This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Card Trouble

Our store sells gift cards that are essentially store-only cash. They come with two parts - the upper half that includes the hole for the hook it hangs from, an area to address it to someone as an actual gift, and the barcode that you scan to first purchase it.

The bottom half includes the magnetic strip you swipe to use it, and a second barcode you scan to add money to the card.

The two are separated by a snap line.

I had a couple come in today who wanted to pay with a gift card. I finished ringing it up, and they gave me the top half of the gift card. I explained that this part of the card was for purchase and display purchases, and that I needed the bottom half to actually charge things to it.

Turns out they'd gotten it backwards. They threw away the bottom half (the real card), and put the top (useless display plastic) in his wallet.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Stupid snap line.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've had people do that before at my grocery store. Fortunately, they haven't gotten pissed at me for their own stupidity......... yet.
      "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Wow, crazy. How much was their card worth?

I had a customer once whose child had "won" a $10 gift card from his teacher... and even though she had written $10 on there, the card was actually only for five. I don't know who made the mistake, the teacher or a cashier... but I felt pretty bad for that kid. Fortunately his mom chipped in a few bucks for the $9.99 toy he wanted. (Though she didn't seem to thrilled about it).

Comment

Working...
        X