X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird situation

This is a long one, so bear with me.

There's a certain annual event that I attend every year I can. In 2013, I went to it for the first time in years (due to a poor financial situation). I love going there, especially seeing the friends who also attend it. Usually, I meet someone new each year.

2013 was no exception. I met several new people, one of whom is the focus of this story. I will call him A. We hit it off, hung out between activities, then went our separate ways after the event.

I need to stress here that I do not view A in anything even remotely resembling a romantic light. He is considerably older than I am and married, but even if he were my age, single, and far more attractive, I still wouldn't be drawn to him. Friendship only, and (in my view), there's nothing wrong with that.

Right. In 2014, I went to the event, he went to the event, we hung out, the event ended, we both went home.

Last year, he encouraged me to attend a similar event a few months before the "main" event. I agreed. We ended up sharing a rental, to save on costs. Plus, he's not in good health, and needed someone to remind him to take his medication, which I did. During that time, I mentioned that there's a certain item of information about myself that I don't like to share. It's nothing important; I just don't like other people knowing it, and other people don't have to know it.

Well, he perked right up and asked for the information. I didn't give it to him. A day or two later, he tried to trick me into telling him. I didn't tell him. The event went well, we went home. Fine, or so I thought.

The "main" event came a few months later. One day, A walked up to me with a smirk on his face, and said, "I've just found out [information that's none of his fucking business]."

The area was full of people, so I couldn't do much. The event ended a few days later, and we went home. I didn't say anything about it later. We hung out, as we usually do, went to the airport at the same time, and went to our respective destinations.

The more I think about it, the more pissed off I am. This guy asked me for information that was none of his business, and when I didn't want to tell him, he tried to trick me into telling him. When I refused to tell him, he turned to the Internet. Between the two events last year, he actually found my high school yearbook photo online and sent it to me during a Skype call! The night I met him in 2013, he Googled me and talked about the information he'd found the next day.

You're probably wondering why I wasn't pissed off before. The first time (in 2013), I didn't think much of it, because people often Google those they've just met and know very little about. The digging for information last year - yes, that was creepy, and I don't know why I ignored it. I hoped he would just drop the issue. Why on earth he would care about that information was beyond me. It still is.

But now, as I said, I am fucking furious that he did all this shit. Fortunately, I haven't heard much from him since the last event. I am just fine with this. I hope his wife read him the riot act, especially if she found out he'd been stalking me online. I will go the "main" event this year, but not the other one.

I had agreed to work with him on a project that (he claimed) is very important to him. Progress made: None. He wants me to do all the work except one thing, which he wants to do. I talked to a friend who agreed to be a part of this project, but I haven't heard anything from that friend in a couple of months. Other friends know about the project and are enthusiastic about it.

Recently, I sent an email to A and two other friends about this project, saying that I didn't feel we were getting anywhere. A said that of course we were, because Persons X and Y were posting about it online. Yeah, right.

So, I doubt that the project will continue as long as A is involved in it. I'm not going to try to continue on my own; I feel that it will die a natural death and then, if I can, I will resurrect it without A's involvement.

I am just wondering how to respond to A at the next event. I am not emailing him unless I email others at the same time. I will not email him about his shitty, stalker behavior, because I'm not going to put anything in writing that he may try to use against me later. He has a lot of friends, and they are very nice people (one of them told me that A's wife is also very nice; I haven't met her). So he's not some loser who latched on to me out of desperation - which, really, makes it all the more baffling that he would fixate on me. I would, I must admit, like to scream very loudly at him about all this shit, about the meaning of the words "privacy", "friendship", and "stalking". But I want to keep myself as under control as I can.

Thoughts?

Some people can't handle not knowing things. You did everything you could to keep that genie bottled up after the first slip, but you can't control his actions after that. It's no-one's fault that you couldn't say anything at the time, and if he's not said anything about it since then hopefully things ill stay that way; it's a lot easier to say "let it go" than it is to actually do it, but I think that's all you can do now.

As for the project, unless it's a really good idea it's probably best not to think about taking it over after A drops out, as he strikes me as the type that would make a ridiculous song & dance about you stealing their idea yadda yadda. Not worth the hassle.

Just because he has nice friends doesn't mean he can't also be a desperate latcher-on - it all depends on how he got those friends, and why they stay his friends.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Have you read The Gift Of Fear? If not, I would strongly recommend that you do so (I highly recommend it to everybody, in fact.) It explains what your gut is telling you about people who creep you out, and why.

This guy may just be appallingly clueless, or he may be potentially dangerous. I'm definitely getting "caution" signals from your description. I'd suggest never being alone with him; if you can get a trusted friend to accompany you to the event, do so.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yes, I've read the book. I'm not worried about him physically bothering me - I'm taller than he is, he's in his late sixties, his health isn't the best, he's overweight, and when I'm pissed off, I am a force to be reckoned with. I even scared my former "boyfriends" with my anger, and they were the kinds of guys who weren't easily intimidated.

We don't even live in the same country, let alone the same city. Attending the event is perfectly safe - I'm more concerned about my reaction than I am about his.

I remembered after posting this that a member of his family is having an important event right around the time of this year's "main" event. A had been complaining of it last year. I say, good on that family member! (Maybe said family member did it deliberately, to keep A away from the event. If so, my deepest gratitude.)

So, again, he does not pose any physical threat to me. I think he likes to view himself as still being young and attractive to women, and wanted to believe that my friendship towards him would have been much more if he'd been my age and single. It may have been a "what if?" scenario. But since I haven't heard much from him since last year's "main" event, something must have happened. Maybe he actually came to his senses. Maybe somebody (metaphorically) beat some sense into him. I hope so.

Comment

Frankly, I would no longer be friends with this man. He totally ignored your feelings in this matter, went behind your back to dig up the information, and made a point of bragging about it to your face. Not the actions of a friend. I'm guessing he has a streak of passive-aggressive control freak going on.

If you don't want to connect with him anymore, you don't owe him a detailed explanation. Just fall back on the old "That won't be possible" until he gets the point. Stay cool - not nasty, not insulting - toward him, don't be alone with him (just to keep the conversation away from the personal) and don't respond to any overtures like "Let's do this together" or "Let's have dinner", etc. I don't meant to suggest that he's coming on to you, but just the things that close friends normally do - you may not want to do.

Feel free to chuck this advice in the can if you want. Just my own feelings about people who behave the way he has toward you.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I agree, MoonCat. I'm well and thoroughly pissed off about all this shit. Since I haven't heard much from him in the past months, he may have decided to back the hell off. I did view him as a friend, and that's part of the reason why I'm so upset; I hate being so wrong about people, and it's happened time and again.

If he's at the main event this year, I can avoid him easily. This is a very large event, with lots of attendees, and it's easy to get lost in the crowd. It may be tricky dealing with people who know both of us, but I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. Since his friends have known him for quite some time, they are probably aware of his faults. I doubt that this is the first time he's pulled shit like this; as Gavin de Becker wrote in the aforementioned The Gift of Fear, people (with rare exceptions) don't act against their nature. If you say, "I didn't know he was capable of this!" you're really saying that you didn't know him as well as you thought you did.

Knowing what he's capable of doing, I'm opting out. As for the project, I think he really wants me to do he work, and for him to just pass on doing damn near everything. He made a "joking" remark about me doing his work in something he was involved in at last year's event, but I don't believe it was a joke at all.

Comment

Knowing what he's capable of doing, I'm opting out. As for the project, I think he really wants me to do he work, and for him to just pass on doing damn near everything. He made a "joking" remark about me doing his work in something he was involved in at last year's event, but I don't believe it was a joke at all.
              You won't be doing the work, will you?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I think the project is well worth doing. So much so, in fact, that I don't want A involved, for reasons that go beyond his obsessive behavior towards me. He talks of it as though it's very dear to his heart, but he hasn't done shit about getting it done. And if I'm going to be in charge of it, I don't want any dead weight.

So for the moment, I'm not doing anything.

Comment

Working...
                X