Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Was she sucky?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Cashier

Default Was she sucky?

My fiance and I went to Denny's at like 12am and it was pretty quiet. The waitress was there ASAP and sat us down and was really awesome the whole night.

The guy behind us kept bitching that his food was late when it wasn't. We were there before them and we got ours first and he was getting angry that it was taking so long when it was actually all done in a decent time. Actually perfect.

Great food, great service. It came to $27.

Now, I didn't have any cash on me. My boy toy and I like to give nice tips. We're not rich but we won't eat somewhere and not tip.

We go up to pay and I use my card.

The angry man was up our asses as I handed her my card.

Waitress: Do you want to add anything to your bill?

But the way she said it... Her tone. It was in that sarcastic, don't forget to leave me something voice. It startled my man and I. I paused for a second because it seemed really rude.

But then I thought about it, she was probably having a bad night and probably got stiffed the whole time.

Me: Ten dollars.

Her: Really!? Thank you...

Me: Your service was excellent.

Her manager was right there to witness all this too.

I mean, she must have had a shitty night or something and figured we would've stiffed her like the last group and the angry man who got his change before I got my receipt back. He didn't tip her.

Now, did she seem sucky? Just the way she said it... But in the end maybe I made her day a little bit better.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Fire the Ineptitude Cannon!

The co-eater behind you doesn't seem to have learned the single most important rule about restaurants: do not screw with people who handle your food.

I'm not saying they necessarily did anything to him, but it sounds like he might have earned it...

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Captain Save-a-Ho

You know, hard to say. I think that the asshat in her section probably threw her off her game. If the service was great and you guys had a pleasant experience up to the point of paying, its probably safe to say that the other diner had her frazzled - especially since he was right behind you guys.

I'd say she probably didn't mean to come off as rude...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Elective

and you probably made her night a lot better after that too.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Awesome bitch

One of my aunts is a Denny's waitress - in her experience, if people are using a card, they don't tip. That might have been the issue....

If a restaurant ever asked me if I wanted to add an amount to my bill, I wouldn't eat there again. Where I live, the keypad is handed to the customer and then you can add your tip without telling the staff how much you're leaving them. Just a personal peeve of mine. It's kind of like telling my boyfriend what I'm going to buy him for his birthday or something LOL (yeah, I'm weird, I know... I just prefer them not to know until after the transaction is done).

Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Cashier

It may have been a hard night for her...
At least you seem to have suprised her in a nice way.

I like to give tips if the service is good, whether I have my card or not.
... Heh, though if it's like one place I went years ago, the service was bad, the food was bad and the managers response was bad.
On the receipt line for "tip", I proceeded to write "Get A Better Job" and never went there again.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Resident Troublemaker

Quote:
Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
On the receipt line for "tip", I proceeded to write "Get A Better Job" and never went there again.
You were an SC for doing so.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Cashier

Normally I would agree with you, but it was, bar-none, the worst eating experience I've ever had... On par with a "How the heck do they stay in business?!" kinda way.

Thankfully it's never happened anywhere else I've ever been.
.... Heh, that and my wife raises her eyebrow at me if she feels I'm being stingy with the tip if we go out to eat now. My man-fu is weak and I cannot defeat the raised eyebrow.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Software Mercenary

Raised eyebrows are powerful. Ask Havelock Vetinari.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Security

Quote:
Quoth tollbaby View Post
One of my aunts is a Denny's waitress - in her experience, if people are using a card, they don't tip. That might have been the issue....
we normally leave partial tip in cash and partial credit card.