This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude/Uneducated Kid

This happened actually about 3 hours ago, while I was at the checkout at a Zellers.

Stupid Kid: SK
    Me: Duh
    Cashier: C

So, I'm just standing there swipping my card on the debit machine when the kid that was
    ahead of me earlier at the till is now behind me and says something to the cashier guy:

SK: Bag.
    C: What?
    SK: Bag.
    C: Oh, here [hands kid a bag]
    Me: [to rude kid] You know... you might get helped faster if you used please and complete sentences when asking for something. Next time say please, mkay?
    SK: [is opening bag to put his stupid coke in it, walks off, never saying a word to me]
    C: Yeah.. I didn't know what he said at first.
    Me: Damn kids
    C: Have a good day.
    Me: You, too.

[end scene!]

Sigh.

Yeah really, why did he need a bag for a coke anyway?

Sometimes in addition to disdaining needless packaging I can't resist taking a shot at waste. Now, I'm very unethnic looking, so I easily forget people might suddenly assume I'm from elsewhere when I exude mock disgust about American waste, so I try to add that I'm a native.
    I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Ooooh, that gets on my nerves! They ask for a bag for one item and then throw it(the bag) down in the parking lot right when they walk out the door. Or they ask for double-bag for something that weighs less than a pound. They'll say "I'm walking". Well, unless you plan on twirling the bag around your head a few dozen times on your two block walk, the bag isn't going to break. They always seem to do this when there is a line, too.
      USN Retired

Comment

Or when they want bags for things that are too heavy or that won't even fit in bags. I work in a gas station. We don't have 12 different sizes of bags to offer customers. There's usually just one size of bag, and our bags are pretty flimsy too. But most customers are just buying one or two items anyways, so it doesn't really matter.
        The worst is when customers want a bag for a jug of milk. I never really understood that. It's hard to find a bag that is strong enough to hold a jug of milk, and besides, the jug itself has a handle on it so it's not that hard to carry. I once had this lady bitch at me because I didn't offer her a bag for her jug of milk. Apparently, I was supposed to have known that she was walking...

Comment

Or environmentally-unfriendly styrofoam like it's a take-out order that has to be kept warm, instead of leftovers. And pizza places--an employee once admitted that foil, like I like, keeps it fresher and takes up less room in a fridge that needs to be cleaned out, but people want wasteful big boxes to keep it looking nice and so air can get in

I've even been told by restaurants they have NO foil OR plastic for me, not even old food wrappers

Comment

I ran into a kid like this at the grocery store the other night. He was at the candy machine near the door as I was leaving, and apparently he didn't have enough money for whatever it was he wanted because he planted himelf square in my path and said, "You got fifty cents?"

I did, and thought what the hell, might as well, so I gave it to him, but said as I handed it to him, "Here, but it's really not a good idea to ask perfect strangers for money."

I wouldn't have dared trying that when I was little.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc

I did, and thought what the hell, might as well, so I gave it to him, but said as I handed it to him, "Here, but it's really not a good idea to ask perfect strangers for money."
              Why not? You gave it to him, right?

He gets what he wants when he does that, so apparently, it IS a good idea.
              Last edited by Ree; 08-06-2006, 06:01 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                He was at the candy machine near the door as I was leaving, and apparently he didn't have enough money for whatever it was he wanted because he planted himelf square in my path and said, "You got fifty cents?"
                "Why yes, I do, thanks for asking." :walks away without giving over any money:

Then if the brat protests, you say, "You just asked me if I had the money. You didn't ask me if you could have it, and you certainly didn't say 'please'!"

Sometimes I can be incredibly evil.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Gas Station Girl View Post
                  The worst is when customers want a bag for a jug of milk. I never really understood that. It's hard to find a bag that is strong enough to hold a jug of milk, and besides, the jug itself has a handle on it so it's not that hard to carry.
                  At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the look.

I don't understand, I really don't.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I would have walked right over the kid
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                      At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the look...
                      I never put anything with a handle in a bag unless they ask for it. I am guilty of double bagging alot, but that's because our bags are complete crap and you need at least 2 or 3 if you're carrying them more than a few meters.
                      Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        "Why yes, I do, thanks for asking." :walks away without giving over any money:

Then if the brat protests, you say, "You just asked me if I had the money. You didn't ask me if you could have it, and you certainly didn't say 'please'!"

Sometimes I can be incredibly evil.
                        Sounds like what my Dad used to do when he worked at Citimortgage as an underwriter.
                        Any time someone asked him for help, he'd ask if they had a quarter.
                        After they started digging in their pockets: "I don't want one, I want to know if you have one."
                        On one of his anniversaries at the company, his coworkers did up his cubicle in Hershey's Kisses (cause he always had them available for others to snack on) and piles of quarters. He ended up something like $15 richer from that day alone.
                        Last edited by Imogene; 11-24-2006, 03:54 AM. Reason: Letter B, Letter B, Letter B-hee, Letter B
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

A friend of mine actually encountered a kid like this on a subway in California. Kid was going through the car holding out his hand at people in the car. Amazingly, people were giving him money. He got to my friend and my friend just said "Oh, HELL, no."

Rest of the trip, the stupid kid acted like my friend had hurt his feelings. I guess he'd never gotten THAT response before.

Comment

This thread reminds me of something that happen a couple months ago and well, the AM who was on duty that night hasn't work there for a month or two (medical leave).

Anyway a couple preteen boys came in the store and one of asked if a gold watch he showed me was real gold (yes, that is what he asked). I was thinking becuase you would think a watch that sells for 10 bucks would be real gold and not mention were a discount store (well, it's really a dollar store but not everything is a dollar) so obivously we don't sell high end stuff. I told him it wasn't real gold and that it just gold filled. He didn't buy becuase I don't think he had the money and so they left so I didn't think much about it.

Well, anyway they came back and well, cause some trouble for us. In turns out they were asking people for money (I think it was for that watch I'm not quite sure) that the AM saw them do that and they took also took a package of cookie candy bars. They took some out for them to snack on and the AM caught them in the act. I couldn't remember she asked if they were going to pay they didn't have any money anyway (the package was a dollar) and told them that they are not welcome back . She also said if they did come that they have to have parent with them and if pay for those snacks they had. Anyway she told me to look out for them if they come back even without parent and we also found an empy watch box but I don't think they confess to stealing that. Well, I didn't tell her what happen with me when they were in there before even through she could have used the laugh.

Anyway it seems like we found a few more empty watch boxes and so we had to put the watch display in front of the store near register area. I kind find it odd people would steal a 10 dollar watch I mean it's kind of silly even though their not bad looking it just there is good chance they won't last a long as a more expesinve watch and might not even work.
                            Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                            My space
                            Facebook

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                              At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the look.

I don't understand, I really don't.
                              I thought all stores autobagged and looked at you like you were some wacko greenie if you asked otherwise. If they think milk should be bagged because it might leak, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of their products.

Comment

Working...
                              X