This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't need to tip just for being a good human being

I worked at a home improvement warehouse, and one day one of the lot attendants brought in a lost set of keys. The keys included two of the big car keys with computer chips and door lock/unlock buttons and all that all built in, which can cost at minimum $60 or so to replace, and up to hundreds of dollars each.

They had a vitamin world card on the ring, and I called them up, relayed the card ID number, and got the person's home phone. It took maybe 10 minutes of my time to save them what could be hundreds of dollars in replacement costs, not to mention the disconcerting feeling that your keys are lost somewhere. I called, and they came in later that day to pick them up.

The customers came in and gave me an envelope; I tried to refuse it but they were absolutely insisting. If I didn't take it off the counter they were going to walk away and somebody else would. They thanked me profusely. After they left, I checked the envelope - they had given me $50 just for calling them.

I refuse to be jaded, and even if they took the keys without so much as a thanks I would do the same thing over and over again. I love that they just reaffirmed my faith in people. I'm a good person, and I am thrilled that other people are good too.

That was nice of you but I'm a bit perplexed that the vitamin store would just give you private info like that. Anyway, if you work for Home Depot I hope LP didn't see that envelope because I remember a lot associate that got fired for taking a $5 tip!

Comment

I've never called another store to get info, but I've used my store's rewards card to look up someone in our system to get a phone number before. I would have to imagine that MarcRocks explained himself, that there was a set of keys and he wanted to contact the owners, instead of just saying "I need their phone number." If that were the case, I wouldn't have hesitated to give out a phone number, or their name, and then if the number is listed in the phone book, the employee can look it up as well. Either way, a phone number really isn't as private as we wish to think it is.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

As a follow-up, yes I did explain who I was, where I worked, and what I was looking for when I called up Vitamin World. They gave me a name and phone number after the clarification. I offered to take the keys to the local VW store and have the customer go there, but got the number so I called them myself. I was a little surprised they gave out the info, but apparently I'm just so endearing they trusted me

I did work at Home Depot then; we actually didn't even HAVE a LPM at the time. But still, good thing I didn't get caught.

Comment

I still wouldn't have given it to you. A phone number is private for some people and for someone to just give it to some unknown person over the phone is dumb. You could easily be lying. Sure you can look in the phone book but if you can't even tell me this person's name then why should I give you their number?

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
            Sure you can look in the phone book but if you can't even tell me this person's name then why should I give you their number?
            Because he found a set of expensive, electronic keys that someone is probably severely upset over missing, and the only clue he has to their identity is their Club Card number?

In addition, he first requested to simply drop the keys off at Vitamin World and have them contact the person, which is not something a scammer would do, since it's too likely to backfire.

Remember, that unless you go with the idea that he's a lying bastard, the story he's giving is that he's trying to do a good deed. he also already has the card number, which is solid proof that he is in physical possession of either their entire wallet (which would have ID as well) or their key-chain.
            Last edited by JustADude; 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
            X