X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning bells

This is more for the fems of CS.

Have you had a customer that set off warning flags?

I just had a guy that came in that set off every single reg flag that I have ever had.

He comes in with his son, and a cell phone attached to his ear. He didn't get off the cell phone during the time he was here. His kid goes straight to our candy jar, eats some candy and drops the wrappers on the floor. While I work on his dad's laptop (and get freaked out), he starts kicking them around, and kicks one under a desk.

Now, remember, Dad's on the cell phone. I boot up his laptop, and while I'm waiting for it, he comes and stands right behind me. Normally when you're looking over someone's shoulder, you stand to the side and slightly back, so you're more catty cornered to the person, rather than standing behind him. This guy was full fledged BEHIND me. I could not see him in my perpherial vision, and that totally just FREAKED ME OUT! If I know you are behind me, and I can't see you, that's bad for me.

This guy was (supposedly) married to a faculty member, so technically, we don't have to support him, but keep getting stuck with him, and he just bothers me, and I think it almost borders on scaring me.

Bossman cares enough to say that if he comes in again, let him or someone else deal with it. Dept head and AAFH understand what I'm saying. I guess it's a girl thing.

Any other stories??

Jenni
    Last edited by gbm85; 09-07-2006, 04:52 AM.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    This guy was full fledged BEHIND me. I could not see him in my perpherial vision, and that totally just FREAKED ME OUT! If I know you are behind me, and I can't see you, that's bad for me.
    Well, being male. I don't have this problem. However, having 4 sisters who I'm protective of. I understand what you saying.

When you have this problem, just pull a page out of "deaf" folks book. I'm sorry, I'm hard of hearing could you please face me. (Also works great for getting folks to get that cell-phone out of their faces)
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Just the guy who called once & kept asking if I would hold on while he "played with his 'remote.'" That was just gross.
      The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

The continuous cellphone thing is what would start up warning bells with me. He's obviously too self-absorbed and/or needy to be aware of or care about the effect of his behavior on others. (I hate these jacka***s on Bluetooths.) He's ignoring his child's behavior (which is only going to get worse in his attempts to get daddy's attention), and his moving into your personal space is completely out of line.

Personally, but I'm an older, taller female, I would have told him quite politely to back off, while standing up and facing him. "Excuse me, but could you please step back." Then just stare him in the face. If you can't stare him in the eyes, stare at the end of his nose, he can't tell the difference. Do this until he moves. Don't turn your back. Don't work on his computer. Don't answer the phone. Sooner or later, he'll notice the lack of activity, and may put the other party on hold. Then, repeat your request. If he doesn't follow your instructions, close up his laptop, say, "I'm sorry, I can't help you," and give it back to him. Then walk out of the area, preferably to the back and tell your manager. Don't explain yourself, don't engage with him in any way. He's now out of your life.

My personal guess is that he's feeling overshadowed in the academic community by his spouse, and tries very hard to make himself feel bigger and better. You can handle him. You've got the ovaries.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Unfortunately, yes.

A guy who compliments you on any piece of clothing you're wearing is either checking out what lies beneath such clothing, or is gay.

There was this one guy who would come into the dealership, close friends with the owner, who would constantly compliment me on my sweater or skirt. And I'm like, "Do you think that will distract me from the fact that you're staring at my chest and ass???" I mean, puh-lease- am I supposed to be flattered? I was in my early twenties, he was in his fifties and the years were NOT treating him kindly. Blech!

Comment

wait what?
            that is not true!
            i compliment my friends clothing from time to time and im definitely not checking them out and am not gay either
            that statement is not fair to men, just because a lot of men do that doesnt mean all do, a lot of men dont do that

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
              I was in my early twenties, he was in his fifties and the years were NOT treating him kindly. Blech!
              Like the guy that told me I have a ghetto booty...

"I'm old enough to be your grand-daddy!"

Jenni
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I can relate to you Jenni on that also. I hate it, whenever some stranger is standing right behind me.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                  Unfortunately, yes.

A guy who compliments you on any piece of clothing you're wearing is either checking out what lies beneath such clothing, or is gay.
                  WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!
                  Did I mention that was wrong? And ignorant? Sexist?

I used to compliment my female coworkers alot on their clothes, outfits, accessories, etc. (When we still worked together. I left the company).
                  We were all very close to one another, because we were all together for such a long time (5+ years- and I don't mean that kind of close). They were like my little sisters, I was their big brother.

It's sad that a man cannot give a woman coworker a compliment, because doing so is considered sexual harassment. Political Correctness BULLSHIT is to blame for this.

Not all men are like that. Some men, like me, genuinely likes a woman for who you are, not just because you have breasts.
                  And I am not gay.

Ok, I will stop now before I really get on a rant. I'll save the anti-PC thread for another post.
                  Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Generalizations regarding gender and racial stereotypes are never a good thing.
                    Last edited by Ree; 09-07-2006, 04:12 AM.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      Generalizations regrading gender and racial stereotypes are never a good thing.
                      Agreed. It's very stupid.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

OT, I have learned NOT to judge a person by color age or anything other than behavior. In other words, a wanker is a wanker. The customers that creep me out are the ones who get "personal." The wierd jerk who was mad that I did not know who he was (I did not get the brain to brain message that "he was important" fast enough) asks a LOT of personal questions. Um NO YOU MAY NOT ASK ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE! I do not care how long you have been a customer: my life outside work is NONE of your business! I am very cold and correct with this jackass and am waiting for him to pull the same crap he pulls with the rest of the staff "None of your business" is a polite answer, right?

Comment

Quoth csdrone View Post
                          OT, I have learned NOT to judge a person by color age or anything other than behavior. In other words, a wanker is a wanker. The customers that creep me out are the ones who get "personal." The wierd jerk who was mad that I did not know who he was (I did not get the brain to brain message that "he was important" fast enough) asks a LOT of personal questions. Um NO YOU MAY NOT ASK ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE! I do not care how long you have been a customer: my life outside work is NONE of your business! I am very cold and correct with this jackass and am waiting for him to pull the same crap he pulls with the rest of the staff "None of your business" is a polite answer, right?
                          My personal response to something like that is to do the "Spock eyebrow" and say, "How exactly is that any of your business?" It must come off scary cold; most of 'em squirm.

Morgana

Comment

This guy who interviewed me once. (mentioned elsewhere) He asked me loads of personal questions, like "Do you have a boyf?" which I found creepy. When he asked me if I was wearing a bra, I upped and left. Pervert.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              This guy who interviewed me once. (mentioned elsewhere) He asked me loads of personal questions, like "Do you have a boyf?" which I found creepy. When he asked me if I was wearing a bra, I upped and left. Pervert.

I would've thought that somehow I'd ended up in an episode of "the Office."

Comment

Working...
                              X