This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammer gets away with it

Some months ago a customer placed an ad to sell an item (I'm being vague here on purpose). She chose to run the ad for 30 days. At the time, she specifically asked if there was a refund if the ad was canceled early. I told her, it's a flat price, no refund.

30 days runs out. The ad is never canceled. I call for a possible renewal. No, no, I'm told, the item has been sold. Peachy.

Couple weeks later a letter arrives and customer disputes the charge, crying fraud. Accounting asks what I remember. I told them everything I put in the first paragraph above. Chargeback denied.

She tried again. And again.

Finally they wrote it off. Not a large amount of money, so not worth the time.

I'm still pissed. Pretty sure she planned it this way.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

How is it not worth the time to keep saying "no"? Gah...
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

No refund should have been issued, and if scammer persisted then they should have been told to have a word with legal about the definition of a contract...

Comment

why wasn't it sent to a collection agency?

Comment

Quoth panamared View Post
          My guess is that it's probably a small amount, and it's highly likely the amount due isn't worth the hassle.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Not this time, but after she's done it for the tenth time, it's a lot of money. I will never understand why people think that rewarding scammers to save hassle is the best idea ever; far better to do what the people in charge where I work do... let the scammer leave and go and cost the competition money. XD
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth panamared View Post
              It was paid for at the time the ad was placed; we don't bill, it's prepay only. But at some point after this, she filed a claim with her credit card company saying it was a fraudulent charge - I don't know the details, don't know whether she claimed someone else used the card or what. All I know is I told her it was non-refundable if canceled, she never canceled it, she in fact let it run the full 30 days as ordered and told me the item was sold when I called to inquire if she needed to run it again.

So she is in fact lying when she says it's a fraudulent charge.

I don't actually know what happens in a case like this: Whether we have to to refund the money, or what.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Not this time, but after she's done it for the tenth time, it's a lot of money. I will never understand why people think that rewarding scammers to save hassle is the best idea ever; far better to do what the people in charge where I work do... let the scammer leave and go and cost the competition money. XD
                Please inform my pizza company/franchise of this PERFECTLY good and reasonable logic instead of their "fear of losing a 'customer' so let's just throw free shit at them AGAIN" logic.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Wrong

Quoth mjr View Post
                  My guess is that it's probably a small amount, and it's highly likely the amount due isn't worth the hassle.
                  Not worth the hassle is the answer, until you calculate how many times you pay out money.goods over the years.

I remember when the sales people at our store kept saying it was not worth the hassle to charge good customers the dollar or two dollars for little items they asked for after a big sales - but once they got it for free then they keep coming back. Next thing we knew the accountant showed the inventory was off by thousands of dollars.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I don't actually know what happens in a case like this: Whether we have to to refund the money, or what.
                    There's no reason you'd have to refund the money, as you have a chain of evidence to prove it's a legitimate charge.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                      There's no reason you'd have to refund the money, as you have a chain of evidence to prove it's a legitimate charge.
                      Well, she wants her money back, and I was told they decided it wasn't worth fighting. I honestly don't know what that means in accounting terms but it sounds like "refund" to me. So I marked her account in our system with ALL the details as a warning to anyone here who might speak to her again.

Comment

If it was on a credit card, the card vendor will simply reverse the original charge (she gets her money back and you guys have that much less coming in on your next statement).
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X