This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodbaby question

I bought a woodbaby shoulder puppet this past weekend and have been searching all over but can't find an answer to a simple question. Where should I NOT wear it? I mean to school and work are obvious but what about other places?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1464454787293[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	2033672 this is a woodbaby for those that are going "WTF is a woodbaby?"
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

I have only seen people wearing them at cons, never in public, but if you want to wear it out I see no reason not to (I mean, not on a color run or someplace it could get ruined, obviously). I bet kids would be enthralled with it!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      I have only seen people wearing them at cons, never in public, but if you want to wear it out I see no reason not to (I mean, not on a color run or someplace it could get ruined, obviously). I bet kids would be enthralled with it!
      I was thinking along the lines of if I have it with me at say walshart I should say out of the electronics department because of the magnets

Comment

There hasn't been a portable media capable of being erased by a "normal" household magnet since the days of the 3.5" floppy. You can stick a USB drive to the fridge with a neodynium magnet with no data loss nowadays.

I'd have to do some digging, but I remember reading an article where they tested just how big of a magnet it takes to "movie erase" (AKA, flip a switch and the data is GONE) a hard drive. On the level of one of those electromagnets used to pick up steel plate at a factory, or the 3' diameter magnet used at the scrapyard that lifts entire cars.

Most people don't realize just how strong the magnet that moves the heads inside a hard drive can be. Some of the strongest magnets by size that I've played with. Kinda tempted to go smash a busted drive and tie it's magnet to a fishing scale and quantify it.
        Last edited by BearLeeBadenaugh; 05-31-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

So I shouldn't worry about causing damage if I had it on my shoulder going to say an electronics store and walking around?

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
            There hasn't been a portable media capable of being erased by a "normal" household magnet since the days of the 3.5" floppy.
            That's true, but there are also other problems that can occur with electronics + magnets.

For example, I was recently looking into a new tablet and a matching case. I found a tablet I wanted, but every case I looked at appeared to have magnets in it, as the reviews would complain about the magnets in it interfering with the tablet's pen. And this is just from a magnet meant to hold the case closed- not a very powerful one.

I don't think the woodbaby would interfere with anything at an electronics store, at least not enough to worry about, but it's a good idea to keep it away from things that might have weaker magnets in them, like tablet pens.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

well thats cool now I just need to practice and give it a name. Maybe I should take suggestions for a day or 2 and then have a poll?

Comment

Aragarthiel, one of the Samsung tablets, like the Note 3? They use a digitizer created by Wacom for their stylus interface, which is susceptible to magnetic interference at very close range. Pretty much the magnet has to be touching or nearly so. Many of the manufacturers are fixing the problem by modifying the magnet closure, either with special monopole magnets so that the magnetic field doesn't extend to interfere with the screen or dampeners(I don't recall the technical term. I've bought super magnets, and they come shipped with a metal plate on the active face, so they're stuck to the face rather than say sticking to the UPS truck).
                Last edited by BearLeeBadenaugh; 06-01-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Now I just need to name it and find a way to get people to stop confusing it for a parrot

Comment

Working...
                  X