This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination...

This is something that has bugged me for years. YEARS. To the point that today, the ex manager came in asking for me to do a video for him; and I had to refuse. I sent him to my competitor, but I doubt they'll help him either, not after what happened. (This isn't in Morons In Management for a reason.)

Roughly three years ago, I was hired to work for a place called the "****" foundation. In essence, I was a security guard/ drill seargent for a youth offender home. I worked midnight to eight five days a week, with random days off.

You know, when I first started there, things were great. The boys respected me a great deal, and respected my decisions and disciplinary actions. Over time, things began to change. I couldn't help but notice the fact that I and one other gentlemen, were the only caucasian workers there. Furthermore, of the eighteen boys incarcerated there, only two were caucasian. This struck me as odd, and I often talked with the other gentleman about it.

Things started getting worse over time. The boys began to act out, and I found out over time that the people who "owned" the foundation were letting these boys get out of my discipline. Why? Well, in some cases they claimed I had only put the punishment because I am white, and they weren't. Though, it never seemed to come up that I rode Zack (one of the boys) just as hard, if not harder than the others. And he, was white.

In the end, I got to a point where I barely cared. I came to work, sat in the dark at the long end of a hallway and fought to stay awake. I didn't care anymore and it showed. One of the boys, a young man who is now a US marine, even asked me. "Sarge" (a few of them called me that) "Why do they ride you so hard? You're the fairest we gots?" I wish that I could have explained it to him. I suspected the reason, but couldn't prove it.

While I was there, we had a suicide attempt. Now this is never funny, and yet somehow this ended up making everyone chuckle. This boy hit upon the bright idea to hang himself. But, since he was too short to reach anything of height, he opted to hold onto the belt himself. Meaning that he'd pull it tight enough to pass out, then his grip would slip, belt would loosen, and he'd wake back up. When that didn't work, he tried to cut himself with a plastic ruler and failed, only to end up in protective custody at the hospital. It turned out, the ****s had been with holding the boy's Lithium, because quote "They wanted to get the demons out of the boy." Yes. I know that's crazy sounding, but that's the gist of it. This boy, he was (reason for past tense, but it didn't happen on my watch) a mormon. The ****s, however, would force him to go to a baptist church; and punish him if he refused. He finally found a way out.

About six months into my employment, I head into work to find this beat up old truck there. There's also another car which I recognize. Heading in, I find this other gentleman (whose name eludes me) and lady talking. They look up at me with pure shock and he says quote. "I thought you weren't supposed to be here." Oh really? The woman gave him a look, he hushed up and she added. "Mister **** wants you to call him in the morning when your shift is over." The night went slowly, the other guy refusing to talk to me, or even really acknowledge my presence.

When I went home, I didn't call right away. I was dead tired, but I knew why he wanted me to call. Around 1 that evening, I called, only to be told over the phone that I was fired. Oh joy. To make matters worse, I wasn't allowed on the property to collect my final check.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days after this incident, I contacted the DOL about this. In the claim, I stated how I had been terminated, and when asked why; I told them how I (and the other caucasian worker) had both been fired. Yet, in our place, two black men had been hired. Candidly, I told the DOL investigator that I felt the reason I was fired, was they wanted the foundation to originally be AA (African American) only, and I, was not AA.

DOL Investigated it, confirmed much of what I said, but dropped this blockbuster on me.

Due to Georgia's laws at the time (this has since changed) it was perfectly legal to terminate a caucasian male (note, not female) and hire an AA male in his place. By state law, that was not considered discrimination. However, do it in reverse, and it's grounds for lawsuit. Further, while I did have a valid claim for unemployment, sadly by Ga. Law, not for profit places were not required to pay such.

So, what happened? It's been some time since then.

Here's what I know from acquaintences.

1.) The foundation was closed after for a time after Zack escaped. It turned out that he was supposed to be on medications and taking anger management courses, but the ****s were not issuingthem. Furthermore, Zack's stipend from the state had vanished, and he was experiencing...well, I guess the word is resistance, from the ****s. Without a judge's permission, they had opted to keep him two months longer than he was sentenced to.

2.) The state descended on the place after the DOL passed on my report. They found the foundation to be lacking in enough places to cause the funding to be cut in half. Further more, they found the ****s in the place at the time, which according to the contract they told the state, they would have no direct contact with the place.

Thanks for letting me vent. Still, let me add a final thought here:

We hear talk about discrimination, and so called reverse discrimination. Well, let me tell you. I've been the victim of it, and there didn't seem to be anything reverse about it. I was fired for my skin color. I don't care WHO you are, or what you think. That's something that needs put an end to. Sadly, in many cases, the states don't care. In many states, mine included, there IS no reverse discrimination. And, since it doesn't exist, none of this ever happened. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by MadMike; 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM. Reason: Removed names of company and managers -- liability reasons
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Well Duh!

Everybody knows only minorities can be victims of discrimination!

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

yes...it's sad but true...I don't know if there will ever be a time when you can say whatever you want and NOT get told your racist, or disciminating....but we can only hope
      I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Had a case of that here recently. A white campus police officer for ODU was fired because he was white. This was proven in court but ODU refuses to reinstate him. Discrimination in any form is WRONG.

http://www.virginialaborlaw.com/Pres...08-15-2006.htm
        USN Retired

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          While I was there, we had a suicide attempt. Now this is never funny, and yet somehow this ended up making everyone chuckle. This boy hit upon the bright idea to hang himself. But, since he was too short to reach anything of height, he opted to hold onto the belt himself. Meaning that he'd pull it tight enough to pass out, then his grip would slip, belt would loosen, and he'd wake back up.
          Sounds like Sylvia Plath in "The Bell Jar".

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences there.

Those poor boys, too. No one deserves to have their meds and treatments held from them. Or to be held for longer than ordered.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

While I've never been "laid off" due to my skin color, I have been passed over for hiring. I even had to train the other person to do the job that I was too pale to be hired for in the first place.
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Discrimination is still discrimination doesn't matter if it's reverse or what. Anyway I since the foundation was funded partially by the state they violated Zach's first amendment right by making him go to a church service that he didn't want to go and if they completely privately funded they had the right but since they got public funds they had no right. Also punishing him by refusing to give him his meds when he didn't is just completely moronic and it's no wonder he tried to commit sucide.
              Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
              My space
              Facebook

Comment

I too, have been passed over, just because of my race. When I was not working, I applied to differant places. Well I got called from a few warehouse jobs- all 3 said that I was what they were looking for. BUTTTTTTTTTTT, just because I can't speak spanish, they were not able to hire me .
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  I too, have been passed over, just because of my race. When I was not working, I applied to differant places. Well I got called from a few warehouse jobs- all 3 said that I was what they were looking for. BUTTTTTTTTTTT, just because I can't speak spanish, they were not able to hire me .

in a way, im not sure that is such discrimmination like the OP had. if a job has you dealing with mainly spanish speaking clients, and you do not speak spanish, then it wouldn't make sense to hire you. why hire somebody who can't communicate with the customers? but as im writing this, i also reread that you said WAREHOUSE job. the only thing i can think of is most of their employees are speaking spanish only, but they would have to be illegal if they can't speak english, because anybody becoming a citizen has to be able to speak english.

so if you think of it, its not a bad thing you got passed over. if they hired illegal immigrants, and the feds catch them, they close the plant, and you are out of a job. it happened up here. a man hired a bunch of people through a Temp agency that told him they were all legal, and turned out they were all illegal. he got arrested and his factory closed down.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Was that specified in the job advert?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                      While I've never encountered this myself, I've been tempted to answer some of the ads in the paper here that specify "bilingual" in the ad. I'm in New Mexico, so they would probably prefer a Spanish speaker. BUT, it only says bilingual, which means, two languages. Which does not mean Spanish and another language. It could be Swedish and Swahili! I am bilingual, I speak English and French! (But, I can curse like a sailor in Spanish! )

Ljt09863, go visit the Segudo Barrio in El Paso, TX. There's people down there, and I mean in their 50', 60's, 70's....that are natural born US citizens and don't speak a word of English.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Ljt09863, go visit the Segudo Barrio in El Paso, TX. There's people down there, and I mean in their 50', 60's, 70's....that are natural born US citizens and don't speak a word of English.
                        Visit Miami, same thing there. I actually had a waiter who didn't speak english.
                        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

There's a deli here in town that I applied to work at at least half a dozen times, and was never hired (despite having experience and, oh, being able to READ). All the employees were black and all the other people filling out apps were black. I didn't think anything of it until about my fourth time trying to get a job there when I was sitting with a young black girl who COULD NOT READ the application to fill it out. I helped her out, read her some things, etc. The manager of the place SAW this, talked to the girl about her lack of skills, etc.

We were the only two who filled out applications, and guess who got the job?

I can't prove it, but after six tries, my mother told me not to waste my time because "your tan obviously isn't deep enough".

...and she said it IN the deli in front of everyone.
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                            "your tan obviously isn't deep enough".
                            I've had that sort of problems too. It's really odd, I grew up with neighbors, have very good family friends (and my home insurance agent to boot), my sister is marrying a fellow, that are "black" (for lack of better term, since they could have been Haitian, Jamaican, or whatever).

But since I'm whiter than snow (except the red shoulders from wearing tanktop while riding my bike), they* assume I'm ignoring them or treating them differently because of race and not because I didn't hear or see them. And you know, first impression and all....

Well, back to the regular schedule topic. I think the "term" reverse-racism should be tossed out. It implies that the majority "color" can not be victim of racism, nor a minority can be a racist. Which is a special kind of B.S., it allows one to be a racist with protection from racism. Racism is racism, regardless of the racist color or the victim color.

*they as in folks use racism as a trump card.
                            Last edited by LostMyMind; 09-07-2006, 05:03 PM. Reason: clarification
                            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                              That's not entirely unreasonable. There are some jobs where recent immigrants (possibly illegal) are all they can afford. If you're going to supervise them you need to be able to talk to them.
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X