This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Entitled One at Wal*Mart

I've been holding this one back due to the boards being down.

Last Friday (you know, the 4th of July WEEKEND Friday), I had to stop at my local Wally World for a few things. It was beyond packed. Every single register was open and the lines had at least 10 people per line.

Enter the Entitled Woman. I was at the end of one of the express lines waiting my turn. She came in with her two kids hanging off the end of her cart, eating pretzels from a bag she was buying (I hate when people do this). She switched lines about 4 times before she decided my line was moving quickest.

She proceeded to whine about how looong the wait was, and how her time was valuable, and that she had kids and shouldn't be made to wait... and why didn't Wal*Mart hire more cashiers? This was ridiculous... blah blah blah
    My 4 year old and I were just smiling and not saying anything. And my 4 year old was doing a better job of waiting in line than this lady was.
    But it gets better.

There were two express registers running side by side. Each of them had their own separate line. Well, when she got close enough, she decided to cut in to the front of the line on the register next to us because she had kids and was tired of waiting. The people in line behind her actually let her go - I think it might have been so they didn't have to hear her whine anymore.

While she was getting rung up, apparently she picked up a picture from a clearance aisle that was supposed to be only $5.00 but the register rang it up as $10.00. You would have thought the cashier killed Christ. Because it was the cashier's fault that she had to wait in line so long, and it was also her fault the picture rang up at the wrong price, and now she had to wait even longer in line, and Wal*Mart does this stuff on purpose, and now she should get the picture for free for all her trouble and how dare Wal*mart hire such lazy employees. Well, cashier took it really well, and ended up calling a manager over to resolve the problem and started helping the people behind the Entitled One.

As I walked off with my daughter listening to her kvetch at the manager, I said, "See, Valerie? That's how not to act in a store. Ever." The woman heard me and was but I did get a grin from the manager as I walked away.

Seriously, who goes shopping on a holiday weekend at Wal*Mart and doesn't expect a line/wait? In fact, who goes shopping anywhere on a holiday weekend and doesn't expect a wait?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

LOL! I hate people like the EW. What is funny to me is that she chose to shop on a holiday weekend (the word Duh comes to mind) then got snarky because other people were in the store. Does she think Wal*Mart is Harrods and she is the Queen of England or Oprah and is "guaranteed" a personal shopping day?

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz
      As I walked off with my daughter listening to her kvetch at the manager, I said, "See, Valerie? That's how not to act in a store. Ever." The woman heard me and was but I did get a grin from the manager as I walked away.
      YES!!!! That's great!

I wonder if he's any relation to the Mr. Entitlement who was in my former retail hell one day that I was in there. I was chatting with one of my former co-workers when this guy came right up & interrupted, asking where something is. He left to show him. I then saw the guy heading towards one of the registers & my former co-worker back towards me. I loudly remarked 'gotta love those jerks who just come right up to you while you're talking & interrupt, huh?' I'm not sure if the guy heard me, but I am hoping that he did.
      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

God forbid. . .

she ever comes in my store when it's busy and she would have wait for awhile. We only have two registers no express nor self-checkout and the only customer service desk available is at the registers. Ussually there is always someone who takes their time to pay or have a huge order. There is always some item that doesn't come up at the right price (well, the price the customer it thinks it should be). Actually there is about at least thousand or so stores set the way (maybe more).
        Last edited by rdp78; 07-12-2006, 01:36 AM.
        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
        My space
        Facebook

Comment

Funny thing is, with all lanes open, her complaint boils down to "there are too many customers in the store." What could be done about that? Well, you can *leave*, that would make it a bit less crowded... or they could have declared the store too full and turned you away completely, would that have been better? Oh, wait, you mean all those *other* people, the ones not yourself, Ima Payne-Diaz, should be kicked out!
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Oh, I was sooo glad I didn't have to work on the 4th. The 3rd was hellish enough. Why does holiday=shopping to Americans, anyway? (I don't know about elsewhere.) I can understand picking up food, and I can understand Christmas gifts, but I don't get the any holiday=packed store crap.

Comment

Same thing in Germany; holidays are for shopping. Especially bad around here, since I live in a state with more holidays than our neighboring state - consequence? Any time we have a holiday they don't, the shopping centre just over the state line is packed.

As an aside: does anyone else go into a shopping mall during Christmas rush - with all shopping already done - just to sit down, have a coffee, and look at rows of stressed-out people? Or am I just weird like that?
              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth DistantStar
                I can understand picking up food, and I can understand Christmas gifts, but I don't get the any holiday=packed store crap.

But... but.... but.....

What about the saaaaaales? They always have huge holiday saaaaales... don't they?
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz
                  But... but.... but.....

What about the saaaaaales? They always have huge holiday saaaaales... don't they?
                  Ah yes, holiday sales. Corporate's means of bilking more money out of the customer. Our managers even say this. "If they come in for the sale item, something not on sale will catch their eye and they'll buy it."

So they put all the sale stuff in the front of the store. Brilliant plan there.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz
                    Seriously, who goes shopping on a holiday weekend at Wal*Mart and doesn't expect a line/wait? In fact, who goes shopping anywhere on a holiday weekend and doesn't expect a wait?
                    A few years back I had to go into Wally World on Christmas Eve (I was working a lot of overtime, and had forgotten a key ingredient to something I was making) and needless to say the lines were epic in proportions even though they did seem to have "all hands on deck". Since I knew that I'd have to wait in line, and I was feeling all "Christmas-y", I just stood there patiently humming along with the carols playing over the PA - until Psycho Entitlement Wench(tm) stepped up behind me. For no less than 10 minutes (or more - I lost track of time), I had to listen while she very loudly moaned about how long the lines were, why didn't they open more registers (and there couldn't have been but one or two that weren't open), it was ridiculous to have to wait, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Since she was starting to successfully Grinchify my Christmas Spirit, and I was having none of that on Christmas Eve, I turned around and told her (near as I can remember):

"Look, lady, you came into Wal-Mart on Christmas Eve. For the love of God, there is not a time you can shop here that you won't have to wait in line, especially now since it's the only store in town still open tonight. Now, if you don't mind, shut your freaking mouth so the rest of us can enjoy what's left of our Christmas. And you have a Merry Christmas."

It was surreal because I normally don't actually say anything to people like that, and because as I was talking (well, more like yelling), the entire front end became deathly quiet. When I had finished and whirled back around, the front of the store erupted in applause, the friend Ms PEW had with her was laughing hysterically, and I felt just a smidge better. Needless to say, she dropped her purchases and left very sheepishly.

It makes me smile just thinking about it...
                    Last edited by phillippbo; 07-18-2006, 09:45 PM.
                    ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                    - Cartman

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT
                      Funny thing is, with all lanes open, her complaint boils down to "there are too many customers in the store."
                      She'd probably love it in Akihabara (Tokyo), where the stores only let a certain number of people in at any one time.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Canarr
                        As an aside: does anyone else go into a shopping mall during Christmas rush - with all shopping already done - just to sit down, have a coffee, and look at rows of stressed-out people? Or am I just weird like that?
                        Yes, except for the fact that I hate coffee, unless it's in one of those Starbucks frozen Cappucino bottles that they used to vend from our fridge at Chesterfield...
                        But I do enjoy watching people panic that they won't get that "Last Malibu Barb- It's mine!"
                        Of course, once I'm truly out on my own, I'm celebrating Christmas in the summer months. Mmm, Startica!
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I'd like to comment on the name Valerie. It's an awesome name. There aren't enough Valerie's in the world... Okay I am being a geek cuz it's my name too.

Now had I been in line I would have told that woman to wait her damn turn. I am a big stickler on lines.

I absolutely HATE it when people are like: "They need more cashiers."

DUH! Here, let me pull a cashier OUT OF MY A$$ have their till be automatically counted, the register will open and yes you will be the first person in it even though your a$$ is the last in line.

Comment

I hate that whine too. I hate it even more when an Entitlement Customer points their fat finger at me and says, "Why don't you open more tills?" Look, if I had a magic wand to make more cashiers appear, I would, believe you me. In fact, I'd wave it once and make YOU disappear, making my life even easier. You choose to come on here on Christmas Eve, so suck it up. At least I'm getting paid to be here.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I hate it even more when people complain about the lines when every single register in the store is open! What do you want me to do? Pull a whole register out of my ass???
                              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                              X