Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinitely Gritting My Teeth (Long-ish)

WARNING: This has just a dash of strong language and may sound whiney!

So, I have been doing a lot of psychoanalyzing of myself for the past few days. There comes a point in every situation where we must re-assess whether or not it is good for us and really worth our time. Today that situation is obviously my job. If you have been keeping up with General Work Chat, you will see a thread where I explain I will soon be getting a job with Bartlett Nuclear. However, it seems that day will not come soon enough.

Why the psychoanalysis you ask?

My relationship is suffering, most of all. I am unhappy at work, I am stressed and angry after work, and above all, I think about it and dread it all the time. I am taking frustrations that are really there for my manager out on my boyfriend, who I love so dearly. He avoids me now because of the stress, and the more he avoids me the worse I feel about everything... a rather nasty cycle.

Last night, as I was knee deep in Grey Goose vodka and Jägermeister, surrounded by Navy boys out on Fleet Week, and talking with my favorite waitress... I couldn't help but focus on work. Above all, I was just dreading having to go in on Saturday at 9:30 like I always do. I questioned again whether the manager's watch would be 4 minutes faster than mine again, and as such be yelled at for being late. I questioned whether or not all four new hires I had under my wing had finished the work for the day, and whether or not I was going to be harassed and yelled at the next day for their mistakes.

It's a very harsh pressure to be under. I dread every day I work (every other day except for weekends, which are two days in a row and something similar to chewing on razorblades). Before you call me a wuss, you all know as well as I do that retail is a bad gig to have sometimes. But to me it's become a depressing poison. I cannot sleep because I worry about it, I wake up tired the next morning for my job. When I hear the phrase "The Customer Is Always Right!" my blood pressure instantly skyrockets. My head an jaw jurts becuase my brow is always furrowed and I am always...ALWAYS gritting my teeth together subconsciously. It's gotten to the point where I cannot deal with it as fast as it comes in.

And that's not even counting the management...

Every day I work I am berated for something. I've had this one manager throw something at me once, he's told me I don't matter as a human being only a worker (A very long story involving Open Door Policy), and he also has a horrid temper. He throws tantrums like he's two years old, stomping his feet and growling, throwing clipboards. I suppose he is quite lucky I have not yet called thte Department of Labor, but becuase I didn't document dates, times, and possible witnesses it'd be an exercise in absolute futility. Perhaps the worst thing was when he yelled at me for being there at 9:34, scheduled at 9:30, doors open at 10. Sure it was legitimate, but he referred to me as having low intelligence becuase I couldn't 'read the schedule like an educated human being'. The new store manager kills everyone else with the way he requests things, in fact just about everyone in TVs today quit, writing "Fuck ______" on their 2-weeks slips.

This is all starting to get to me in a very negative way, piled on top of other undisclosed financial pressures and such. I am getting sick more often, my chest always hurts, and other limbs hurt a great deal without being used. I'm having sporaddic, nonsensical back pains, headaches, and a great deal of lethargy (probably due to the fact that i can't sleep peacefully).

I have read about the fact that certain people have certain predispositions to excel at certain things. I think, hopefully correctly, that my social and psychological disposition does not match one needed to survive happily in a retail and customer service environment. For one, I have noticed that I often feel pangs of anxiety with a full department, knowing that one will probably ask me for help when I am undoubtedly busy fixing something, which is my job. I also do not like having to kiss a lot of ass. Unless you are my boyfriend, I will not bend over backwards for your pleasure and service. I do my job, excute my repairs well, but I will not discount at your leisure. Above all, I hate lying. I often have to lie to make numbers as well as work on computers. I have to tell customers more is wrong with their computer than their actually is to gouge their wallets. I am actually encouraged to do this by some of the management. If I do not, my numbers suffer and therefore my employment status hangs in the balance.

It makes me sick, and sometimes makes it hard to look in the mirror. I have morals too. It may sound stupid but I hate lying.

I think I need a therapist or another job or both. I am already getting the latter in a few months, but I honestly do not know if I can hold on that long without hurting myself in the process. I don't mean cutting or anything overly masochistic, but mentally and academically. I am slowly counting the days, one by one, until I can finally leave this place and still make enough to pay my rent.

Anyway... thanks for listening to my novelization of why I'm about to pop blood vessels in my eyes and grind my teeth into dust.

I really needed it...

It's never too late to start documenting this garbage. So when they turf you or you quit, you have enough to go to the DoL and considering that a large amount of what they are doing is criminal activity (the lying to a customer is a big one) it would be fun to watch the fallout. There's therapy for you.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Please do youself (your health, your sanity) a favor and start looking for a new job.

You are exceedingly stressed out, and it's taking a toll on you.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Look for another job. It's affecting you physically. Get out.

Rapscallion

Comment

Look for another job. It's not worth the stress at all. I went down that same road you are going through earlier this year and I simply quit without caring whether or not I had a job. It's affecting you big time but once you quit you'll feel a lot better.

We're all here for you, we all know the frustration with dealing with the public.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

What everyone else said...this is soo not worth the stress you are under. In the meantime...

Try to carve out a little time each day for yourself, even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes to start. Close your eyes, take some deep breaths, and just sit. Or if that's not your style, find something to keep you occupied but that you don't have to think about too much (some kind of needlework, word-search puzzles, whatever).

Also, a therapist might not be a bad idea...even a few visits could help...they can teach you some coping strategies, for one thing, and give you a safe place to take out your frustrations so that you don't dump them all over your boyfriend or others in your life.

All the pains you are getting can be symptoms of depression (which of course goes hand in hand with stress). I used to get chest pains, too (still do, sometimes). When I get stressed I breathe really shallow without realizing it, and it makes my chest feel tight and achy. Take a minute once in a while to pay attention to your breathing during the day...you may be hyperventilating without realizing it. As simple as it sounds a few deep breaths really can help. (Sometimes I will cup my hands over my nose and mouth and breathe deep - same principle as breathing into a paper bag - and it helps to calm me down. I used to get panic attacks and it really helped.)

If you're having trouble falling asleep, here's a trick I've tried and it really works, once you get the hang of it (actually, the first time I really felt it start working it freaked me out and I jerked awake!). It's called 2 to 1 breathing, and basically you just make your exhale twice as long as your inhale. So if you inhale to a count of 3, exhale to a count of 6 (or 2/4, 4/8 or whatever you find most comfortable). You don't have to take especially deep breaths, the object isn't to fill/empty your lungs or anything like that. Just breathe and count. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but it really does help. You could also try to establish a ritual before bed...a bath or shower (your body temp naturally goes down when you are getting ready to fall asleep; the hot water can help facilitate that process); have a cup of tea (caffeine free, of course), read a not-too-exciting book. Avoid TV or computer too late; the light can keep you awake.

Oh, and go to your boyfriend, tell him you "love him so dearly" and ask him for a big, long hug. Hugs help

And here's a cyber-one from me:
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Just look hard for another job. I went through the samething, and I just simply quit. Your health is more important then, any job
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

All the pains you are getting can be symptoms of depression (which of course goes hand in hand with stress). I used to get chest pains, too (still do, sometimes). When I get stressed I breathe really shallow without realizing it, and it makes my chest feel tight and achy. Take a minute once in a while to pay attention to your breathing during the day...you may be hyperventilating without realizing it.

Oh, and go to your boyfriend, tell him you "love him so dearly" and ask him for a big, long hug. Hugs help
                I know, I'm concerned that it could be depression. My family has no chemical history but with this stress it's understandable that I could definately have some sort of situational form of depression. Especially the lack of interest in things I once loved to do and could do for hours, all the sudden at the drop of a hat poisoned, feeling distant and like I just can't bring myself to do them.

I have noticed that I have been breathing this way for several months now... ever since the management change, and a few other stressors. They fired everyone I loved to work with and replaced them with autonomous madmen. It is actually very annoying. When I take a full lung of air now, it hurts a great deal because I'm stretching my chest. I can't seem to get this rhythm going though. I can breathe deeply but I can't get my nervous system to take over. Always something I'm thinking about. Funny enough sometimes when there's a greater deal on my mind, I forget to inhale on occasion whilst thinking, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I tell him I love him every day. I wish I could prove it to him every day though. I need to be able to stop reflecting my anger on him he's everything to me. Hugs do help though, yes, hugs... Nice hugs.

See, it's hillarious, even as I'm typing this and looking at the clock I am dreading with each passing hour having to go to work tomorrow (11 hour shift in retail is equal to 3 days in hell, it's mathematically true). It's so awesome to feel this way so young. I just want to quit, I want to walk out tomorrow in a fury. Alas, rent does not pay itself and so I am stuck. I even took up minor smoking.

I apologize for any typos, I've been drinking a wee bit too fast tonight. But when smirnoff triple black is on hand, I can't resist that limey goodness. Also, it kind of sedates me.

Comment

OUT! OUT! OUT!

I was in a very similar situation. For example, I absolutely had to take a bus to work, even though the job was withing 12 minutes walking distance, because if I had walked to work, at every pace I would have the opportunity to think "F^ck this, life is too short" and decide to turn around and go back home. I was teaching unemployed people basic maths and English, and none of them were volunteers, they all had to attend or they lost their state benefits. So after 3 threats of violence in 8 days, ending with a lengthy session of bullying from my manager one Friday, I just totally froze. And apparently went a sickly grey colour.

I haven't worked since, and that was 2 years ago.

So what you must do is to start to document what is going on, so that you begin to control your own fate, and look for ANY other job. Go temping, if necessary, as that has the benefit that if you hate the work you can just say "I won't be here next week".

Go to the doctor, get some help, get referred to a therapist. Sorry, but I also recommend you drink less alcohol, as that is only a quick fix that may make things worse in the long run. (I actually made it through the first 6 months on Prozac, and to be honest, I still miss them, lol!)

You need to start rebuilding your self esteem, and the support of your partner will be helpful, so maybe show him this thread, so he knows how much you need him... You should have high self esteem anyway, as you are coping amazingly well in the circumstances. Proof of this is in your posts in this thread, for example - while I was at my worst, in the early months, my communication skills broke down almost totally, due to my reduced ability to concentrate, I think. (And I am an English teacher, with a good reputation for my skills in quickly building rapport with real students.)

Whereas you still have a good grasp on things. So act now, before you start acting and reacting out of total desperation.

Good luck, keep us posted, and if we can help I am sure we will.

Comment

I feel like in some ways I could have posted this myself. I am going through sometime similar at work now. I don't of course want to thread hijack but I agree, I would talk to someone who can help with stress management and ge tout as soon as you can. No job is worth your health! I have nothing new to say because everyone else posted great advice, just wanted to send some well wishes and a hug. Keep us posted.

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
                      I feel like in some ways I could have posted this myself. I am going through sometime similar at work now. I don't of course want to thread hijack but I agree, I would talk to someone who can help with stress management and ge tout as soon as you can. No job is worth your health! I have nothing new to say because everyone else posted great advice, just wanted to send some well wishes and a hug. Keep us posted.
                      If you wish to talk about it, feel free to "hijack". I consider any post pertaining to the original topic not hijacking. All of us who are going through things at work should have a chance to talk when we want to.

Also, I called out of work today. Needed a 'mental health day' so to speak.
                      Last edited by Pezzle; 08-12-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                        Also, I called out of work today. Needed a 'mental health day' so to speak.
                        Good for you. If you have sick time you can use, by all means start using it (strategically, of course). I never use my sick days and at the end of the year I realize how many I had and think 'why?!' Sometimes you need a day to recharge.

Checkup with a doc is a good idea. Antidepressants aren't for everyone but it doesn't hurt to discuss the options (preferably with someone who has a lot of experience and doesn't just write a script and send you on your merry way). I've been on them for 4 years (Effexor), and for a while when things were really bad I took Xanax when I needed it. It works quickly for anxiety but it can be addictive so you have to be careful. I haven't needed it for years but there was a time I couldn't get through a day at work without it.

Bagga's right...alcohol doesn't help. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually a depressant (which is not to say it's not fun once in a while ). Smoking doesn't do much for you either...you'd be better off going for a walk...moderate exercise can help offset a lot of the symptoms of depression/stress, too.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

Bagga's right...alcohol doesn't help. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually a depressant (which is not to say it's not fun once in a while ). Smoking doesn't do much for you either...you'd be better off going for a walk...moderate exercise can help offset a lot of the symptoms of depression/stress, too.
                          The drinking is more of a social thing usually. We'd gone up to the bar twice, just to hang out with our favorite people. The fact that work was creeping in on my mind during that was a very bad sign. Tonight, though, I'd been downing a few Smirnoff Ices to help me get to sleep. Not to mention, I've been on a lime-flavored-everything kick. It definately helped, and I thought things through.

I just can't drink enough to be a problem drinker! My stomach opts out before anything like that can happen.

Smoking, however, is enjoyable to me. It's a simple thing. I don't like to do it as often as I'd been though. In fact, I haven't for weeks simply because I don't feel like it. So I guess nicotine addiction hasn't beaten me upside the head quite yet.. then agan, I don't inhale, and I don't smoke cigarettes *BUT YES TOBACCO FOR CLARITY'S SAKE =D*

I'm looking for another job today, and focusing on my commission job that I wish I could support myself with

Comment

Thanks Pezzle, I do want to share what's going on, maybe someone can be of help?

Basically I will try to make this long story short. I start working at a TV station in town a year ago. I thought I was going to be more of a Marketing Assitant dealing with copy writing, some light clerical, research and stuff like that. It turns out that it was a sales position with heavy graphic design and clerical work that I have no experience in. I also had to run the reception desk, which again I had no experience in. However, I was totally willing to learn. The first issue was that the person who had my job before was still at the company, she is now a sales person and had to train me. My boss still went for her for many things and now after a year it turns out that she was always messing the Assistant position up. She wasn't scheduling commericals right and basically causing issues. My boss and her seem to be friends, so she can do no wrong.

A couple of months into the job someone close to me from undergrad died, he was a professor and I had known him for well over 10 years and he was really supportive of my work in theatre, directing and comedy. I was unable to take any personal time for this. I started getting ill from the stress of it but went to the doctor's who put me on some stress medicine. I felt better. Fast forward a couple of months, one of my best friends died suddenly in her sleep. She was my age and in theatre as well. Again, no personal time, I called in sick the day after her wake because I could not bare to go to work and deal with petty work issues.

My job was slowing being demoted to basically just copying things. My bosses behavior became erractic. He would yell at me for things that happened before I worked there and insulted me when I messed up saying "you have a Masters and you screwed THAT up, what is your problem?"

It got worse after I went on vacation for a week. My friend was being deployed and I was set on seeing her before. When I got back all hell broke loose. I was accused of things that had nothing to do with me and threatend with termination.

Now last week after suffering months of abuse at work I passed out and had to go to the hospital in an ambulance. I was dehydrated but the doctor saw something on my EKG he were concerned about, I have to go to the cardiologiist. I was also denied my raise and bonus, my boss told me I was getting a horrible yearly review tomorrow and I cannot have any stress until they know if my heart is okay. I am scared because I do have a history of heart issues, and my boss sees it as though I just don't like my job and that is why I am stressed. He does not seem to understand this is serious.

Comment

TO PEZZLE:

If you can afford to take some time off before you get your job at the Nuke Shack, DO SO, IMMEDIATELY. A job you're about to leave anyway isn't worth the stress and pain you're suffering. Trust me when I say having to tighten your belt up on finances for a little while is nothing compared to the weight that will be off your shoulders when you're out of that crap. I've been there, done that, burned the T-Shirt.

TO BDWAYBABU:

See what others have said to Pezzle. Get a new job, ASAP, where you don't have to deal with that messed up crap. I would've bailed back when the boss started getting personal about mistakes. No money is worth giving up human dignity. Okay, maybe for like $50/hr with an instant-vested 401k with a 10% contribution match and killer health/vision/dental, but I doubt that's your case.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X