This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look BOTH ways!

On my way into work this morning, I had to stop and get gas. The roads were pretty empty, except for one guy who was waiting to turn left out of the gas station. I am turning left into the gas station. I obviously have the right of way.

I'm more than halfway turned into the gas station when the guy waiting starts to turn left. INTO ME. He is looking to his right, never even looked to his left. I lay on my horn and start to try to swerve out of his way. He looked over and looked like the shit was scared out of him. He slammed on the brakes. I swear he stopped only about an inch away from me. I wasn't moving at that point, because I felt like any move I made would result in contact. I sat there until he backed up a little bit, and then I made my turn. I was shaking at that point.

Who makes a left turn and only looks to the right?

Someone that got their licence in a cerialbox

Comment

I'm sorry to say I made a similar mistake as a youth. Driving on a highway in Philly, I very much wanted to be in the left lane, which was moving, instead of the right lane, which was not.

Well, I was so busy looking over my left shoulder and making sure the left lane was clear...

yeah. didn't notice the guy's car directly in front of me that was stopped. So when I accelerated to merge into the left lane, I instead merged with his rear bumper.

Needless to say, 25 years of driving later I've never so much as tapped someone's bumper since, but it was a hell of a way to learn the lesson that you need to be aware of everyone and everything around you.

Comment

Quoth April View Post

Who makes a left turn and only looks to the right?

the guy that hit me when I was a pedestrian did that, and he hit me when I was even with him in the driver's seat(Meaning I was directly in front of him, he had zero peripheral vision. )
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It took me a second to contemplate "left turn...right of way...wait...what" before I remembered most countries drive on the left. In that case a left turn WOULD be the default right of way (unless there was a signal at the intersection or such like). Here left turns pretty much never have the right of way.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
          X