X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• um... Australian ones?

Customer: "What sort of $1 coins does the car wash take?"

I can understand this, actually. There are some machines that take special tokens that generally run you a buck and are only used at said machine.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yeah, but tokens are not $1 coins, even if they're worth a buck.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

that and the US does have four different dollar coins still in circulation.

Eisenhower dollar (1971–1978)
        Anthony dollar (1979–1981; 1999)
        Sacagawea dollar (2000–Present)
        Presidential Dollar Coin Program (2007–2016?)
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

Except EH is in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they have multiples like that.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
            Yeah, but tokens are not $1 coins, even if they're worth a buck.
            Some amusement parks used to use coins that said "1$" on one side and "not valid anywhere else" on the other. (Riverbend tried that and they went back to their old coinage system)
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              Some amusement parks used to use coins that said "1$" on one side and "not valid anywhere else" on the other. (Riverbend tried that and they went back to their old coinage system)
              Oh! You totally reminded me of these "Downtown Dollar" things we had here. I never really found out just what they were for beyond parking and taking the bus, but supposedly they could also be used at some businesses downtown. So some areas do have stuff like that.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Australia has $1 & $2 coins. Their paper money doesn't come in anything less than a five note if I remember correctly (been a few years since I went down under). I sure did have some heavy damn pockets after a few days of being there though.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Except EH is in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they have multiples like that.
                  It wouldn't matter anyway, if they did, since one of the main requirements of all four variants of the USD $1 coins is that their mass and dimensions be close enough to the Eisenhower to be considered identical by automated devices like vending machines and car-washes.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    It wouldn't matter anyway, if they did, since one of the main requirements of all four variants of the USD $1 coins is that their mass and dimensions be close enough to the Eisenhower to be considered identical by automated devices like vending machines and car-washes.
                    Look again. The US dollar coins minted since 1979 (Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars) are much small than the dollar coins minted earlier (Eisenhower dollar). The coins since 1979 are 26.5mm in diameter and weight 8.1 gm. The ones minted earlier are 38.1 mm in diameter and weigh 22.68 to 24.59 gm depending on the composition.

Eisenhower dollar.

Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      They do change the design every now and then, but the size and weight is always the same. I've got one somewhere with a special mark on it that indicates I made it by pressing the button on the make-your-own-$1-coin machine at the mint.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        They do change the design every now and then, but the size and weight is always the same. I've got one somewhere with a special mark on it that indicates I made it by pressing the button on the make-your-own-$1-coin machine at the mint.
                        Something like that ought to drive collectors crazy a hundred or so years from now.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Look again. The US dollar coins minted since 1979 (Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars) are much small than the dollar coins minted earlier (Eisenhower dollar). The coins since 1979 are 26.5mm in diameter and weight 8.1 gm. The ones minted earlier are 38.1 mm in diameter and weigh 22.68 to 24.59 gm depending on the composition.

Eisenhower dollar.

Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars.
                          My bad. I just assumed because the other three were the same they matched the Eisenhower.

My point, though, is still valid. No matter the country, all the commonly occurring dollar coins are as interchangeable with others from the same currency system.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                            y point, though, is still valid. No matter the country, all the commonly occurring dollar coins are as interchangeable with others from the same currency system.
                            Not in vending machines if they've changed sizes, or sometimes metal content. Which does happen. For instance, the US half-dime was made out of silver and was half the size of a dime for a long time, until they decided that that was just too itty-bitty for practical use (and a silver shortage helped the demise of the half-dime). How often change like this happens depends on country stability, inflation, and stoginess.

The US has made special effort to try to ensure the dollar coins after Ike had similar weights and electromagnetic signatures, otherwise some machines would have rejected whichever one they weren't set up for.

Comment

The Gold Kind... Goodness Me some people!

Are you in Sydney EH? Cause if you are I am going to start taking extra bloody care crossing the road! THAT PERSON DRIVES!

Comment

Working...
                              X