This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Express lane blues

If this is wrong section, many apologies!

I work in a grocery store (WinnDixie for those that know it) and we recently had two ten items or less lanes "installed". (they made huge signs over two normal registers.) And then told us we couldn't turn people away, no matter how many items they had.

OH.My.God.
    I told my managers NEVER to put me on them, because I couldn't handle the stupidity. Didn't work

I took two two-hundred+ dollar orders right back to back. Neither of them noticed the sign. The second lady went "Oh" when the guy behind her said something, and continued anyways.

Woman asked me if I was open, I said yes, ten item or less, and she came through with 129 items.

I don't get it. Why don't people follow simple rules? The self checkouts are bad enough, this just... bah.

Outright defiance against an item count that makes things so much simpler for other people. I am a VERY fast cashier, hence why I am put on express friggin constantly now. Scan time is pretty good, but transaction and money count is insane.

Had a man make me laugh.
    "When did these get installed?"
    Me: "about a month ago."
    Him: "Really? I didn't notice. Do people pay attention to them?"
    Me: "Not really. We're not allowed to turn them away either." (He is one of my regulars, so it was "okay" to tell him, lol)
    Him: "What?! That is so stupid. I couldn't be a cashier. I'd have beat someone for being so dumb."
    Me: *laughing* "Yah, I felt that way with the woman with two buggies and three screaming children."
    Himtaking change) "Definatly not then. Have a good night."
    --

I love that man ^^
    Xposted to Customerssuck.com and customerssuck LJ community.
    No, I do not work here, yes I am open, No, it is not free, every item we had "in the back" has been eaten by drunken sailors. Now that we've covered the basics, how may I help you?

I've had to deal with idiocy like that. The express lanes are less than 1/2 size of a normal lane. So when a full cart comes through, it'll take forever to do a large order. Of course, we can't turn anyone away. And then we get yelled at by the customers behind them who do follow the rules.

The only time I ever yelled at an old woman was in this exact situation. She had three items when the person in front of her had waaay more than the limit. I had to get it through to her that I couldn't turn anyone away, and she'd have to talk to management about changing that rule. I do regret it though.

Oh, and before I go, there's also the matter of the shmucks who take a 30-item order and split it up to "beat the system." In reality, it's just making things longer and more complicated.
    Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

Quoth cpux View Post

Oh, and before I go, there's also the matter of the shmucks who take a 30-item order and split it up to "beat the system." In reality, it's just making things longer and more complicated.
      Well if they do that they should have to go back and wait in line twice to do it. Otherwise it really makes no sense

Comment

I motion that the managers who installed the express lanes, and then told cashiers they couldn't turn anybody away for having too many items, be forced to work on those lanes until it dawns on them how stupid that is.

Who's with me?
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've said it before, but a 10 cent "convenience fee" per item over the express lane limit is the way to go. Fatten up the bottom line something wonderful.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            I motion that the managers who installed the express lanes, and then told cashiers they couldn't turn anybody away for having too many items, be forced to work on those lanes until it dawns on them how stupid that is.

Who's with me?
            I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a STUPID thing to do!!!!! One or the other, people!!!!!!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Who's with me?
              Wonderful idea here! They also get to listen to the people who actually follow the rules who are POed about being penalized for doing so by not getting the express lane they went to and were qualified to use.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Add another vote

I also promise to complain to the MANAGER if I see this happening or am unlucky enough to get stuck behind one of these customers. Ill check with the cashier that they cant turn people away then leave them the heck alone to get on with my order.
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  I've said it before, but a 10 cent "convenience fee" per item over the express lane limit is the way to go. Fatten up the bottom line something wonderful.

Actually, that's a fantastic idea. If I were really in a hurry and had more than the number of items for express lane, I'd happily pay it just to get the hell out of there. If I were behind someone in line who was over the limit, I'd at least know they were being penalized for not following the rules. Plus, more money for the store! Everyone wins!
                  "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Who's with me?
                    Sounds good to me.

We had this one cashier who would not hesitate to turn people away from her register if she was on express, and they had too many items.

I don't know if we were really allowed to do that or not, but she had been there awhile, and she was one of the few daytime people we had. Daytime people were very hard to keep, so she could probably get away with a little bit more than the nighttime people could.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                      I think it should be called an "inconvenience" fee, and it should be anywhere from $5 to $20 per item over the limit.

Comment

Re: idea for 10 cent per item over limit fee

Quoth Erin View Post
                        I think it should be called an "inconvenience" fee, and it should be anywhere from $5 to $20 per item over the limit.
                        No, ten cents is good. Charging anything over a quarter means that you hold the lines up while customers argue with you over the legalities of the thing. Charging 10 cents per item means that first off, they're likely to not notice, and if they do, they're not likely to argue too much. But you get the satisfaction of knowing they paid more than they should have, and have no legal arguement against it.

Comment

I don't know. If it's very explicitly stated as policy, probably with signs at the counters that a blind person could see stating it, then there's really no question of legality. I mean, if you come into a store that charges $10 for a pack of gum, and you pay it even though there's a store across the street that has it for a quarter, how was it illegal?
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                            I don't know. If it's very explicitly stated as policy, probably with signs at the counters that a blind person could see stating it, then there's really no question of legality. I mean, if you come into a store that charges $10 for a pack of gum, and you pay it even though there's a store across the street that has it for a quarter, how was it illegal?
                            Agreed. And as long as their are signs that state this, I'd say everyone's ass is covered. Although we all know about sucky customers and signs, right?
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              We had this one cashier who would not hesitate to turn people away from her register if she was on express, and they had too many items.

I don't know if we were really allowed to do that or not, but she had been there awhile, and she was one of the few daytime people we had. Daytime people were very hard to keep, so she could probably get away with a little bit more than the nighttime people could.
                              At our store, we're told not that it's a judgement call, so I use my judgement. . . if it's not busy, or 2 express lanes are open and not lined up, I'll let them through. When it's busy, if I don't notice until they have the whole order on the belt, I say: Just to let you know for next time, this is an express lane for 15 items or less.
                              I have a little fun, too - if they ask if they can bring a big order through, I'll say: Sure, but I'll have to charge you double - my till, my rules!
                              It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

Working...
                              X