This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for Shopping in a Convenience Store

This didn't really belong under Sucky Customers, so I thought here might be the right place. If it's not, I apologize ahead of time. Anyway, in my 6+ years as a gas station cashier, I have decided that every gas station EVERYWHERE should hand out copies of this list with each purchase. I SO wish I could. And off we go, with Seeress's Rules for Shopping in a Convenience Store. (originally posted on my LiveJournal and the LJ Customers_suck community)

1. If there is a door that is very obviously marked "RESTROOM," there is no need to ask if you can use it. We aren't going to identify it as such if we care for you using it. Also, please look carefully for a door marked "RESTROOM" before asking if we have one. In the same vein, if you FOUND the door marked "RESTROOM" and it is adorned with a sign that says "OUT OF ORDER," please do not argue with/hassle the cashier about it. It's not their fault and they aren't plumbers.

2. If you expect the cashier to put your change in your hand, extend them the courtesy of putting your money in their hand, especially if the cashier is standing there with their hand very obviously out waiting for your money.

3. Don't come in with lots of rolled change and expect it to just be cashed in. We are not a bank, that's the big building up the road on the left with the big sign out front that says "First National Bank."

4. Don't come in with a lot of loose change, dump it on the counter, and expect me to count it for you. Even if you're a kid. If you're a 3rd grader or above, you should be able to count money. (What do they teach in schools nowadays?!) Actually, don't come in with a lot of loose change at all. (By a lot I mean more than a dollar or two)

5. Similar to #4, don't take all your change out of your pocket and hold out your hand and expect me to dig through it to find what I need. If you're too damn lazy to pick out a dime and a nickel, then how the hell did you even manage to get your lazy ass up off the couch to come to the bloody store in the first place?!

6. That grey box-looking thing with the flashy red laser? That's a UPC scanner. Those white boxes with the vertical black lines that are on practically EVERYTHING? Those are UPC codes. These things together mean I have to scan your merchandise. Which means you can't hold on to it and shove money at me, then look at me like I'm stupid when I reach for your item, nor can you say "I want a coke, how much is it?" and expect me to just ring it up. Yes, I can tell you how much it is, but I still have to scan it.

7. When you set your merchandise on the counter, don't set it on the extreme farthest point away from me as you can. I have to scan your items, which means I have to pick them up. It saves you and I both a lot of grief if you just set them within reach to start with. The same goes with your money if you choose to ignore rule #2. Put it where I don't have to lean across the whole counter to reach it.

8. Don't try to scan your merchandise yourself. While I am perfectly aware that a monkey could do my job, that doesn't mean that every monkey that comes along can give it a shot. This ain't Walmart's Self-Checkout, people.

8. All those white numbers on black backgrounds attached to the cigarette rack behind me? Those are prices. And yes, they are the correct price. So if you see something that says "$3.21 +Tax" beneath a row of Marlboros, guess what? That means Marlboros are $3.21 a pack, plus tax. Don't stand there and gawk at those numbers and then ask me how much they are.

9. If you're paying at the pump with a credit card, please read the proper procedure for FastPay. It's printed on the pump. Exact, step-by-step instructions in big, easy-to-read text. It even has pictures in case the words aren't enough. And if you screw it up, I cannot fix it until you hang up the pump, because the cash register, which controls the pumps, will not let me. So don't come inside the store and get snippy with me because you fucked it up.

10. If you got a nice, even amount of gas, say $10, and you come in to pay, and I am currently waiting on another customer, do not stand there and thrust your money in my face. Chances are, I will ignore you until I am finished with the current customer. That kind of behavior is just rude and uncalled for. There are things called manners. Use them.

11. When I am bagging your purchase, don't try to be helpful. This one is more of a personal thing, because I am extremely OCD and I have to do things a certain way. When you try to help, you make things very very bad.

12. If you hit a bird while you are driving, I do not care what kind of phobias you have, it's not my job to free the now-dead bird from your windshield wiper. Wait until you get home and get your mom/dad/friend/boyfriend to do it for you. I don't get paid enough to handle dead, mite-ridden animals.

13. Do not come in the store and treat me like you are above me because I have to serve you. I know it's not much of a job, but I work my ass off there putting in 40 hours a week, and I go to school full-time so I don't have to be stuck in such a dead-end job the rest of my life. Just remember turning your nose up at me when you come to me to design your dream home. You might just end up with random architectural anomalies like staircases that go nowhere and second floor doors that open onto a sheer drop to the first.

14. Customers with $100 bills, ASK before you get $5 worth of gas and want to pay with a $100. Especially those of you who are regulars and you know when our shifts change. We only start with $200 in our till, and I'm not about to give you all my 5's and 10's to make change. Who wants to walk around with nothing but 3 or 4 $100 bills anyway? It's like saying "Please, mug me."
    Last edited by seeress_83; 09-22-2007, 07:42 AM.
    *~Seeress~*
    My MySpace
    Ours is not a lost generation...we know exactly where we are. We just have no idea how fast we're going!

Quoth seeress_83 View Post
    <snip>

8. All those white numbers on black backgrounds attached to the cigarette rack behind me? Those are prices. And yes, they are the correct price. So if you see something that says "$3.21 +Tax" beneath a row of Marlboros, guess what? That means Marlboros are $3.21 a pack, plus tax. Don't stand there and gawk at those numbers and then ask me how much they are.
    Where the hell are you that Marbs are $3.21 + tax? They're nearly $5 + tax here! (So glad my husband quit!)

13. Do not come in the store and treat me like you are above me because I have to serve you. I know it's not much of a job, but I work my ass off there putting in 40 hours a week, and I go to school full-time so I don't have to be stuck in such a dead-end job the rest of my life. Just remember turning your nose up at me when you come to me to design your dream home. You might just end up with random architectural anomalies like staircases that go nowhere and second floor doors that open onto a sheer drop to the first.
    What if I want a house like that?
    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
      Where the hell are you that Marbs are $3.21 + tax? They're nearly $5 + tax here! (So glad my husband quit!)
      Alabama. We have some brands that are nearly $5+tax (Camels, Winstons, Kools) but we have a contract with Phillip Morris, and as long as those brands are at least 80 cents higher than Marlboros, PM pays us $6 per carton of Marlboros that we buy, so we can sell our Marlboros cheaper.

Then I'll be more than glad to do it anyway I think it would be fun.
      *~Seeress~*
      My MySpace
      Ours is not a lost generation...we know exactly where we are. We just have no idea how fast we're going!

Comment

Then I'll be more than glad to do it anyway I think it would be fun.
        Can I have a slide on that door instead of a sheer drop? Chutes and Ladders, anyone?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Haha...sounds like a few of the lists I write from time to time...

If people in with a garbage bag full of change, and I don't like them or they are rude about it, I'll hand them a few coin rolls and flat out tell them it's not my job to manage their finances.

Ya ever get those ones who right as soon as you tell them the total they say "What? 13.52, how is that possible? That's not right! How much is this? How much is THIS? How much is THAT? How much are these?" and it's like dude...I am not your friggin' accountant. You ever heard of a RECEIPT????? go over it your own damn self.

For those 100 dollar bill purchases, I discovered a WONDERFUL solution: Guy gives me a 100 for a 5 dollar purchase...he's getting back 95 ones. Oh, yuo don't want them? too bad. It's all I have. They'll usually only do it twice before they catch on to the fact that large bills are not welcome here! Christ...use some more common sense when you go to the freakin' bank.

Comment

Oh my gosh, you sound just like me from my gas station days.....I swore by it like a damn religion but I could never convince customers to abide by the rules.

BTW...Marlbs are still under $4 around where I live. Big rule of thumb is to never ever go to backwoods redneck towns with small populations in the middle of nowhere. That's where you'll find the packs of cigarettes for $5 or better and gas will be several cents more expensive.

You forgot to make a complete lone category of customers flopping credit cards at you and throwing money at you. That or people who are only getting gas but refuse to pay at the pump (for whatever reason), and it's extremely busy, and they throw a temper tantrum because they have to wait to pay inside.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              Big rule of thumb is to never ever go to backwoods redneck towns with small populations in the middle of nowhere. That's where you'll find the packs of cigarettes for $5 or better and gas will be several cents more expensive.
              ROFLMAO...Look up Section, AL on a map. It's about as backwoods redneck town with a small population as you can GET (Roughly 770 folks live here). That's where I'm at, and Marlboros are under $4.
              *~Seeress~*
              My MySpace

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
                For those 100 dollar bill purchases, I discovered a WONDERFUL solution: Guy gives me a 100 for a 5 dollar purchase...he's getting back 95 ones. Oh, yuo don't want them? too bad. It's all I have. They'll usually only do it twice before they catch on to the fact that large bills are not welcome here! Christ...use some more common sense when you go to the freakin' bank.
                We don't usually mind the large bills...if we have enough twenties to make the change, or even if we've got enough tens that we won't run short. I don't like it when people just want change without buying things, and when I tell them "I need to save my change for someone who's actually buying something," they leave, rather than, oh, I don't know, buying something.
                *~Seeress~*
                My MySpace

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why the guys working at my local 7-11 and Mobil are always so sweet to me, and then I read threads like this and realize it's because I use my brain AND my manners when I go out in public, even if it's just to the convenience store.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

That's really all I want from people...a little common sense and a handful of manners. They go farther than most people think.
                    *~Seeress~*
                    My MySpace

Comment

Actually, don't come in with a lot of loose change at all. (By a lot I mean more than a dollar or two)
                      I confess to often paying for my coffee at 7-11 in change, but I've done it often enough that I have the exact amount in the fewest number of coins possible in my hand before I get to the counter. My local one is happy to get small change, especially in the mornings.
                      You might just end up with random architectural anomalies like staircases that go nowhere and second floor doors that open onto a sheer drop to the first.
                      I believe the designers of that house were ghosts...
                      The Winchester Mystery House. Weirdest (I swear I did feel a ghost in one of the rooms) and coolest place ever.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        I confess to often paying for my coffee at 7-11 in change, but I've done it often enough that I have the exact amount in the fewest number of coins possible in my hand before I get to the counter. My local one is happy to get small change, especially in the mornings.
                        That, I can live with. It's people that come in with a ziploc bag full of change...usually at least fifteen dollars worth, and just want to hand it over, that kill me.

I believe the designers of that house were ghosts...

The Winchester Mystery House. Weirdest (I swear I did feel a ghost in one of the rooms) and coolest place ever.
                        I thought it was designed because of the ghosts...either way, it's on the top of my list of Places To Visit Before I Die.
                        *~Seeress~*
                        My MySpace

Comment

Well, technically we're both right...IIRC the ghosts told her what to build and how and it was built. If I could afford to live in that area I'd get a job there...
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

the ghosts told her what to build and how and it was built.
                            Well, thanks to this thread and my insatiable curiosity, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Sarah Winchester was told by a medium that she had to move west and build a home for her and all the souls of people who had been killed by Winchester guns, and that she had to maintain construction for the rest of her life, because if she stopped building, she would die.

Either way, it's bloody cool.
                            *~Seeress~*
                            My MySpace

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
                              Haha...sounds like a few of the lists I write from time to time...

If people in with a garbage bag full of change, and I don't like them or they are rude about it, I'll hand them a few coin rolls and flat out tell them it's not my job to manage their finances.

when I worked at the gas station had a guy come in and literally pay for gas with $8 in pennies. thank Gods I had another clerk who was not busy so she could count them all out. yeah the guy Lliterally (maybe) did not have any other bills or credit card but DAMN who carries around $8 in pennies in their car. I know I have maybe 20 cents laying around in my change carrier for deliveries if I need them BUT $8 come on
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X