X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s time to kill the $100 bill

It’s time to kill the $100 bill.

I'm sure there ar many here who will agree.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    It’s time to kill the $100 bill.

I'm sure there ar many here who will agree.
    I can see that, especially in a digital world.

I personally would settle on killing the penny (cost 2 cents to make 1 1 cent penny), redesigning the nickle (cost 9 cents to make 1 5 cent nickle) an phases out dollar bills for dollar coins (the bills do cost less to make than the coins but studies show the coin will stay in circulation much much longer with a bill barely staying 20 years and coins can easily last 100 or more as anyone whos collected them knows. Also you are more likely to spend coins than bills for dollar coins are actually better for the economy) before I whine about hundreds.

Comment

Computers obsoleted the $500 and up denominations, since wire transfers between banks made the printing of those needless, I can see the $100 eventually maybe going that way, but it does have some utility, there are a few purchases I can see being made for in cash that are right around the $800 - $1,000 mark, an appliance, used car, etc. So there is a time where I'd rather be able to get that in hundy's instead of 4 times as many 20's, but, not a dealbreaker if it comes to pass.

Dollar coins though? No thank you. They keep saying that's gonna happen..... the list of failed attempts goes round the block from the Susan B Anthony to the Sacajawea, people just don't want em. Count me in on that, you can have my tradable George Washington Commemorative Portraits when you pry em from my cold dead hands, dollar coins get HEAVY in a hurry.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        ... I'd rather be able to get that in hundy's instead of 4 times as many 20's...
        I'd like to be allowed to pay 4 20's for each hundred...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          I'd like to be allowed to pay 4 20's for each hundred...
          Yeah, pay $80 to get $100 back = $20 profit.

But we in Canada already nixed the penny and replaced the $1 and $2 bills with loonies and toonies, respectively. And the rest of the bills are now made of plastic, so we're more careful about leaving our wallets in the seats of our cars in the middle of a very hot summer.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Wait, you get FIVE?

SINCE WHEN?!?!?!?!??!
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Dollar coins though? No thank you. They keep saying that's gonna happen..... the list of failed attempts goes round the block from the Susan B Anthony to the Sacajawea, people just don't want em. Count me in on that, you can have my tradable George Washington Commemorative Portraits when you pry em from my cold dead hands, dollar coins get HEAVY in a hurry.
              At my hotel, people always ask to trade dollar coins for bills so they can use the vending machine. Even half dollars are treated the same way.

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
              And the rest of the bills are now made of plastic, so we're more careful about leaving our wallets in the seats of our cars in the middle of a very hot summer.
              Since when does it get hot in Canada?
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

The reason why the US Dollar Coins never gain traction is the treasury keeps the dollar bills in circulation at the same time. The Canadian Mint yanked the Dollar bill when they introduced the Loonie, so we transitioned very quickly to the coins. And really it's nice now to know that if you have bills, you have a decent amount of money on hand; instead of pulling out a mass of mono-green bills, and realizing you barely have enough to cover the cheap menu at McDs.

Sure the Loonie is heavy at times, but since we have the Toonie as well, they don't tend to build up in pockets as much. And as pointed out, they do tend to be easier to spend.

As for ditching the hundred, it does feel like its days are numbered. Between counterfeiting concerns and digital transactions, its usefulness has been dropping but not enough yet to drop it. Maybe in another 10 years or so, we'll be ready to ditch the C-note.

Comment

There have been dollar coins practically since the beginning of the US. and the older ones (Kennedy dollar and its predecessors) were a hell of a lot bigger and heavier than the current dollar coins.

They weighed 4 times what a quarter does. Just like a half-dollar coin weighs twice what a quarter does.

rule of thumb, any of the coins that *used* to be silver work out to $20 a pound.

Comment

Dollar coins though? No thank you.
                    Dollar coins are great if you rely heavily on public transit.

Comment

Computers obsoleted the $500 and up denominations, since wire transfers between banks made the printing of those needless, I can see the $100 eventually maybe going that way, but it does have some utility, there are a few purchases I can see being made for in cash that are right around the $800 - $1,000 mark, an appliance, used car, etc. So there is a time where I'd rather be able to get that in hundy's instead of 4 times as many 20's, but, not a dealbreaker if it comes to pass.

Heh, i use dollar coins exclusively, and they're not that bad, so long as you don't carry a lot (I only carry about 8 to 10 at a time). Having worked in vending, I can tell you that its a lot easier to accept coins than bills (admittedly its more of a pain on the collection end). Throw in the fact that most people pay with a card, and really dollar coins make a lot of sense as a replacement for paper dollars, but only if there's a new mid level bill, like a $2 (these are still printed albeit in small infrequent batches) or a $3 (we've had this denomination before). There might be some logic in changing the five to a slightly higher denomination too, after all, thanks to inflation, everything costs more, so adjusting the currency makes sense.

As to people not using them, I think that's largely because they prefer to stay with what they're used to (and Susan B's were a terrible idea, nearly the same size and colour to a quarter). If they had no other choice, I suspect there'd be few complaints.
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Considering at the Dollar Admiral, we get a handful of jackholes who pay for their small purchases with $100 bills and then smirk 'thats all I have' while wiping out our change fund, I'd be more than happy to see the Ben Franklin's go away

Comment

Working...
                        X