X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom's a SC.

My mom...

One day we had to go to Verizon because I had to get a new phone since mine broke. My mom was rude to the employees from the getgo. We first had to go to the store in the mall, but for some reason they couldn't get into our account because it was set as a government account, which is restricted and needs special access. My mom snapped at the worker and jerked both of us away to go to the Verizon office accross the street because she wanted to chew them out for not being able to get into her account. She called him an idiot when we he was still in earshot. She bitched to me about how he was acting like it was all her own fault. I wanted to tell her that he wanted her to get away because she was being rude and nasty. But my mom's big and scary and it's usually wise not to tell her she's wrong.

So we went to the Verizon office and we stood in line. My mom and this other lady griped to each other about the terrible service they got there now. Admittedly, the wait was long, but seeing as there were three of the four computers taken, I actually figured it was because the other customers were trying to be helped and cellphone bureacracy is complex as heck these days.

Eventually we get to a person who came to the fourth computer. She was about my age. Meaning she was young enough to be assumed an idiot by my mom. The girl was doing the best she could, and even she said that for some reason our account was restricted. My mom got upset and started growling at the poor worker, demanding to know why she did this and over all being a pain in the ass. The girl actually managed to get it off restricted status, which from the looks of it didn't appear to be an easy task. I thought she was very helpful. She got me a new and better phone, charged it for -free- for me, transferred all of my old numbers over to it and even explained to me how my phone broke (water damage.) When she said there was a $15 fee my mom snarled at her and said it was a rip off. Yea, it was a rip off, but the worker didn't make the rules, she's just there to help people. I wanted to tell my mom that too, but she wouldn't have listened anyway. I got my new phone through an awesome deal that saved me about 30 bucks thanks to the worker. Real serious kudos to her. I wanted to go back and apologize to her for my mom being such a prick, but my mom would've created a scene and lectured me later on about how she's just a stupid worker (I've gotten plenty of those lectures, too. I wonder if this means I'm stupid as well..)

When we walked out the door my mom grumbled and said she was willing to bet that the girl screwed up her account just as we left.

My mom treats employees like crap. She leaves her trash everywhere and tells me that workers get paid to clean it up. When I was younger I would try to organize dishes and clean the table up a little at restaurants but my mom always told me to leave it because she told me that workers get paid to clean up after us.

I admit to being guilty of doing that, but now I've stopped doing that after working a few jobs.

Sorry to hear that. It's good that you're taking steps to be a better customer. Usually, any job in retail or serving the public will break a person of their bad customer habits.

What sort of work does your mom do?

Love your screen name, by the way.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I feel your pain, my mum is the same way despite raging over some of the stories ive told her.... not in my backyard syndrome

yet she still expects waiters/waitresses to be at her beck and call and how dare they actually have other tables to help

she complains loudly in lines then takes her sweet time when its her turn

yells and fusses if she cant get her way because of policy (well I can understand that one, when you know you can get results by being sucky, it causes more people to be sucky)

she will also eat most of her dinner at a resturant and then demand a manager to get her meal comped and try and insist that mine gets done as well (dont worry I refuse quite loudly the times shes done that)
      calls retail workers lazy and stupid and nohopers and when I point out that Im one I get "oh but your different, you went to university" ARGH I want to scream

I have asked her repeatedly to correct her behaviour but she wont and then wonders why I will not go out with her!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
        What sort of work does your mom do?

Love your screen name, by the way.

She's a teacher in the state of Ohio, where teachers are essentially treated like crap. You'd think she'd learn, but instead she pretty much thinks everyone's an idiot and, just like so many others, zones in on retail employees.

Thanks!

Comment

First of all welcome

Okay then I feel your pain Killerkittens. My mom is an SC too. Oh the stories I could tell. "Shudders".

We can't change the way people behave. The best thing we can do is to break the cycle of SCness and not become one ourselves. I'm doing that and are trying to teach my kids also. It won't be easy though. Husband is not an SC all the time but when he is,it's awful.
          Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

My mom's usually great with people in stores, except when people are being incompetent... then she'll rip the SE a new one. She DOES know the difference between 'new' and 'sucky' though.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

[QUOTE=Kiwi;20447]
              calls retail workers lazy and stupid and nohopers and when I point out that Im one I get "oh but your different, you went to university" ARGH I want to scream
              [QUOTE]

Tell your mom for me, please, that I work retail, and I didn't go to college, because I didn't see the point in paying thousands of dollars just to end up where I am, anyway.

Well, that and I was/am too poor to go.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Tell your mom for me, please, that I work retail, and I didn't go to college, because I didn't see the point in paying thousands of dollars just to end up where I am, anyway.
                you know the saddest part, she hasnt ever been to university either!

AND she worked retail for a good 10 years and THEN work/owned her own salon for another 5 ..... shes no stranger to the retail label!!

I love my mum very much, but she is frustrating in this area to the end, pig headed and refuses to see logic.

and believe me, university is no guarantee I paid off most of my loan whilst going to uni (full time over the summer and 10-20 hours a week during the semester just to survive) and Im working at a level entry posistion when you only need highschool graduation.... with a nice fat debt calling my name.
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

killerkittens, why not force your mom to have a look at this site?

Comment

Working...
                  X