X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's Hard Lemonade - not just for grownups anymore

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...eads_to_s.html

This guy(a University professor) buys his son a lemonade at a baseball game. The only problem is its Mike's Hard Lemonade. Kid is removed by CPS. Dad insists he thought it was regular lemonade and it was just a simple accident - says CPS overreacted terribly. He is bitching about the "bureaucratic runaround" he had to go through to get his kid back.

I think the guy is an SC moron and he should be on his knees giving thanks that it only took him two or three days to get his son back.

I dunno. If you're not familiar with the Mike's product line, it could happen. I've known people who didn't know it, and were surprised when they found out it had alcohol in it.

Add in marketing by various companies ("extreme" products, etc), and it's easy to miss that something contains alcohol unless you're careful.

Yes, the price should probably have been a tipoff. But at a sporting event, with the atmosphere there, and the money flowing pretty freely already, that's also a mistake I could see myself making.

Just makes me grateful that I'm not likely to have to deal with any CPS services, since I'm not going to be a father in this lifetime.

Comment

I dunno, it said park security spotted the boy drinking out of a bottle, if someone hands me an unfamiliar looking bottle/can I check the label for the name and name of the distributor (this happened when they changed the Killian's labels). Anyone who's seen bottles of mike's can tell ya it says "mike's HARD lemonade" (emphasis added) right across the front

what a dumbass
      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

The father should've read the label or ask if it was an alcoholic drink before getting some for both him and his son.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          I dunno. If you're not familiar with the Mike's product line, it could happen. I've known people who didn't know it, and were surprised when they found out it had alcohol in it.
          When I worked at Oriole Park last year we sold Mike's. But it was only sold at certain stands, specifically alcohol stands. It was displayed alongside Smirnoff Ice and similar products. Regular lemonade was sold at food stands alongside the other fountain drinks.

I agree there is a chance this guy just made a mistake but I think he should admit that CPS is not overreacting, they are trying to protect his child. At the end of the day, he did something wrong and potentially dangerous(although accidentally). He should be glad he was not arrested, instead of angry that CPS stepped in.
          That smells like SC behavior to me.

Comment

My dad used to give me sips of beer when I was little.

It's a wonder I wasn't placed in foster care.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wouldn't the dad also have been carded to buy the lemonade?
              It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

CPS did over react to a point and the Dad is a SC to a point. But he admitted to making a mistake and several people said that the kid was fine enough to go home with his parents. When CPS claimed that the child couldn't go home with his parents some reletives were called. CPS aggreed to having the child taken by the releltives. The child was then put into an undisclosed fostor home before the reletives got to the office. THAT was the sucky part of the CPS outfit.

Dad wanted his child back, thats not SC. That is a good parent fighting for his child. The way he talked about the CPS was indeed sucky.

And up to about a year or so ago I did NOT know that Hard Lemonaide meant that their was alcohol in it. I wasn't watching tv, I was studying and going to school as well as working on a home farm. Biggest entertainment was a hour or so a week on the PS2. It stated that Dad was normally out in excavition sites out of the country. Want to bet that those places out in the middle of no where didn't have Mikes Hard Lemonaide? Yes he should have checked but when he called for a lemonaide in the atands and was given the bottle, he thought thats all he got, a lemonaide. Why check the bottle?

Here in our home stadium we have guys with the drink holders totting up and down the glass bottles of NA and A items. Yes they were different shirts and don't carry them together but if you don't know the difference. It's easy to get one thing when you wanted another.

Comment

CPS, does intend to over-react at times. And I can see this being one of those times.

Hell I drunk some Whiskey, when I was younger. My grandmother always had tea in this one cup. And when I was visiting her and playing the whole day. I went to get a drink of tea. But that is not what I got.

It is a good thing that the CPS was not in the neighbor hood then. She would have been locked up and I would never see her again.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Going well thus far, but we had better keep it on track.

There are CPS threads on Fratching. The question here is whether or not the father is an SC and should have known what he was giving his son.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I don't know anything about whether or not he should have or not. I'm leaning towards "no." People don't always know things like that, especially if they don't drink. My great aunt got pretty drunk one afternoon on some of those "cool aid drinks" the "kids" (her grown grandchildren) had left in the fridge. She weighed 98pounds, was approaching 100 years old, and had no idea that the Bartles and James she was quaffing enthusiastically all afternoon had alcohol in it.

My buddy Ivar, an experienced and enthusiastic drinker, once got drunk to the point of being incapacitated at a party we were playing at. He decided to "be good" and not drink that night because we were playing music and he wanted to be at his best. And then he found the jello jigglers and downed a very large number of them before it became painfully obvious that he was drunk off his ass. Talk about someone who "should have known." But the fact of the matter is that he just didn't.

We don't know if the Dad got carded or not. I buy booze and don't always get carded. He may have been so clearly of age, and the vendor so busy, he simply didn't get carded.

Comment

The dad flat out admitted that he didn't read the label and should have. He flat out admitted that he didn't feel that the police over-reacted.

He just didn't see why, after receiving medical clearance, he wasn't allowed to take his son home.

I don't think he was sucky. Naive maybe, but not sucky.

I'm surprised his kid didn't think the lemonade tasted funny.
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Not sucky but the consession stand should have given him what he asked for. When I ask for a lemonaide, I shouldn't be given a Mike's hard lemonaide just like when I ask for an iced te I shouldn't be given a Long Island iced tea.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

While it understand the father and the fact the accidentally gave his child a drink with alcohol in it. I can understand the CPS response as well.

When situations go wrong CPS is to blame. When they try to make sure that things are okay, are we to blame them as well? They didn't know if this was a one time occurance or one that was ongoing.

How many times have we heard from shoplifters saying that meant they meant to pay for it and forgot?

Comment

How many people here have even heard someone refer to an alcoholic beverage as a "hard" drink? I could probably count on one hand the number of people I've personally met that have any inkling of why sodas and juices are referred to as "soft drinks." According to the story, the sign didn't actually include the word "hard" in the listing.

The label on the bottle doesn't exactly go out of it's way to proclaim it's alcohol content. It used to say "Premium Malt Beverage" right under the logo in white letters of an eye-catching size. Now, it appears that the declaration of it being a malt beverage is the same yellow-ish color and tiny size as the alcohol content notice and the volume of the bottle.

For those who care, the alcohol content is 5%, which is pretty normal for most beers and malt beverages. For comparison, Bayer's Children's Cough Syrup is also 5% alcohol. Colgate Mouthwash, on the other hand, is over 15%. Nyquil is 25%. And Listerine Antiseptic is one of the worst at 26.9% alcohol content. And people wonder why addicts drink the stuff! As contrast, most wines are between 10 and 22% alcohol.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X