This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New glasses!

So I finally was able to pick up my new glasses this morning. Yay, no more tape on the temple!

I walked around for a few minutes after getting them fitted, and noticed there was an area in my left lens, just left of center, that had a distortion. I figured I'd have to clean them. When I took them off to look at whatever was causing the distortion, I saw three logos engraved into the lens! (A "74", something that looked a bit like the Superman logo, and one other.)

WTF! Who the heck thought it was a good idea to engrave logos right outside of the central area of the lens?

So I'm back to the glasses with tape, and the place will be calling me when the new glasses have new lenses....
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

They've been doing that for quite some time, and I don't know why. My own glasses have a little circle about half an inch from the edge of the lens.

It's not like people stare straight ahead all day. We do move our eyes, look out the sides, etc. Putting weird stuff off to the side is bound to be annoying.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Logos on the samples used in-store, sure. But on the actual, usable lenses? O_O That's all kinds of stupid, for many reasons. Having something engraved on the earpieces would at least be reasonable.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's only one excuse to have a symbol on the lens itself. A capital "H" in a circle indicates that it's a hardened (i.e. rated for use as industrial safety glasses) lens. It has to be marked on the lens itself as proof of the rating. Usually it's positioned so that when the lens is cut to fit a rated frame it'll be at the extreme edge.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wow, that's weird! I got my new glasses a few weeks ago and they don't have anything like that.

Comment

That's not normal. Someone messed up if you have an engraving.

Comment

Are your lenses single vision? If they are progressive (no-line) there will be 2 circles with a line through them to indicate seg height and a number to indicate bifocal strength.

Comment

Single-vision. And these were very distinct letters, numbers, and graphics.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

I don't have an answer for you on why. Did you get it straightened out? I'd be pretty pissed if something like that happened to me, especially since my new glasses cost me a week's take-home pay, after insurance.

Comment

Let alone enduring the wait for new glasses to arrive and then STUFF on the lens. I'd be ticked too.

Comment

Still waiting...

Comment

Those are lens markings, and you shouldn't really be able to notice them. They serve to tell the optician or Optometrist looking at your glasses what kind of lenses you are wearing. They can serve to designate materials, lens type, progressive type, seg height and add power as previously mentioned, and any treatments that have been applied to the lens. We have several large binders at work that serve as our "bible" for reading various lens markings.

Comment

Got a message late last week that the new ones were in. Picked them up on Friday. No visible markings, yay!!

No idea what happened with the others. The markings were pretty sizable (like 2-3mm each) and they were just outside my central field of view in the lens.

Comment

Working...
                          X