This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detonated.

Reading some old stories on here reminded me of something odd that happened to me a coon's age ago.

About 20 years ago I had a '73 Dodge Challenger. It needed some work, and if I was smart I would have garaged it and fixed it up to sell at a profit. Hindsite and all that.

Anyway, the door locks were wonky. The driver's side wouldn't lock and the passenger's side wouldn't unlock. Something like that. So I never locked the doors. I never really kept anything of value in there except for an old gym bag with a couple dozen beat up CD's in it.

One afternoon I come home to find a message on the answering machine from the local police. They have a bag of mine down at the station. I had no idea what they were talking about - it didn't occur to me it was my CD bag. I didn't notice it wasn't in the back seat of my car when I jumped in to drive over.

Well, I'm told that the bag somehow ended up on the front step of a lawyer's house about 3 doors down from my own. Even at that time, pre-9/11, they considered it a risk since it was a lawyer's house a mysterious bag showed up there.

So they "detonated" it.

Fortunately the CD's themselves were not damaged. Some of the plastic casings were broken but that wasn't a big deal. I later purchased one of those soft CD cases and just put everything in there.

But I had no explanation as to how my bag got from my car to the front step of someone's house. The cops accepted my ignorance, fortunately, so I never got in trouble.

My theory: there's a grade school less than a block from the house. I suspect a kid maybe opened my car and was poking around, then grabbed the bag. If a parent or neighbor saw them, they could have yelled at the kid to put the bag the hell back where they got it. Then the kid could have dropped it in front of someone's house, not knowing who owned the Challenger. Maybe even another kid could have threatened to rat them out.

Bizarre, I say.

HAHA! Weird!

Comment

Perhaps the young thief didn't care for your taste in music, and were editorializing by dropping the bag at the "squarest" looking house handy?

Comment

Quoth LoTech View Post
        Perhaps the young thief didn't care for your taste in music, and were editorializing by dropping the bag at the "squarest" looking house handy?

That's no way to treat Weird Al Yankovic.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
          That's no way to treat Weird Al Yankovic.
          Phrasing!

You're implying that Weird Al needs to be treated, like he's some kind of disease, instead of a national treasure.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
          X