This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty applications

Had a guy come into work today to interview for assistant warehouse manager (last one just retired). He seems like a nice guy, and has the necessary expericence to do the job, but his application and resume were dirty.

I don't mean a spec of dirt or a little drop of coffee, I mean a big yellow stain on his app and a red stain on his resume.

Now I'm not the type of person that really cares about small stains, but this was ridiculous. It was really hard to read what was on his resume and his app.

My question is how much would you mark him down for that and have you ever had messy or weird applications. On his application he wrote double jointed as a special skill.
    Last edited by Think Blue; 09-01-2006, 01:43 AM.
    KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Can't say we have to deal with that problem at my store. Now, we have a computer kiosk in the store that people apply on, and a printed application prints up in the offices after the applicant has finished applying on the kiosk.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Can't say we have to deal with that problem at my store. Now, we have a computer kiosk in the store that people apply on, and a printed application prints up in the offices after the applicant has finished applying on the kiosk.
      Same at my store AND at Goodwill. (Both places, however, switched to the kiosk AFTER I was hired, and NO, I don't think it was because of me. )

At the gas station, it was all paper applications, all the time. They were always in decent shape. Thank goodness.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I would wonder about the quality and care the person would bring to the job if they couldn't even be bothered to present a professional looking resume.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
          I would wonder about the quality and care the person would bring to the job if they couldn't even be bothered to present a professional looking resume.
          I agree! If someone can't keep a piece of paper clean in the time it takes to get it from the printer at home to the store they apply at, then how would they fair keeping their workplace clean?

Comment

Quoth DrinkJockey View Post
            must get my mind out of the gutter...

so yeah, that's right there with incomplete applications, says a lot..
            We've had our fair share of nasty applicants who put down things we shouldn't know on their applications, but thats another post for another day
            Last edited by Think Blue; 09-01-2006, 09:13 PM.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Comment

I've never gotten any dirty ones, but I do so love the ones that people don't bother to proofread (my favorite is still the girl who listed "writting" as a skill), plus the other day we got a poorly photocopied one.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

had one person asking for an appliation form, filled it in immedietly and asked how much her staff discount was(!)
                "...and you've got people. Billions of people walking about like happy meals with legs...." Spike

Comment

My manager showed me one and said "I hope you never accept a resume like this from someone." (any CS staff could accept resumes at the time and hand them over to a manager)

It was so badly stained and water damaged you couldn't read anything. And I mean ANYTHING! There wasn't a decernible line on it! The only thing you could read was what the CSR wrote (a couple questions about desired position and availability) I took it and promply put it in the round filing basket. My manager said that's exactly what I should do. The sad part is, he wanted to be a manager.

He actually came back and asked why we didn't contact him! I told him that he wasn't what we were after.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Think Blue View Post
                    We've had our fare share of nasty applicants who put down things we shouldn't know on their applications, but thats another post for another day
                    Please do tell?!?

Comment

Something from "Funniest applications" that I read somewhere. It was Reader's Digest, if memory serves me correct.

Previous Employment: Babysitter.
                      Reasons for leaving: Parents came home.

-It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
                      -I see the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. And these men are pumping gas and waiting tables.-Fight Club

Comment

Quoth Boulder_Bear View Post
                        Please do tell?!?
                        I only have a couple of them right now,

One applicant put no under sex and added a reason which was "because my whore wife gave me crabs"

Another guy put "well endowed" under special skills

one woman offered a "hot karl" if she was hired. (don't look up hot karl if you are eating or want to have any kind of appetite)

another woman wrote a whole paragraph on the back of her application about how she had an affair with her boss and in very graphic details what they did and why he can't be a reference.

There's more but I'd have to go to the file cabinet, I'll post some more later

Comment

Hmmm . . . I can't say I've seen any applications where too much personal info was on them, but I do recall back when Red was our CSM and would write on top of each application "Please complete using black ink ONLY."

This was a surefire, yet simple way to see how good the applicant was at following directions.

The majority of returned applications were done in either pencil or blue/red/green/purple ink. The few that were returned in black ink were the people that Red would call in for an interview.

But now we don't have paper applications - one has to apply online and can also search to see what positions are available at which stores.

Sometimes progress is a good thing.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I was working as a cocktail waitress at a "Gentlemen's Club" when I was 19 and the manager was reading applications to some of us one day because of the things that were written on them, the one that stands out that I remember was one girls answer to "reason for leaving" - she wrote, "because my boss was a prick"

Nice! When can you start? NOT!!
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                            X