This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I email again or not?

On September 15, I ordered a $250 customized video game controller for Hubs as his birthday/Christmas present. As a hand-painted item, it was supposed to take 6 weeks start-to-finish, meaning I'd have it within three days of October 27. I had the ability to check whether or not it had shipped, and when I saw it hadn't shipped by November 1, I emailed them, telling them I'd like to have it by Hubs's birthday (November 21). I got a response about how it was still being painted, they had experienced a sudden rush of orders, and they would put a note on the order that I'd like it done by November 21.

A few days after I got that email, they updated the site itself. Minimum processing is now 12 weeks instead of 6, and order tracking is much better. However, the new order tracking page showed that the controller was, in fact, NOT being painted, the order had been received was all.

Right now it has been sitting on "Assembly" (the stage after painting) for about a week. It's supposed to ship soon but I'm considering emailing them again and asking for a partial refund since it was supposed to be here four weeks ago, and again two days ago. There was no specific shipping charge but I have proof it was only supposed to take six weeks, and after looking up BBB complaints I discovered that they generally have trouble with shipping things on time.

Opinions?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

That all depends on how desperate you are to have this controller. If you must have it, then you will have to put up with their shenanigans. You can write and complain, but you have no leverage.

If you are willing to forgo the controller, you can demand that they ship it by a certain date or you will cancel the order.

Have you already paid for the controller? Has it been billed to your credit card/paypal account? If so, you may have some legal leverage. Now, it has been 30 years since I studied contract law, but I think that they have violated a couple of sections of the Uniform Commercial Code by failing to deliver in a timely manner. I would also suggest that you contact your credit card/paypal as you may be running out of time to dispute the charges.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It was paid for on the day I ordered it, and custom orders can't be cancelled because they're, well, custom.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Hubs was there when I ordered it, telling me what he did and didn't like, so he already knows that it's a month late and is even more disappointed than I am, despite the fact that I paid for it myself.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

I would think that in the event of non-delivery (which, by your account, this qualifies as since the vendor failed to deliver twice by promised dates and now has no estimated delivery date for your order) that it would be entirely possible to get a refund. You might have to go through your bank or PayPal, depending on what payment method you used. And, as csquared said, you may be running out of time to initiate that sort of action. Contact your bank/card issuer/PayPal, they'll have more information about what sorts of recourse you have if you decide to press for a refund.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'm not looking for a full refund though. What I'm looking for would be more like if you ordered something on Amazon and it arrived a week late, so you're refunded shipping. However, there was no specific shipping charge in the order, so I wouldn't know what needs to be refunded.

Comment

Too late for this time, but in future you might want to include a "drop dead" date on your order, i.e. "I need this either by date X or not at all".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

On Wednesday I emailed them asking for an estimated shipping date, got a response this morning that it was going to ship sometime later today.

I now have a tracking number for the package and it's due to be here Monday.

Comment

Tracking number is good. Once it arrives, think about what one of our crafters would have done in a similar situation (overbooked unexpectedly), and send them an email recommending they do something similar for you next time.

But wait till it arrives.

And yes, ask for a partial refund for not warning you of the overbooking situation. That's reasonable. If you'd been warned, you could have cancelled and bought something else; or delayed that purchase (have them make it for some other occasion - an anniversary present or something), or otherwise managed the situation.

Every business needs to schedule man-hours for administration. This is part of administrative work.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I know what business I'm never buying from again.

We got the controller in the mail today, and Hubs was happy with it, until we turned it around to look at the back. Not only was the controller over a month late arriving, but the back had not been painted to match the front as I had paid for. This was a separate, measurable charge that I'm now looking to get refunded (about $30). Hubs is otherwise happy with it, so at least there's that.

Comment

Working...
                  X