This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another moment of ?? at the SCO

I was at a big grocery store, the kind with 20+ regular lanes, and 10 SCOs. Walked by the SCOs, not intending on using them but I observed the following. Woman with full mini cart, and a child who was probably 6-8 years old. The woman and child were chatting, while the SCO attendant rang up their cart.

....Say it with me. That's not what SCOs are for! Go to a regular line if you can't be bothered. This was fairly early in the AM, and there was plenty of regular and express lanes open. Yet one SCO attendant was stuck doing this, and had clearly been for a while based on the full looking bag. To add to it, the SCOs were more busy than the regular lanes, probably people stuck with "please wait for attendant" screens. I think they do have two attendants, but I did not see a second one. And just, the whole nonchalant way the parent was talking to her kid, like it was normal for them. Arg.

Also, when I got in line and had a few things on the belt, the woman in front somehow didn't have enough money. Not sure how she knew (the cashier told her it was $10 short) since she still had a bunch which hadn't been rung up yet. The lady said something to the cashier and darted away, I think to an ATM? Anyway, I asked the cashier if I should stay or go, because it didn't look like she was suspending the transaction. She helped me move my stuff to another register and muttered under her breath "these people today, why always me?" and I was paying just as the lady came back, and I could see the cashier was on the phone. Never a good sign.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I've worked retail. I should know what to look out for when picking a lane so I can be run out more quickly. Yet I somehow always pick the one where the customer ahead of me needs a price check, or has to rummage for coupons or cash, or the cashier is new or etc etc etc. So I feel your pain.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Whenever I manage to pick a line that has a hold up, ah, well. I usually don't have my toddler with me and thus, not in any hurry to get back home. Hubby can watch the kid just fine for another 20 minutes

I only use the SCO under certain conditions, like one or two items, using the debit, and there are either no express lines open or they are packed. Otherwise, I just can't see using them. I scan faster than they can read. The surfaces for items and bags are non-existent, slowing me further still. It's usually just faster go to a cashiered register and have them do the scanning.

I did have an SCO transaction done by the SCO attendant. The SCO I was using decided to go on strike mid ringing and it was a slow booting machine too. It hadn't even booted up by the time I was finished, though I suspect it was dead....
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I like the SCOs, but I know how to use them. I've seen a lot of people who seem to think that taking a full cart to one will magically make the clerk stop paying attention to everyone on the others drop everything and take care of the SS. Happily, management at the grocery store I shop allows the clerk to direct SS to a manned cash register.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          The woman and child were chatting, while the SCO attendant rang up their cart.
          I'm also expected to hold people's hands and ring up stuff for them if they stare or mutter long enough (E and Shithead have unintentionally trained SCs to do this). No. I can show people what to do, but I'm not (should not be) actually ringing them up--if the attendant is occupied with one customer, the thieves see the opportunity.

(I have a feeling if we didn't allow full carts through SCO the problem would solve itself, but ours have belts so people and managers think they have the room to handle cartloads)
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            Whenever I manage to pick a line that has a hold up, ah, well. I usually don't have my toddler with me and thus, not in any hurry to get back home. Hubby can watch the kid just fine for another 20 minutes

I only use the SCO under certain conditions, like one or two items, using the debit, and there are either no express lines open or they are packed. Otherwise, I just can't see using them. I scan faster than they can read. The surfaces for items and bags are non-existent, slowing me further still. It's usually just faster go to a cashiered register and have them do the scanning.

I did have an SCO transaction done by the SCO attendant. The SCO I was using decided to go on strike mid ringing and it was a slow booting machine too. It hadn't even booted up by the time I was finished, though I suspect it was dead....
            Oh me too! I always end up with the dreaded "wait for attendant" the grocery store right by me, which has since closed, usually had those open, and maybe one register with a real person. I usually went for that, but if i only had a couple of things, and that line was really long, i'd suck it up and use the SCO.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              (I have a feeling if we didn't allow full carts through SCO the problem would solve itself, but ours have belts so people and managers think they have the room to handle cartloads)
              This grocery store has two SCO areas. One with six spaces and one with four. I think that the one with six is supposed to be "15 items or less" and the one with four has larger spaces for groceries, and no limit. I will have to look next time I go. Since I moved, I'm closer to the store in the high-traffic high-stress part of town. I used to drive to my old store, which I prefer (and is the same company) but it was a hassle. Plus, I used to go to the bank inside the store to get quarters for my laundry. Now they changed their policy so you have to have an account, which I don't. The credit union in the high-stress location will change my bill for a roll of quarters.

Anyway, my point is that I only go there for my big shopping trips. So I never use their SCOs anymore. A different store in town generally only has two regular lanes open, and has six SCOs, which are always clogged with people with FULL HEAPING carts. They always look bewildered, like they just woke up from twilight sleep to find themselves shopping. They move so slow, and have endless issues, which I am forced to watch.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X