This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have to wait?

It's lunch time, two of our tills are down, and cars are queuing round the corner. We have half our pumps closed off, with one person on the till, one stacking shelves and the other on the phone to the IT people. I'm the person on the till, Sarah is stacking shelves. We're swapping around every so often.

The SC marches past the queue and angrily shouts, "Why is it so busy? Why can't you open another till? Where I work, you'd never get away with doing nothing when there are customers waiting to be served!"

I assume she is referring to Sarah, as otherwise, it makes no sense as I have spent the last hour frantically serving customers. I reply, "I'm sorry, but two of our tills are broken. We're trying to get one of them fixed, but it'll take time. One of my colleagues is on the phone now; you will have to be patient."

The SC snaps back, "I haven't got time to be patient! I'm going to complain!" and storms off.

~~~

Result of the SC's complaint? Absolutely nothing. Our manager just shrugs, says, "Wow, what a crazy," and dismisses it.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Actually the answer to her question is, "Because everybody can't be first."

I mean, even if all your tills were working, and all the pumps were working, what are the chances that there wouldn't be a line and she wouldn't have to wait anyway?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Didn't you know that the whole earth revolves around where she is standing?!

A state of mind most SCs seem to have...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Actually the answer to her question is, "Because everybody can't be first."
        There's another answer; "You don't have to. There's the door - it works outwards as well as inwards."
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I don't understand folks requirement to complain. I mean, the SC had to remove a key and get out of a car. Whoopty crap. Last week I was tooling around on the motorcycle just riding because 65F weather in February! No agenda, no reason to be anywhere, just because life on two wheels is better than four. I wear an armored jacket, armored gloves, helmet, armored boots, and jeans (yeah... need to do something about that, but $150+ for armored pants??) and typically sling a backpack around since I have no means to easily carry anything back home if I buy something while out.

Now I mention all the above for a reason. As I was tooling about I ended up hitting reserve on my bike. Which means having to faff about with a little knob to switch from the main to the secondary as I bop down the road. Fun times. Did I mention the engine starts to stutter and try to stall as this is happening? Yeah. So that happens as I'm out about a mile from a gas station. Joy! I can refuel and continue my hooligan ways.

To refuel I need to kill the bike first. Than strip off the gloves. Than faff about with that @#$@#$@# backpack that's not wanting to come off my shoulders so I can grab a credit card. Oh, and don't forget to yank the keys out of the ignition so as to remove the locked fuel cap off the tank. While I'm waiting for the swipe machine to come back from talking to outer space, I'll just pull up my google doc for logging mileage. So, the card machine is telling me to go ahead and pull the pump and select a grade. So I do that. And wait. And see if maybe there's a little mechanical thing to push up near the pump handle. And wait. Annnnnnnnnnnd sale cancelled. The hell? Repeat with the swiping and waiting and pushing buttons and not getting fuel. So after about 5 minutes of not getting fuel, I reverse all the above and just go 3 miles down to another station. I suspect that they've not updated for chipped cards. But there was no wailing and gnashing of teeth. They just didn't get my business. Why do folks make an event out this crap?
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Because they're much too important to have to go through all that shit.

Legends in their own minds....

Comment

Everyone has to wait. Why? Cuz our fuel is the cheapest fuel in town so we're always busy, and if you don't want to have to wait, then feel free to drive down to the petrol station that killed Spongebob for fuel which is far more pricey but without those pesky queues.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                and if you don't want to have to wait, then feel free to drive down to the petrol station that killed Spongebob for fuel which is far more pricey but without those pesky queues.
                But they said they were sorry, even lay down on a bear skin rug while doing so.
                Cookies for the reference.

Comment

Working...
                X