This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "find a job" question

Is it a bad idea to bring in a formal portfolio of all the work I did in high school, since my management experience is minimal?

I am young now, but I did a lot of extracurricular activities in high school, including directing, acting, and writing for the local newspaper.

If I make it look professional are these things employers would want to see?
    JB: Are you the grief counselor?
    GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Quoth AngryCas View Post
    Is it a bad idea to bring in a formal portfolio of all the work I did in high school, since my management experience is minimal?

I am young now, but I did a lot of extracurricular activities in high school, including directing, acting, and writing for the local newspaper.

If I make it look professional are these things employers would want to see?
    Not unless those activities are applicable to the job you're interviewing for... or at least, if you bring them, do not pull them out unless the conversation drifts in that direction and the interviewer acts interested. Since you're applying for assistant manager position, in retail, it's not critical to have managment experience, at least not in most places. The things that are important are:

1) DRESS PROFESSIONALLY! Reasonably formal/professional clothes, bath in water, no bath in perfume or deoderant, etc. Yeah, sounds basic, but you wouldn't believe some of the people who interview. Also, be a little early, but not too early.

FWIW, I got the job I have had for the past fifteen years based on a decent resume and the fact that I showed up in a suit. I didn't have to open my mouth. I was expecting questions about my abilities, and the interviewer was rhaposdising about their health and 401K plan. You may be a bit lacking in the resume department, but that first impression... especially in retail... goes a long way towards demonstrating credibility.

2) Act interested in the company and the position. Ask questions about duties, responsibilities, possibly company history, philosophy, or culture. Save questions about money and benefits, unless you have some reason to believe that they're going to offer you very low wages.

Comment

I would not take them. If you were applying for a photographer position you would take a portfolio of your photographs but no need here. You can mention that stuff on your resume until you have a little experience to replace it with and make sure you mention it on the interview. You want to get just enough out there to let the interviewer know you are a go getter.

Steve B.

Comment

Basically what Gurndigarn mentioned. You can take them, just incase it drifts that way. But more likely than not, you will not need them. But it might never hurt. Just do what you think is best for you.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Yeah, basically the rule of interviews is "Don't waste their time." That includes things like showing up late, answering your phone during the interview, rambling on for minutes to answer simple questions, etc.

If the stuff doesn't directly relate to the position, they're not likely to be interested. If it doesn't tangentially relate to the position, they're really not going to care. Harsh but true. An assistant manager's position? Not likely going to require journalism or theatre skills directly. Mention it on the resume, answer questions if asked about it. Extra-curriculars are good to show skill sets and ambition, but the reason they aren't likely to care? They probably aren't going to know how to evaluate it, and don't want to show ignorance to the person they're supposed to be interviewing.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

If you're completing one of those "liar, liar" surveys, don't get up before finishing the damned thing and announce that you have another job interview in five more minutes... "I'll come back and finish this after that, though," Fucktard informs me.
            I wanted to give him my best Mr. Grainger ("Are You Being Served?"): "Oh, no, no, no, no, no..."

I'm happy to say, "That won't be necessary" sufficed!
            Last edited by lastofthesummerwine; 03-03-2008, 05:45 PM. Reason: My stupidity, no?
            "It's not me that you hate; it's those nasty truths I serve up. Hey, man, I'm just honesty's vessel!" --Me

Comment

Quoth lastofthesummerwine View Post
              If you're completing one of those "liar, liar" surveys, don't get up before finishing the damned thing and announce that you have another job interview in five more minutes... "I'll come back and finish this after that, though," Fucktard informs me.
              I wanted to give him my best Mr. Grainger ("Are You Being Served?"): "Oh, no, no, no, no, no..."

I'm happy to say, "That won't be necessary" sufficed!
              Whooooooaaa! Where in FT's mind did he EVER think that was an appropriate thing to do?! If I were you, I would have let him come back, and then ripped it up in front of him!
              JB: Are you the grief counselor?
              GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Working...
              X