This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation

Now that spring is here, I want to take some vacation. I can't afford to go anywhere, but a week off from work would be nice.

My work still doesn't have a branch manager. I'm the only lender who's here regularly - Goodhair is in the office one or two days a week, and never for the full day. Even some of the tellers have mentioned they don't feel comfortable taking vacation when we've only got four full-time employees at our branch, especially since the part-time teller has the work ethic of wilted lettuce.

Also, because we don't have a branch manager, I'm not sure who my supervisor is. So I'm not even sure who's supposed to approve my vacation. Ted is the person who "oversees" the branches, so I talk with him almost every day. But I think my supervisor is the Senior Loan Officer (who's also the bank president). That's who I've been calling on the rare instances I'm out sick.

When I talked to Ted yesterday, I mentioned wanting to take vacation and my concerns about covering my duties. He was sympathetic. At least he didn't immediately say I couldn't take vacation. He thought we could have the tellers direct any loan customers to him while I was gone on vacation, but he'd have to verify that was ok with the Senior Loan Officer first. [sigh]

I'm going to take vacation this summer. It might not be as soon as I want, but they can't deny me the vacation I've earned. I need some time away from this place.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

I hear ya. A month or so ago I booked the last week in May off for exactly that reason: just to get out of The Clusterfuck for a while. Like you, I can't afford to go anywhere, and I will certainly spend the bulk of that time scrubbing out my apartment, which is in desperate need of it, AND I am do not get paid vacation time, but ...

At this point I don't care. I just want to wake up in the mornings and know I don't have to get in my car and drive to WTF-Is-Going-To-Go-Wrong-Today.

Hope you can get it all straightened out.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Thanks, Pixelated. I talked with Ted today, and he said to go ahead and put in for my vacation. We'll have any loan customers directed to him while I'm gone.

Yay! Now I can look forward to vacation without worrying. (Well, no more than normal, anyway.)
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Good luck with the vacation. I am in DC right now on my vacation. I have already spent about 8 hours on the phone/computer taking care of problems ove the past three days. Looks like I'll be getting one of my vacation days back.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My daughter is in private banking and they are required to take 5 consecutive days of vacation each year. While they are on vacations, they are audited to make sure nothing shady is being done.
          "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth freeatlast View Post
            required to take 5 consecutive days of vacation each year. While they are on vacations, they are audited to make sure nothing shady is being done.
            That makes a whole lot of sense. So many scammers get caught that way.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

We are also required to take 5 consecutive vacation days per year. As far as I'm aware, there's no special auditing done. But it would be a good time to catch fraud and embezzling.
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

You don't have to do an audit. Sometimes, you just need to sit back and watch what fails.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

...or what succeeds...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                  X