This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my raise

This is going to be kinda a rant but I have to out with ith. I want a raise. At my last review my manager said I was doing a great job and when things are looking better he would give me a raise. Ok so skip forward our company laid off 7 people and one quit. Most people in our company are on a profit sharing thing. We only had 30 people working before the layoff. Anyway after all of this still no one has been given a raise. Now everyone working there has to make up the work of those that are no longer there. I know that the person that quit made at least $9/hr. To me that means that at least 9 people should at least get $1 raise or everyone get a 40 cent raise. This would not hurt the company because they never anticipated losing the person to begin with. Is it just me or does this seem like BS. Maybe I am just tired of working 2 jobs for the same pay and being whiney but to me it seems like this would be a good incentive to all of us that are busting ass and getting nothing more than a good job see you tomorrow.

grrrrrrrr
    I before E except after C. We live in a weird society

The time it REALLY sucks is when they bring in brand new people, and then give them MORE than what you're making NOW. I've had that happen a few times, and needless to say, I figured out the shortest route to the exit each time. It's just not worth keeping people if you're just going to pay the new people more. It's always those companies that say "never discuss your wages"..........and now we all know why.
    Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Oh how employers love to BS about raises! Never believe them unless you get it in writing! $#^&*# cheap lying scumsuckers!

My fiance's son worked at the golden arches and was his boss's 'best employee', and he kept getting told they'd give him a raise and they never did, so he quit.
      Then he worked as a dishwasher at a buffet place, and they also made him do prep cook work, and told him he'd be getting a raise for that, and the raise never came. He did get free tickets to a few football games, though. He quit there, too, cuz they kept making him work overtime, without paying the extra.
      It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

I could write a book sized rant over pay. Just to say, just the divisoin I work in of our company posted a 1.18 Billion (Billion with a B) profit last QUARTER, and raises were basically 2% across the board.

Somewhere in that $1,180,000,000.00 there would have to be a couple bucks they could throw our way.

"Profit from consumer banking rose 21 percent to $1.18 billion. . ."

Comment

Quoth ShockQueen View Post
          The time it REALLY sucks is when they bring in brand new people, and then give them MORE than what you're making NOW. I've had that happen a few times, and needless to say, I figured out the shortest route to the exit each time. It's just not worth keeping people if you're just going to pay the new people more. It's always those companies that say "never discuss your wages"..........and now we all know why.

Don't even get me started on that bullshit ! My company pulls the same exact crap. I've been at Freds for nearly two years now and the number of new people that they bring in at higher wages seriously makes me want to go postal.

I've been told how good I am, how dependable, blah de blah...but yet, when I asked for a raise a month or so again, they couldn't hem and haw fast enough to excuse why they "can't do that".

You can't ? Uh..didn't you just give Melissa a dollar raise after she went to you and asked for one ? "Can't do that " ???

Fuckers.

I can't WAIT till my last day. I swear. Fred Meyers is gonna get some serious words from me. And everybody who knows me well at all KNOWS I will verbally trash these people.

Comment

Aren't your evaluation and raise times set? Ours are- twice a year, without fail we get an evaluation and a raise in accordance with how well our eval is.
            We (all employees) also get a quarterly bonus based on our store's overall revenue. (In other words- it really DOES pay to upsell.)

I'd also like to say that what your co- workers make is none of your business.
            The only person/people who should know what is made is HR and possibly the SM. I have always considered it amazingly rude when people ask me how much I make and I certainly would never consider asking my co- workers how much they make.

The only answer I give to that question is a scowl and a simple, "Enough."
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

I've discussed wages with my coworkers before, but only with the couple of people I consider my dearest friends at the place. Anything we say to each other stays with us.

"Cindy", however, is constantly bitching about "our" lack of raises and how "it's ridiculous, we should *all* sign a letter asking why we haven't gotten them yet?!?"

I always have to bite my tongue, because my initial answer is always "Bitch, write your OWN letter because the rest of us DID get our raises-they're based on merit, you lazy slug!"

But of course I keep it to myself. What can you do?
              "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

@JuniorMintz
                You should just say "I'm happy with what I'm getting paid. If you don't like it, find a different job."

I'm not saying management should use this line. It's a crappy line to use. However, if your job is giving out raises and you got a few still complaining. Those fews should be given that line.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Never ever ever discuss pay with coworkers. All it does is create bad feelings.

I do agree, however, that it is sucktacular that new people get hired at a higher rate than people who have been there a while. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                    Aren't your evaluation and raise times set? Ours are- twice a year, without fail we get an evaluation and a raise in accordance with how well our eval is.
                    We (all employees) also get a quarterly bonus based on our store's overall revenue. (In other words- it really DOES pay to upsell.)

I'd also like to say that what your co- workers make is none of your business.
                    The only person/people who should know what is made is HR and possibly the SM. I have always considered it amazingly rude when people ask me how much I make and I certainly would never consider asking my co- workers how much they make.

The only answer I give to that question is a scowl and a simple, "Enough."

I beg to differ. It IS your business if you've been there a lot longer and make less then the new hires. In my opinion this is shady and devious.

A co-worker of mine in the deli went to management and got approved for a 1.00 raise because she told him she'd been there two years and the new hires were getting more. When I tried the same thing all I got was "we don't do merit raises anymore".

Yet, I've always come in on days off, rarely call in etc etc. All I'm asking for here is fair treatment.

Our store gives raises automatically after a certain number of hours worked, and those raises depend upon which department you work in and the pay scale. My raises are nickels and I get these after roughly 800 hours worked. I'm not supposed to complain about this, or get another job ???

To me, this statement is tantamount to when SCs say "If you don't like it, get another job"
                    Last edited by KayEm; 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM.

Comment

To me it's the same as asking how much money is in your bank account? Or what's the limit on your credit card? You probably wouldn't be too keen on answering those questions to anyone. Personal finance is called thus because it's personal.

What I'm wondering is how do you know how much they are making?
                      Are you asking every new hire to tell you how much they make? Do you see their pay stubs? Do you know for a fact that the other woman got a raise or could she just be talking through her teeth?

And really... if your job sucks so bad, is so stressful and the pay is so terrible why aren't you looking for another job?
                      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                      HellGate: London

Comment

Quite a few companies do not want their employees discussing pay/raise issues. All it does is stir up resentment and make the workplace hostile. Some will even fire you for it.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          Quite a few companies do not want their employees discussing pay/raise issues. All it does is stir up resentment and make the workplace hostile. Some will even fire you for it.
                          Let's please not pass the buck on what creates hostility and resentment. This is solely the companies fault. If they paid people fairly they wouldn't NEED to worry about who talks to who about how much people make and employees wouldn't be hostile in the first place.

Besides, there's such a thing as the company grapevine. People aren't supposed to talk about pay, but everyone knows.

Comment

Quoth KayEm View Post
                            Let's please not pass the buck on what creates hostility and resentment. This is solely the companies fault. If they paid people fairly they wouldn't NEED to worry about who talks to who about how much people make and employees wouldn't be hostile in the first place.
                            It wouldn't matter how much people were paid. They'd still find a way to complain about it.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think it's important to ask what others are getting paid - or at least what they started at to make sure you're getting a fair deal. I only found out after I had been working for some time at one job that I was getting paid less than everyone else. This was NOT fair and NOT b/c of merit - I worked harder than all of those people put together (I am NOT exaggerating by any means - I truly cared about my job and I think I was the only one who was not there just for a paycheck - and I was getting paid less!) I also found out that everyone else got a raise when I did not - if I had never asked, I would have never found out how much the company was screwing me over personally - all b/c a district manager wouldn't help me and so I went to Human Resources from Corporate and asked for their help - guess maybe somehow that got back to her and she was bitter about it... anyway, I'm not asking you how much you have in your bank account or even how much you made that week or what your c.c. limit is - I'm just asking what is your starting rate of pay? Or since you have been working here, what has your wage gone up? That's important - if people work somewhere for 5 years and never get a raise - you want to leave that place a.s.a.p!!! And if someone doesn't want to share - they simply have to say that they don't feel comfortable discussing it - end of story. Other than that - you can find out some important information by simply asking.... I suppose some people could lie - but what's the point? It's not like you're asking them as someone hiring them and they want a higher rate of pay from you - you just want to know if you're getting paid fairly. Anyway - that's my opinion

Oh and NEVER believe anything they tell you unless it's in writing!!

Comment

Working...
                              X