This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Piddle Fountain -- an extremely mild rant

As far as problems in the workplace go, this one's minor. I fear though, that it will grow with time the way it did at the other hotel.

The issue is that here at the Blah Inn, we've recently acquired a fountain that once graced the lobby at the Dreadful Inn, another property that we own. It cost $200, and was clearly deeply overpriced. The clerks at the Dreadful grew to hate it for the fact that it's ugly as sin, and with its hypnotic splashing it was putting them to sleep, in addition to sounding like someone peeing. Hence the moniker, the "piddle fountain."

My boss, however, loves the fountain. I don't know why. It's a ghastly ceramic thing where the water pours from what looks like broken pottery jars, from one to another to another. It used to pour from the last jar onto a little millwheel attached to a little house perched on the lip of the fountain. On the left side, across for the mini-mill is -- why not? -- a large ceramic saddle perched on a wagon wheel. Both of them dwarf the little mill and the jars.

As my boss is Hindu, I don't know why she picked this thing out. It's trailer park chic. You'd think at least we would have ended up with an elephant, or at least a goddess with lots of arms and anger management issues. Instead, we have the piddle fountain. I helped my boss install it in the lobby last night.

It's been going all night and it's already getting on my nerves a little. Not much. Yet.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I vote for subtle sabotage of the fountain. Minor alterations at strategic points. Hopefully you'll be able to get it to the point where it keeps spilling water on the floor, necessitating its removal. At the very least you'll get to take out your eventual annoyance on it.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Covertly add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap
      Testing
      "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
        I wish I'd thought of that!!!!!!!!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Here's what you do:
          Pass around a collection and get the amount of money that the fountain is worth.
          Have a friend come in, carrying something big, heavy and awkward.
          Smite the fountain.
          Have the money on hand in case the bossman insists on compensation.
          Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
            My boss, however, loves the fountain. I don't know why. It's a ghastly ceramic thing <snip>
            I MUST see pictures of that!

I have a theory about how people get attached to piddle fountains, horrible half-dead shrubberies, hideous paint jobs and other crimes against asthetics.

The person who hangs onto these things is doing so because he or she invested time, work and/or money in them. They probably are well aware that gold-flecked, smoke grey mirror tiles look terrible in the living room, but damnit, they spent $500 and two weeks putting it up back in 1973. If they tear it down, all the money and effort is "wasted." So they spend the next ten years staring at an ugly wall rather than getting a nicer one.

It's almost as if the wall has them under some horrible spell and they can't get free until the wall is destroyed or they move away from it.

So you and everyone else sees (and hears) an ugly little piddle fountain; you boss sees an ugly little piddle fountain and the $200 she used to buy it. That's why she won't/can't get rid of it.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

dishwashing liquid
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
                Within the past couple weeks, somebody poured a bunch of soap into the fountain at Love Park in Philadelphia. There were suds EVERYWHERE. It was a funny sight.

Comment

Maybe it was a major award.

Comment

When my boss brought this thing over last night, it had a quarter inch of rusty scum caked in the bottom of it, and probably most of it is still there despite our best efforts. We tried very hard to clean it, and apparently the brush we used had soap in it because the fountain started to foam like a mad dog as soon as we turned it on, and it's still going strong today, some 20-odd hours after we got it going. The guests are divided on their opinions of it although one very sweet older lady said it looks like snow, which she doesn't get to see now that she lives in Miami, so it made her happy to see it.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                      We tried very hard to clean it, and apparently the brush we used had soap in it because the fountain started to foam like a mad dog as soon as we turned it on, and it's still going strong today, some 20-odd hours after we got it going. The guests are divided on their opinions of it although one very sweet older lady said it looks like snow, which she doesn't get to see now that she lives in Miami, so it made her happy to see it.
                      If she thinks bubbles look like snow, she really hasn't seen much of it...

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                        If she thinks bubbles look like snow, she really hasn't seen much of it...
                        The way that they're piling up on the roof of the mini-mill, they actually sort of do look like snow.

Comment

I too vote for pictures of this horrendous fountain! Please post pictures!
                          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
                            Maybe it was a major award.

Must've been for 2nd place, we all know the lamp was for 1st!
                            USN Retired

Comment

I really wish I could post pics of this fountain, despite the very real risk that some of you would look at the pictures and thus be blinded or driven insane. Unfortunately, I have neither a scanner nor a digital camera, nor any place to store pics online if I did...

I'm what you might call a "dark age desk clerk."

Edit: Believe me, if I had a pic, I'd have posted my infamous all teeth smile by now, too. For lack of high technology, the world plods on without pics of the piddle fountain, or the smile that conforms to Blah Inn standards.

Comment

Working...
                              X