This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To our forum members from Texas

My sister just got a job in a call centre that serves all of North America. I used to do a similar job, and I mentioned to her that the longer you do it, the more likely you are to know just from the caller's accent and attitude what area of Canada or the US they are from, without even looking at the screen.

She said, "Yeah, I can see that. I can already peg someone from Texas, and not just because of their accent."

I asked how, and she said, "Oh, they're the nicest callers. They're never in a hurry, and they always want to have a friendly chat. They don't just jump to the business at hand. They ask how I am, and actually seem to care about my answer. I wish the call centre would have some sort of division I could join that only got calls from Texas."

She added that the only problem with Texas callers is trying to keep her call times down. Sometimes they don't understand that she can't chat too much.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of members here are from Texas, so I just thought I'd pass that along.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

I've noticed that a lot of people from down South in general are great to talk to--they've got the great accent, and they never seem to be in a hurry to get off the phone. And it's nice to talk to someone who actually cares about how my day was.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I have family in the Deep South and I must say, from the times I've visited, you are by far and away the friendliest people! I don't know if me having an English accent has anything to do with it! (I've had the "Please can I talk to because I love you accent" which I find extremely flattering because I think you all have great accents!)
      Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

Huzzah. However, my accent is roughly 95% St Louis, and 5% California somethin' or other. And even then, I didn't grab the accent as much as the proper way to say words.
        I was actually complimented on that by a friend's grandmother when she caught me out on the porch on my way in to see my friend. On a Sunday morning of all days, and her grandmother was relentlessly religious.
        "Did you go to church today?"
        "...No... I'm not Catholic... my church is everywhere I want to be."
        I could see her face fall, but later, during our little conversation she trapped me into, she said, "You speak so well."
        I went... "Thank you."
        And only then did my friend come rescue me from her grandmother's questions.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          I could see her face fall, but later, during our little conversation she trapped me into, she said, "You speak so well."
          I went... "Thank you."
          And only then did my friend come rescue me from her grandmother's questions.
          Reminds me, actually, of a time I got asked if I was in the SCA because I was that eloquent... and I think using pusillanimous when talking about an ex-friend of mine helped.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I'm from Texas and it's appreciated, especially considering how often we're stereotyped as ignorant rednecks.
            Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

They are pretty friendly, although I've had some of them just randomly drop the most racist statements I've ever heard on me in a cheery, matter of fact kind of voice. Usually about Mexicans. ><

Tennessee on the other hand is home of the most difficult, ignorant, obtuse callers I've ever had to deal with short of Nunavut. To the point where I have mentally labeled it Nunavut South.

No offense to those of you from Tennessee. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful people there. They're just smart enough and nice enough to not call me at 3am to yell at me thinking I'm from Kara's company. Thus making it somehow my fault they can't get their Billy Ray Cyrus ring tone working. Despite the fact I have nothing to do with cell phone companies.

The Carolina's aren't much better.

Georgians are rather pleasant though. As are Illinois and, oddly, New York. Very loud, New Yorkers, but pretty friendly.

The majority of our tech support calls come from North Carolina and Tennessee. 50,000 kiosks in North America, and those are the only two states that can't figure them out... >.>

Comment

I second the friendly Texans, and also want to recognize people from North Dakota, doncha know. They are as wholesome and warm and sweet as apple pie. Well, I don't actually know how wholesome apple pie is, but whatever.

And who could forget about Vermont! So swift, so efficient, so knowledgeable! They always ask such great questions, and always have their acts together. I <3 them so!

Comment

As someone who handles the tri-state area around Pittsburgh, let me just say that West Virginians have a way all their own.

I know, you think I'm going to say they'e all rednecks and/or inbred, but they're more like a little brother who's a little less savvy about the world and you just want to protect them. Plus they have the thickest Southern accents you'll ever hear. I drove to Orlando and went through every state that would be considered part of the South and the heaviest accents were in the WV welcome center.

It's weird, we make West Virginia jokes but don't appriciate non Western PA folks teasing them.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

When we were still SmallCable, we had a small system in Mississippi. I loved those people.

Caller: Mr. TNT, my cable is out.
                    Me: I apologize for that, sir. How long has it been out?
                    Caller: About a week, Mr. TNT.
                    Me: I wish you would have called sooner.
                    Caller: Aw, I thought it'd get fixed somehow.
                    Me: I'm really sorry. But we'll have someone out tomorrow morning.
                    Caller: Tomorrow morning!! Aw, Mr. TNT, you don't have to hurry.
                    Me: I might be able to get someone out tonight yet.

Around here, it's like, "My cable's out. I expect someone here within 20 minutes or I'll never pay another bill to the evil cable monopoly blah blah blah satellite TV blah blah blah attorney general blah blah blah."
                    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

A lot of the poorest and most isolated areas in the US are located in the south. Appalachia and the Ozarks come to mind, as well as certain parts of west Texas. It is unfortunate but the poorer and more isolated one is, the more likely they are to fit the stereotype of the ignorant inbred redneck.

When I get calls from southerners, Texans included, they tend to go one of two ways: either they fit the above stereotype, or they tend to be wonderful to deal with. Southerners, in my experience, are exceedingly polite, will not interrupt, listen patiently when you explain something, and are very grateful for your assistance. When I help older southern women they will often end the call by saying to me "You have a blessed day, Ma'am."

I am not religious myself, but I am always struck by the respect and concern that statement conveys, and I always say "And you too, Ma'am."

Southern men will often call me Ma'am in nearly every single sentence. They also never say creepy things to us, presumably because it would be, you know, rude!

I have also noticed that southerners who call in because their kid got a hold of their credit card are less likely to take it out on me. I often hear (in a nice southern drawl) something along the lines of "don't worry, I'll just go take it outta his hide" or "Well, I guess she done spent her prom dress money, now, didn't she?"

Yeah, I like talking to southerners.
                      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post

I have also noticed that southerners who call in because their kid got a hold of their credit card are less likely to take it out on me. I often hear (in a nice southern drawl) something along the lines of "don't worry, I'll just go take it outta his hide" or "Well, I guess she done spent her prom dress money, now, didn't she?"

Yeah, I like talking to southerners.
                        I love that. Seems like a bit of discipline and some good ol common sense are lacking in a lot of parents today. She done spent her prom dress money...so cute,lol.

Comment

I took a road trip to Tennessee and just about everyone I dealt with was polite. This ranged from a Waffle House (For the sake of your health don't eat there), a tiny little store in downtown Nashville, and from the tour guide at the Grand Ole Oprey. New Yorkers are nice (They'll just offer you help if you're lost in the city), and the only rude Californian I encountered was at a park in Laguna Beach where I was going downhill and a biker screamed "let loose ya nut sonofabitch!" at me.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                            Georgians are rather pleasant though. As are Illinois and, oddly, New York. Very loud, New Yorkers, but pretty friendly.
                            No we aren't! Plus we can't drive!

Comment

Nice people in texas

Why thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X