicking a switchblade in and out just popped into my mind. it was glorious.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We had that happen with a stray kitty once. Found the poor thing out in the snow. She was OK but a bit thin. We already had two cats and couldn't keep her, but when we got her to the vet for a checkup prior to trying to find her a good home, the vet tech fell in love with her. The vet tech ended up being her new mommy.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  On survival out on the streets: The image of a guinea pig in a tiny ratty leather jacket, one eye scarred and whitened, flicking a switchblade in and out just popped into my mind. it was glorious.
                  Quoted for gloriousity (and besides, it's short).

It doesn't snow where we are, so she never had to survive that. While grass isn't an ideal guinea pig diet, there was plenty of grass. She'd found shelter underneath the outside part of the air conditioning system, and probably went to one of the taps for water.

Besides, she had her ratty leather jacket and her switchblade.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My MIL has a pet fancy rat someone just dumped outside (wild rats tend not to be silver with dumbo ears). Poor little baby ran right up to her and asked to be picked up. There are snakes where MIL lives, pet rats are domesticated animals and can't fend for themselves. Had she not found my Hubby's mom, Angelina Ballerina (which is what MIL named her) would have been dead in hours.
                    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 12-20-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Hey man we got me and my pig posse.You don't mess with us man
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                      X