This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scolded for saying Happy Holidays

I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!" I bit my tongue, because I almost wanted to tell him I was Jewish (I'm not). How did he know I was Christian? Just because I'm a white American I must automatically be a Christian, I guess!

I'm just not going to say anything other than "Have a nice day." I'm not even going to acknowledge that it's the holiday season because you just cannot please people no matter what you do or say. This is why I can't stand working retail! Why the hell does it matter what you say to them as long as it's pleasant and you're doing your job correctly? Don't customers understand that we're stressed and flustered this time of year? Of course not, they have to hassle us about whether we're saying "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas," like we know them personally and really care whether they have a Happy Hanukkah/Christmas/Kwanzaa or whatever!
    Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 12-21-2007, 01:43 AM.
    My Myspace, add me!

I'm tempted more and more to respond to holiday sentiments with "Bah, humbug!"
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Totally. Working retail during the holidays just puts a huge damper on my Christmas. I know I shouldn't let it, but it does. Working at Kmart has broken my retail spirit. I really hope this is the last holiday season I have to work in retail. I'd much rather do waitressing or anything else.
      My Myspace, add me!

Comment

You forgot Festivus!

I'm reporting you to your manager!

Just kidding!
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
          I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!"
          "True, Ma'am, but I had no idea which set of holidays you celbrated." After all, her actions and attitude didn't say "christian".

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
            I got scolded by 2 customers yesterday for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Some old guy even said "You should say 'Merry Christmas,' you're a CHRISTIAN!" I bit my tongue, because I almost wanted to tell him I was Jewish (I'm not). How did he know I was Christian? Just because I'm a white American I must automatically be a Christian, I guess!
            I would of told him that my relation with my savior was none of his damned business and his relation with his savior was none of mine and that is why I don't imply what your's is...
            no, I don't think I could survive in retail... thank God for call centers.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Thing like that are one of the many reasons I'm glad I don't deal with the public face to face. I love the call center.

I just wish everyone I talk to a nice night and only give a seasonal greeting if they say it first.
              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

That's why I just leave it at "Have a good day," or something similarly generic. I've had a handful of customers say "Merry Christmas," which surprised me for a few seconds afterward. If they say something different like a holiday wish or "God Bless," I just graciously thank them and say it back to them.

I'm not real conversational with customers unless they are regulars I like, or seem interested in chatting. Otherwise, I do what I have to do, and let them go on their way. There have been instances in which someone complained that I was snubbing them or being unfriendly because I'm not so talkative unless someone seems interested in conversation, but most customers seem fine with it. I figure that as long as I'm not being rude or unprofessional, I'm not going to worry about what anyone thinks.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Piss em off by telling em "you really fall for that story?? Goddamn I'm happy to be athiest."
                  Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Mmph. I still say "Merry Christmas" just because it's what I grew up with. It's habitual. I personally am not Christian (prefer "Agnostic"), but Christmas is more an event than a religious celebration these days.... Still, I'd probably say "Happy Holidays" if I remembered/cared.
                    You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Comment

I still wish people a Merry Christmas. My (Jewish) friend from high school and I had an agreement where we wished each other a happy respective holiday, but with other people, you never know. So I still wish them what I've been raised.

I'm tired, so probably not making too much sense now. Bottom line, I say Merry Christmas, if any seasonal greeting at all, and haven't pissed anyone off that way yet.

Yet.

Comment

Political Corectness!

There is a song my store plays (our Muzak doesn't give the artist just song title)
                        It has a female lead singer and is called "We Wish You A Happy ___"
                        " We wish you a merry christmass
                        We wish you a merry christmass
                        We wish you a merry christmass...
                        Unless you are Jewish!
                        Then we...
                        Wish you a happy Hanukkah
                        We wish you a happy Hanukkah
                        We wish you a happy Hanukkah
                        Unless you are Muslum!
                        Then we wish you a happy Ramadan..."

Repeat for Kwanzaa and Wiccan.
                        (last verse)
                        ...Unless you are Athiest!
                        Then we
                        Wish you a happy (silence)
                        We wish you a happy (silence)
                        and a happy new year!!

I always like to be a wise ass if I can. Whenever anyone sneezes instead of "Bless You" I started saying: "May whatever Spirits, Deity, Figurehead, God, Goddess, or Patheon you worship Bless You"
                        Last edited by Lady Heather; 12-24-2007, 06:24 AM. Reason: forgot athiest
                        Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                        The following is subject to change:
                        If Your Going Through Hell,
                        Keep Going...

Comment

I always have said Merry Christmas.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

This time of year, I always say "Have a nice day", just because it's the first and only thing that springs to mind.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm still saying "Have a nice day" too. Its just so ingrained now. Changing my standard farewell just throws a kink into my whole routine. I don't like switching horses mid-race.

If a customer responds by saying, "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", I respond in kind.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X