Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't I just pull merchandise off the floor and chuck it in the trash?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't I just pull merchandise off the floor and chuck it in the trash?

Some companies will take back makeup you simply don't like and some don't. We don't. If a customer is unsure of policy, she should ask.

I jumped in to help service desk immediately after coming in and my first customer was a woman returning makeup because "it didn't work for me." She didn't say it was defective out of the package (we're more than glad to take it back for that reason); she didn't like the color. I opened it up to see it had been used and informed her that we don't take back used makeup. She immediately got snippy and said, "Why??" I explained "Because we have to take a loss on it." The entitled answer that ticked me off, "The take a loss on it." I repeated myself that as far as I was informed we cannot do that, but I'd ask the manager if she'd make an exception for this woman. In the middle of my asking the sucktomer said "I've done it before." I'll bet. Another manager walked up and told me to go to a lane and he'd deal with it, so I don't know what happened, but she probably got her way. I'm sure she'll be back.

I understand it's frustrating to not be able to try on samples and end up with something you don't like. It happens to me. But I know when I buy it the risk I'm taking. I don't argue with the service desk.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

That's why you either go to a place which does samples and spend more, or shrug and accept the loss.

Bast and I and another friend have a deal with each other. New makeup, we take a small amount with a tiny spatula and place on a small tray, then test the colour on ourselves from the tray. If it doesn't suit the one who bought it, the other two can try it and whoever likes it best gets it.
    (Using the spatula-and-tray trick prevents the makeup from being contaminated with anything, so it's perfectly safe to pass to the others.)

It does help that all three of us are slightly different shades of the same skin/hair type.

But yah: returning makeup that's perfectly good (but unsaleable due to possible contamination)? Not on.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Some places allow exchanges. It's one reason cosmetics are expensive. That cost if often built into the sticker price. That said, the store has the right to set policy. If you don't like the policy, stop your whining and shop elsewhere.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
      X