This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    GODS I WISH that were the case 40 or so years ago. ANY meat (or meat product if you will) that was served in my HS cafeteria was "suspect". The burgers might have had someone whisper "meat" over them during the prep and cooking process (LOTS of filler possibly soy). The "pizza" had a real crust some kind of "sauce that was red" but the "cheese" and "meat" toppings again no one was sure of what they actually were.
    Sounds like my grade school and high school. We used to joke that all of the frogs disappeared from the biology lab the day before the cafeteria served meatloaf. Our pizza tasted like cardboard topped with ketchup topped with rubber cement. The veggies were always canned, never fresh.

The chicken a'la king wasn't bad, and grilled cheese sandwiches, tater tots and applesauce were always safe bets.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Four!

Quoth Marmalady View Post
      The Boss ftw!

I can remember getting four chew sweets for a penny - either blackjacks (liquorice) or fruit salad. Don't know if they're even made any more.
      Are you kidding, I remember as a kid only getting two chew sweets for a penny. I was ripped off forty years ago!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        Never heard of this place.

I do remember some cheaper prices. One thing my brother and I love to do is watch old episodes of ADAM-12 (1968-1975) and look at gas and grocery prices when they go by or stop at a gas station or grocery store. Or the prices in the grocery store windows in THE BLOB (1958).

Of course you have to remember salaries were a lot less then too...
        I've recently gotten back into watching The Waltons, which is set back in the 1930's and 40's.

If you ever watch an episode, take a look at the price list on the wall behind the counter at Ike Godsey's store. Now that's going back a ways . . . not to mention wages were much less back then and the standard of living was lower. No electronic gadgets like tv's (until after WWII) and computers and mobile phones back then.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
        X