This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
    Then the customer can apply for a job there since she feels that there are not enough employees.
    Or they can buy more stuff.

Not that I've ever told a customer this...a few times.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There are shops which will dedicate an employee to a customer. They just have a markup which reflects the requisite overhead.

If you want less of a markup, you have to put up with less overhead. Which means you SHARE. Just like they taught you in kindergarten.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My local XCashier or Notalwaysright store generally only has 2 people working there. I've rarely seen 3 on "packed to the gills" days. Which means you wait at the cutting counter, and you wait at the cashier line. It's just how it is.

I have small local shops I can go to - and go when it's not busy like weekdays, and get all my questions answered and almost have a personal shopper. But I understand when and how to do it properly, and I know that I will pay $12-14 per yard at the fancy store and get better service.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          What she wanted was for some of the extra employees to be sent out. You know, the ones who are hired just in case they're needed, and sit out the back playing cards or doing crosswords or knitting in their Borg-like recharging chambers, until a customer wants them.
          Fixed that to reflect the customers' idea of how retail works.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Fixed that to reflect the customers' idea of how retail works.
            Exactly. The "Back Room" contains spare registers, spare employees, and of course all the extra merchandise you could ever want.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Then the customer can apply for a job there since she feels that there are not enough employees.
              We get that crap all the time but as we know my job (pizza delivery driver) is not a "real JOB" or is a job "below" most customers "snob" level. We have run 9 or 10 drivers on a "Let EVERYONE in my delivery area order pizza" night, run 90 minute delivery times (even letting people know UP FRONT about the delivery time) and they STILL bitch and complain.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I've got to ask, though, what's up at the Mart of Wal when it's super busy, and they have one employee standing in front of the checkouts with a clipboard? I'm not sure what said-employee is supposed to be doing, as they never seem to be directing people as to which checkout to go to, etc. Wouldn't that employee's time be better-used to open up another checkout till? I'm not complaining, just curious as to what this employee's job actually is, as I've seen it often, but have yet to see them actually do, well, anything.
                '

Comment

"In front of the registers" meaning you encounter this person before you check out or after?

If you run into them before you get to the register, I would guess they're there to sign people up for a store credit card or rewards card or something. Or they're in charge of running the front end and are just standing in one spot looking important.

Comment

Quoth BigBird View Post
                    I've got to ask, though, what's up at the Mart of Wal when it's super busy, and they have one employee standing in front of the checkouts with a clipboard? '
                    They're the CSM that's managing the front. They keep track of employee breaks and lunches, and tell replacement cashiers which register to cover so that cashier can leave. If you have twenty registers open, there is always a couple employees on break or lunch at any given time. It can get pretty chaotic with staff constantly leaving and coming back from breaks.

The CSM also responds to override requests, where they need to come over and enter a manager code. They also get change when it is needed, etc.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

BigBird, that's the coordinator. They're directing who goes to break/lunch and when, who goes to which register, who's coming in next and who's going home.

I had a rare manager for most of my time when I worked at Wal-Mart. When the store was jammed with shoppers, she would take the coordinator board herself and put all the CSMs on registers to reduce the line. Most front-end managers wouldn't do that.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                        I had a rare manager for most of my time when I worked at Wal-Mart. When the store was jammed with shoppers, she would take the coordinator board herself and put all the CSMs on registers to reduce the line. Most front-end managers wouldn't do that.
                        I'd see CSMs put on register long before upper management. Didn't matter how bad a manager was at coordinating breaks, they'd still rather take over the clipboard and put the CSM on register.

We had one particular CSM that was always on the clipboard. She hated being on register - it was a power thing, honestly. Made me giggle when we were getting slammed and the head manager made her run a register with the rest of us lowly cashiers.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          I'd see CSMs put on register long before upper management. Didn't matter how bad a manager was at coordinating breaks, they'd still rather take over the clipboard and put the CSM on register.
                          Did those managers respond quickly to change requests, override requests, check approvals (the older generation will not let them die for in-store use), or any other questions a cashier might have? If an underage cashier had somebody buying alcohol, were they quick to step in and do the transaction because the cashier legally couldn't?

Those things are why it's a bad idea to have the CSM on a register. If any of those things happen and the CSM is tied to a register with a line of customers, then everybody else will be kept waiting until the CSM can get off the register.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense, because they are usually there when it's very busy. Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know they are serving an important purpose, rather than just trying look busy while most of the customers are losing their minds at the idea of having to wait in line. Get over it, it's busy!

Comment

That would have been my answer for people like her . . . I'm sure we could put her "expertise" *coughtbullshitcough* to good use. Just go online to www.companysite.com and follow the links at the bottom of the page.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X