Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm considering buying older game consoles...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kazim View Post
    You do know that the PS3 will play PS1/PSX games, right?
    But if you want to play PS2 games, you either need one of the earliest PS3s (with a miniscule amount of storage space), or a PS4. Most PS3s won't play PS2 games, and mjr expressed interest in the PS2.

Which is why my own PS2 needs to survive until I finally get around to getting a PS4 myself, because I don't want to have to replace those games.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Remember that older 'fat' PS2s tended to have issues with the dreaded Disc Read Error. Had two of ours succumb to that fate; our slimline model hasn't developed it yet, but we don't use it terribly often these days. Never been a huge fan of systems with optical drives and hard drives; too many moving parts to break down...
      -Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
        Remember that older 'fat' PS2s tended to have issues with the dreaded Disc Read Error. Had two of ours succumb to that fate
        Yep, I remember that problem. Luckily all I ever had to do was clean the laser lens, and I had one of the PS2's that was about 6 months after launch.

Comment

I am currently on my third "Launch Model" (PS2-compatible) 60 GB PS3 ('chrome' edges, 4 USB ports, memory card reader). This is the CECHAxx line. You may be able to get one off of Amazon or its eBay store, they sell them for a fixed price between $160 and 180 when available.

PS3 model comparisons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

In order to play PS2 games, you need to download a special applet (via the Playstation store on the PS3) that modifies the BIOS a bit to allow PS2 discs to be recognized. I am not 100% sure, but the applet may no longer be available on the store for new users. What I DO know for sure is that, if you've downloaded it in the past, it'll still be accessible via your Download History.

Note that there is another 60GB model that does not play all as many PS2 games the CECHCxx line -- I wanna say mine does about 80-90% of them, which is as good as it ever got. ALL PS3s can play PS1 game discs. If you have a bunch of saves on PS1/2 memory cards, they can be transferred via a $15 transfer cable/dongle if you can find it online.

You can upgrade the hard drive with pretty much any laptop-size HDD, including SSDs -- Depending on the game, the latter may or may not offer a notable speed increase. One major caveat: DO NOT move a hard drive to another PS3 unit without backing up the saves first -- it forces you to Initialize (format) the drive to link it to the new hardware. I lost over a decade's worth of PS1/2 saves this way when my first PS3 gave up the ghost. Oddly, I've never gotten the disk read error -- just one blu-ray drive coking out and one motherboard death.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            But if you want to play PS2 games, you either need one of the earliest PS3s (with a miniscule amount of storage space)
            If you can snag one then the storage space is negligible. Get a laptop hard drive in the size you want and swap it out.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ALL PS3s can play PS1 game discs.
              I can vouch for this. I've got a 500GB Super Slim model, and am currently playing through FF9 for my kids on it instead of my PS2 (partly to try it out, and partly so I can use the PS3's wireless controller instead of the wired PS2 controller).

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              If you can snag one then the storage space is negligible. Get a laptop hard drive in the size you want and swap it out.
              Fair enough.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

The wireless PS3 controller is awesome, it's just too bad it won't play the imports i have

Comment

IIRC, the only way the PS3 is region locked is that you can't play PAL games on NTSC systems.

Comment

You can't play NTSC PS1 games on PAL PS3 iether

Comment

Working...
                    X