Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm used to Han's character from the Legends Expanded Universe (which is still exists, dangit, no matter what the Evil Mouse Empire has to say about it ). It's funny to see him as a respectable guy, grouse about it good-naturedly, and then get called on to get in touch with old smuggler contacts or do something shady. And I love the relationship he has with Leia in the books. They clearly love each other, which I didn't get as much in the new movie.

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
    Without spoiling who (the film does that well enough on its own,) the main character deaths in the anime film Grave of the Fireflies will have you bawling your eyes out unless you're completely heartless. This is also the movie to show to the disbelievers that refuse to see animated films as being anything other than Disney crap for kids. Sit them down with this movie, the most powerful film ever made about World War II and its consequences for the littlest of victims. Watch them cry like a baby unless they're a complete and total sociopath.
    Yeah, I refuse to watch that movie. I cry enough with happy Disney films (Mufasa! ), so I don't need to watch a movie that's designed to tear out my heart and smash it into tiny pieces.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 03-31-2016, 01:17 AM.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
      More recently, I would say the death of the Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) during "Countdown to Infinite Crisis", the Flash and Supergirl during "Crisis on Infinite Earths", and Skurge the Executioner in Thor #362 ("He stood alone at Gjallerbru. And that answer is enough.").
      Ted Kord, definitely, but also Sue Dibny (wife of the Elongated Man). Her murder really ripped me apart because at the time I'd really been loving the Superbuddies series where she was a prominent character (different authors were writing the Identity Crisis storyline, and hadn't factored the very popular Superbuddies series into their plans, causing SB to wrap up rather abruptly).

The death of Barry Allen in Crisis didn't gut me, it was a fit end that redeemed a boring character (and I am a huge Flash fan). Bringing him back to life was the biggest mistake DC ever made.

Several people mentioned Robinton from the Pern series, but his death didn't gut me. Rather, it wrapped up his role in the series in a fitting way.

I'd like to add Jon Snow from GoT. His murder at the end of Season 5 (haven't read the books but I know a similar death occurred in the books too) was a stunning surprise. Martin had put so much into that character, and there's no one in the Knights Watch with the leadership skill to hold off the White Walkers. So I'm very interested to see what happens on April 24th.

None of the deaths in Harry Potter particularly upset me. They all made sense for the most part. The deaths of Tonks and Lupin, and Fred Weasley made me unhappy only in that the deaths were meaningless and did nothing to add to the story. They were not well described, and therefore robbed of impact.

There is one death that really, really gutted me, but it wasn't the death of a hero. It as the death of a villain.

The death of Zod in Man of Steel ruined the movie for me. I love Superman. I knew the movie would be a bit darker with Zack Synder directing it, but he went way off the deep end. It really changed Superman and not in a good way. It eviscerated everything about who Superman is, and robbed him of a dignity and nobility that made the character so inspiring and heroic in the first place. If Superman can't figure it out, how can the rest of humanity?

It's the only Superman movie (other than Quest for Peace, which just sucked) I don't own. I'd rather watch Superman III again than Man of Steel, and as a result I haven't hurried to see Batman v Superman. I'm going to see it this weekend, but only because I want to see Wonder Woman. I've been told her role is worth the price of admission.
      Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 04-01-2016, 03:19 AM. Reason: Thought of something to add
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        There is one death that really, really gutted me, but it wasn't the death of a hero. It as the death of a villain.

The death of Zod in Man of Steel ruined the movie for me. I love Superman. I knew the movie would be a bit darker with Zack Synder directing it, but he went way off the deep end. It really changed Superman and not in a good way. It eviscerated everything about who Superman is, and robbed him of a dignity and nobility that made the character so inspiring and heroic in the first place. If Superman can't figure it out, how can the rest of humanity?

It's the only Superman movie (other than Quest for Peace, which just sucked) I don't own. I'd rather watch Superman III again than Man of Steel, and as a result I haven't hurried to see Batman v Superman. I'm going to see it this weekend, but only because I want to see Wonder Woman. I've been told her role is worth the price of admission.
        There's only one problem with your logic here, and it's that this wasn't the first time Superman has killed Zod. You mentioned the Christopher Reeve movies. I hate to break it to you, but if you go back and watch them again, you'll see that the Big Blue Boy Scout also killed Zod in those movies. And he's killed him in at least one comic story. So there's been, at a minimum, 3 versions of that story where Superman felt he had no other choice, because Zod is like a T-800 Terminator... he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until people are DEAD! There's only one way to end that threat permanently, and it's the final solution, the solution Marvel's Punisher employs every time he squeezes a trigger. No, it's not Superman's preferred solution to a problem. It's a tactical, military solution, and thus, a fitting end for one of Krypton's greatest military leaders.
        Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 04-01-2016, 04:13 PM.
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

I watched Schindler's List once. Never again; the girl in the red coat and the ending and just no. It was TOO well done, if that makes sense? It's just... I dunno, I don't have the words.

And there was Where the Red Fern Grows. Those poor dogs. It's why I never bothered finishing Cujo (it wasn't the dog's fault he got rabies) or watched Old Yeller (same thing). Anything where dogs and/or cats are badly hurt/killed (especially whene it's done to Prove Just How EVIL The Bad Guy Is-Pryrates, I'm looking at YOU) tend to be my Achilles Heel.

Comment

Robinton, Moreta, Spock, Wash...

For the first two, at least, I have The People of Pern -- great art book with spot-on paintings of the characters for the most part (it was made with Mme. McCaffrey's input). When I first discovered it in a library, I flipped through and stopped on one image that stood out -- The first thought in my head was, "Holy crap! That's Robinton!" even before I saw the title. I was right ^_^
            Last edited by EricKei; 04-02-2016, 01:05 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Bing Bong from Inside Out, and Hans Solo's deaths were shocking, but I kind of expected Hans Solo to be betrayed anyway.

Mufasa was another. His death even made real-life news as kids were just as shocked as I was, and afraid that their daddies were going to die.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                There's only one problem with your logic here, and it's that this wasn't the first time Superman has killed Zod. You mentioned the Christopher Reeve movies. I hate to break it to you, but if you go back and watch them again, you'll see that the Big Blue Boy Scout also killed Zod in those movies. And he's killed him in at least one comic story. So there's been, at a minimum, 3 versions of that story where Superman felt he had no other choice, because Zod is like a T-800 Terminator... he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until people are DEAD! There's only one way to end that threat permanently, and it's the final solution, the solution Marvel's Punisher employs every time he squeezes a trigger. No, it's not Superman's preferred solution to a problem. It's a tactical, military solution, and thus, a fitting end for one of Krypton's greatest military leaders.
                Superman didn't kill Zod in Superman 2. He took away his powers but he didn't kill him.

I'll have to look at the comics but I can't ever recall that Superman has ever killed anyone in the comics.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Superman didn't kill Zod in Superman 2. He took away his powers but he didn't kill him.

I'll have to look at the comics but I can't ever recall that Superman has ever killed anyone in the comics.
                  he threw him into a seemingly bottomless pit.... thats like saying if batman dropped someone off a building batman didn't kill him gravity did.

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                    Flint Fireforge, dragonlance
                    That awoke memories of a skilful misdirection from the authors. Stunned me.

In a similar vein, Faye from Something Positive.

EDITNOTE: Ellen Tighe from the new BSG.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      he threw him into a seemingly bottomless pit.... thats like saying if batman dropped someone off a building batman didn't kill him gravity did.

"Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                      --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        Who says its bottomless. You can't see anything from all the fog. I don't think it's that clear cut, but it is very four color.

In MoS, Superman breaks Zod's neck. There's no mistaking that.

Comment

Ooh, this could take a while.

Spock. 'nuf said.

Joyce Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. When the episode finished I went into the next room and just curled up with my mum.

Mufasa in The Lion King.

Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

Vera Duckworth on Coronation Street. So sue me. It's my escapism, and it was done really, really well.

Several in Diane Duane's Young Wizards series; Ponch (I've been there with my own dogs), Nita's mum and Ed the Master Shark had me sniffling.

Durnik in The Belgariad. Yes, he was resurrected shortly afterwards, but I cried.

Frodo at the end of the Return of the King (the books, not the films).

The Morrigan from the Iron Druid Chronicles (quite near the end of the series to date, so only highlight if you've read all the published books!)

Every dog in every film ever; the worst was the dog in I Am Legend (I full-on sobbed in the cinema, but we had just recently lost our own German Shepherd) although Marley from Marley and Me came a close second.

Any decent WW2 film; Schindler's List, The Pianist, etc. I never watch something like them unless there's someone I can go cuddle afterwards.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I agree with you on the dog from I Am Legend.

Even the character didn't want to watch it happen. :c
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Who says its bottomless. You can't see anything from all the fog. I don't think it's that clear cut, but it is very four color.

In MoS, Superman breaks Zod's neck. There's no mistaking that.
                              Well there was no sound of a landing so like I said seemingly bottomless. But it was to 70s....

Comment

Working...
                              X