This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up the phone and...

I heard simply, "Hi, how are you today? I would like to place an order to-go."

I think I was stunned into silence for a couple of seconds. As soon as I regained my senses, I continued the call:

Me: I'm doing well, thank you. What can I get for you today?
    Nice Guy (NG): I would like xxxxx, please.
    Me: *asks various order-related questions, and gets to the end of the call*
    NG: Sounds great! And about how long will that be?
    Me: About ten minutes. We're kind of packed tonight.
    NG: Wow, really? Well, that's no problem at all. I will just wait a little bit and then come in. Thank you!
    Me: Thank you!
    NG: Bye.
    Me: Bye.

*click*

It was as though this caller was heaven sent. No horrific mumbling, no hard to understand order (ie: I want the pancakes that aren't really pancakes, you know, they're made of potato bits), he just picked up the phone and acted like a human being.

Nice guy, you made my week!
    check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

Glad to hear it, Cloudiko, but one question...

Quoth cloudiko View Post
    9ie: I want the pancakes that aren't really pancakes, you know, they're made of potato bits)
    Did that guy mean latkas or hashbrowns?
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I assume a 'potato cake/potato scallop'.

Comment

Am I alone on the notion that we're excited to hear people behaving well and being respectful is rather depressing?

I would hope that general respect would be common, but it isn't I guess.

At least there are some people out there who are wonderful and choose to treat us as humans instead of commodities.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post

Did that guy mean latkas or hashbrowns?
          He meant latkas, or just good ol' potato pancakes. They are actually pretty tasty, shockingly enough.

And yep, it is very sad that decient phone calls are a rarity.

Example of a bad call:

Dumb guy: *mumblemumble*potatoes.
          Me: What? I'm sorry, I can't understand you.
          Dumb guy: What kind of potatoes do you have?
          Me: *rolls eyes* We have potato pancakes, home fries (cubes of potatoes), hashbrowns, baked potatoes, and ba-
          Dumb guy: What are those ones that are cubes of potatoes?
          Me: The home fries?
          Dumb guy: No, I don't want french fries.
          Me: They aren't fries. They're cubed and seasoned bits of po-
          Dumb guy: *click*
          Me:

Comment

Quoth cloudiko View Post
            He meant latkas, or just good ol' potato pancakes. They are actually pretty tasty, shockingly enough.
            Damn Skippy they are!

As for the guy, he was just plain rude. I can understand not knowing what home-fries are, since I didn't know that was what those potato cube things were until you told me, but to hang up in the middle of you enlightening him was just rude.

Oh, and around here home-fries are seemingly the staple "I'm hungry but I don't want to actually COOK" dish. The way we do it is we figure out how hungry everyone is then chop up enough potato and onion to feed everyone, get out the appropriately sized skillet, and pan-frying it with paprika, salt, and black pepper.
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Damn Skippy they are!

I can understand not knowing what home-fries are, since I didn't know that was what those potato cube things were until you told me, but to hang up in the middle of you enlightening him was just rude.
              This might seem sad, but I'm actually used to people hanging up on me in the middle of what I'm trying to say. It cracks me up though. It's a better alternative than getting angry.

Oh, and around here home-fries are seemingly the staple "I'm hungry but I don't want to actually COOK" dish. The way we do it is we figure out how hungry everyone is then chop up enough potato and onion to feed everyone, get out the appropriately sized skillet, and pan-frying it with paprika, salt, and black pepper.
              Sounds delicious. I think I will try this tomorrow for breakfast.
              Oh, and because of you honing in on the potato pancakes, I had a severe craving for them tonight when I was at work. So I ate some of them on my break...so tasty.

Comment

Quoth cloudiko View Post
                This might seem sad, but I'm actually used to people hanging up on me in the middle of what I'm trying to say. It cracks me up though. It's a better alternative than getting angry.

Sounds delicious. I think I will try this tomorrow for breakfast.
                Oh, and because of you honing in on the potato pancakes, I had a severe craving for them tonight when I was at work. So I ate some of them on my break...so tasty.
                My late fiancee's grandmother is a lesbian, and said grandma's life-partner is a stereotypical Jewish Grandma, in the best possible sense of the phrase. She's got a family recipe for them that I've been begging her for ever since I first had it. She refuses to tell me, but she's left me her cookbook in her will, so I hope I don't find out her secret for a good, long while. Anyway, that's how I guessed Latkas first thing.

As for the home-fry-like concoction, it also goes great in a tortilla with your choices of condiments, or diced up REALLY fine, to the point it's nearly hash-browns with onion.

Comment

Damn...now you both have me hungry for potato latkes.

I only had them once when I was travelling, and they were delicious. I've craved them since, but have never been able to find a place that makes them to my satisfaction, or to live up to that first taste of them.

I tried making my own and they were awful. (I didn't actually have the recipe and I was trying to remember from when I read it in a cookbook at my Mom's house, so I think I left something important out of them.)
                  I had potato pancakes at a restaurant once and they weren't anything like what I had hoped or expected. Very disappointing.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    I didn't actually have the recipe and I was trying to remember from when I read it in a cookbook at my Mom's house, so I think I left something important out of them.)

I had potato pancakes at a restaurant once and they weren't anything like what I had hoped or expected. Very disappointing.
                    Your Saving Throw has gotten a critical success. You may re-attempt the feat WITH a recipe (LINKY).

And yeah, plain potato pancakes are very different from Latkas. The About.Com recipe I linked too isn't as good as the ancient family secret I tried, but they're passable substitutes when the craving hits.

Comment

Your Saving Throw has gotten a critical success. You may re-attempt the feat WITH a recipe (LINKY).
                      You are the best. I am trying this recipe very soon in the near future!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X