Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Going to Cross the Street or Not?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Going to Cross the Street or Not?!

I pull up to a four-way stop. I signal to turn left. There are two joggers coming along the sidewalk opposite me. They reach the corner just as I come to a stop. I wave them through; they wave back and cross the street I'm about to turn onto.

A truck approaches from my left as the joggers go by, stops, and makes eye-contact with me as if to indicate he knows its my turn next.

So far, so good.

But then there's the other three pedestrians to deal with--two women and a man, having a spirited conversation on the corner where the joggers crossed. The two women are moving toward a parked car, so I don't worry about them. But the man keeps inching toward the crosswalk like he also wants to cross the street I'm about to turn onto.

The driver of the pickup is also watching warily. This guy is not watching traffic at all; he's still looking at the two women and talking and laughing even as he moves away from them.

The moment I determine he's not going to cross and let my foot off the brake pedal, he steps into the crosswalk.
    I stop.
    He steps back onto the curb.
    I start moving again.
    He takes a few steps into the crosswalk.
    I stop again.
    He also stops, directly in my path, still fully engaged in his conversation with the two women.
    I reach for my horn.
    He suddenly seems to notice he's in the street, glances at me, and backs a few more steps through the crosswalk.

According to Oregon law, I'm not allowed to go through any crosswalk if there is a pedestrian in front of me (obviously) or in an adjacent lane. These are two-lane streets. Meaning I can't finish my turn--even though I'm now smack in the middle of this intersection--until this guy gets all the way across. And he's clearly in no hurry to do that.

One of the women yells something. He takes about three steps toward her to make his response. He's directly in my path again! And other cars are approaching from other directions, probably wondering why I'm stopped in the middle.

The truck driver and I both roll down our windows at the same time and shout at this guy, "Get out of the way!" and "Are you going to cross the street or not?!"

He looks at us in turn, looks at the women, shrugs, yells something like, "Well, I guess I gotta get going," and back-steps across the street while waving and laughing.

I rolled up my window as I finished my turn so my two-year-old daughter didn't have to hear the colorful metaphors the truck driver was blasting at the indecisive crosser.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

What an obnoxious jerk!

I recently had the opposite happen. Jogger was heading straight and making absolutely no indication that she was planning on turning. I started to cross. Suddenly, jogger and dog turn without warning into my path of travel while I'm in the middle of the intersection. Jogger glares at me as I slam on my brakes. (This was early morning, I was behind Jogger and Jogger had headphones in but she should have seen my headlights and been aware there was a vehicle behind her.)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

That sort of indecisiveness is why, when I'm a walker (which I normally am), if I'm at a corner and waiting on traffic, I turn my back to the road so it's obvious I'm not waiting to cross (even if I am).

Usually I prefer to wait for a natural break in traffic before activating a walk signal, unless there are other pedestrians around, so if I don't make eye contact with the drivers, they can (usually) feel free to continue at speed.

Comment

This stuff makes me so nervous as a driver. Pedestrians have to give drivers reasonable time to stop. But that's not how many see it! There was this three-way stop I used to have to go through all the time, with a restaurant on the corner, in a tourist town. Groups would congregate inches from the street. Then without any warning just step into the street and get mad at the driver for daring to... drive in the street! The nerve! And then they'd mosey across like "oh look, sailboats! lalala~" *wanders diagonally toward the pretty*

I haven't noticed it as much here, but I do live near a popular restaurant with a marked crosswalk just steps from the entrance. Families stubbornly cross anywhere BUT that crosswalk. And they also tend to take their sweet time, tugging the little toddler along behind them while traffic backs up into the intersection.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I thought they changed the Oregon rules a few years back. something like 6-10 feet separation between the car and the pedestrian?

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            Jogger glares at me as I slam on my brakes.
            Oh, yeah. How dare you stop your vehicle and avoid crashing into an unobservant person!

Quoth Jetfire View Post
            ...if I'm at a corner and waiting on traffic, I turn my back to the road so it's obvious I'm not waiting to cross (even if I am).
            I do the same thing, mostly because, when I'm a driver, I hate having to try to guess whether a person is going to cross or is just standing there.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Families stubbornly cross anywhere BUT that crosswalk.
            Watched a couple do that same thing on the main road near my house a while back. Five lanes (including center turning lane), probably just over 100 yards from an intersection with crosswalk signals. They dart across two lanes (after sunset and wearing dark clothes, of course) and pause in the turning lane, anxiously awaiting a break in traffic big enough that they could dash across the reset of the way. From the bike lane, I yelled, "Try the crosswalk, stupid!" They laughed.

By the way, notalwaysright, did I read elsewhere that you are in or near the Pacific Northwest's city of bridges and roses? If so, it was in part of your town where the pedestrian story happened to me.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
              By the way, notalwaysright, did I read elsewhere that you are in or near the Pacific Northwest's city of bridges and roses? If so, it was in part of your town where the pedestrian story happened to me.
              I think that's closer to XCashier if I'm not mistaken. I'm way up north. Not sure our nicknames. I think it's "city of subdued excitement." Might as well be "a large collection of breweries and pot shops." But in a good way, mostly.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

What I don't like is when I try to cross the two lane road right by my complex. I'm jaywalking. I know I'm jaywalking, there is no stop sign for anyone yet. However, there's a median so I do a dash to it, pause, and dash again. Perfectly safe.

What drives me up the wall is when cars stop for me. It's TWO LANES so if one car stops and another's coming, I can't just assume it will stop. Things get awkward so quickly and I want to scream at them, I DON'T HAVE A LIGHT! Just let me jaywalk in peace...

Comment

Working...
                X