This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not my name

We have a regular customer who comes in and sits at the bar for hours on end. All he does is complain about everything that is wrong in the world, and moan about various things that have annoyed him during the day. Whenever he enters, people flee the bar and go off to do something else. Last person to flee is stuck with him, and unfortunately it was my turn.

After about twenty minutes of him complaining about everything, he sighs.

SC: I don't know Richard. What's the world coming to?
    Me: ....
    SC: I'm sorry, may I call you Richard?
    Me: Well, it's not my name.
    SC: What is your name?
    Me: Customersruinmylife.
    SC: ...
    Me: ...
    SC: I prefer Richard.

So now, he calls me Richard EVERY TIME he comes into the bar. I keep correcting him, but the response I get is "Sorry Richard, I'll remember next time."

Just don't respond next time. It's not your name, therefore you will NOT respond.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

The cleaner at The Chemists used to call me Rob (or some other name, I can't remember now) for months, I was too embarassed to correct her and it was only when I went on holiday for a bit then came back that she started to call me by my right name. I can only image she asked someone where I was and they went 'who?' and then the truth came out...
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

There's this old man at work who's called me Rachel, Raquel, Renee...

He's given up and doesn't call me anything at all now.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Re: Thread title:
          "Is your name 'Joey'?"
          "Cause I'm gonna call ya 'Slowey Joey!"
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

"They call me hot
            They call me sex-y
            They call me her
            They call me jane

That's not my name
            that's not my name
            that's not my name
            that's not my name"

Sorry. I'll go away now.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about search youtube for the Ting Tings.)
            Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

My dad had three Navajo guys as employees, all brothers. They had kind of an accent so he got a little mixed up on the one guy's name. He thought it was "Fletcher". So payday comes around and he has all three of them in his office and he comes to a timecard filled out by Frederick.

So he asks, "okay, who's Frederick?" They don't answer, just kind of shuffle their feet and look at each other out of the corner of their eyes. He repeats the question and "Fletcher" raises his hand. My dad was quite embarrassed and lamely says, "oh, I thought you were Fletcher..." One of the other brothers shrugged and replied, "Well, that's what you call him."
              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I used to know an [really really] old man like that. Lived a pretty sad life, actually. Lost his wife in a war some where, his kid was mentally disturbed and lived in a loony bend, his friends and family all dead from something tragic (I have no idea what it was but I do strongly suspect he's a Holocaust survivor). He'd call me all sorts of names even though my name was clearly posted on my name tag. Nothing ever resembling my name, but I let him because everytime I reminded him he'd apologize so much I wanted to cry.

Sad old men make me teary.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                  My dad had three Navajo guys as employees, all brothers. They had kind of an accent so he got a little mixed up on the one guy's name. He thought it was "Fletcher". So payday comes around and he has all three of them in his office and he comes to a timecard filled out by Frederick.
                  Huh. I've heard Navajo accents (plus a lot of other Native Amerian accents) all my life and never heard one where "Frederick" would get mistaken for "Fletcher"?
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I have a professor who's getting up there in years (68), and she's always called me "Kim." It's to the point that whenever she says "Kim" I know she's talking about me; it often leaves my classmates dumbfounded, as there's never a Kim around. For the record--my name is Allison. Which doesn't exactly rhyme with "Kim."

Comment

My first name is Lauren. It is not Laurie, Laura, Loren, Lorien, Laurel, Layla, Lainey, Lana, Lareina, Lara, Lorrine, or any other variant. It's L-A-U-R-E-N, as in Lauren Bacall, as in Ralph Lauren, as in my name tag, as in what my co-workers are calling me, as in the girl about to smack you when you repeatedly get it wrong.
                      I'm usually pretty forgiving on little things, but I have to deal with it so often...
                      "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
                      "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
                      X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

"Burt Reynolds"

"Ah, that's not my name."

"Okay....Turd Ferguson!"

"Yeah, whaddaya want?"

"You buzzed in!"

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did!"

"Well, that's your opinion!"

"I hate my job!"

/end
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
                          My first name is Lauren. It is not Laurie, Laura, Loren, Lorien, Laurel, Layla, Lainey, Lana, Lareina, Lara, Lorrine, or any other variant. It's L-A-U-R-E-N, as in Lauren Bacall, as in Ralph Lauren, as in my name tag, as in what my co-workers are calling me, as in the girl about to smack you when you repeatedly get it wrong.

I get called Lauren all the time. Hint: my name is not Lauren, but it is one of the variations that you mentioned above.
                          Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

My name is Gwen (if you hadn't guessed)

I'm in wales. Gwen is a pretty common name here.

and yet, on 3 separate occasions, by 3 people (who all do not know each other) i have been called Beth.

Beth. wtf?

how on earth, even with a welsh accent, do you confuse Gwen with Beth???
                            sorry for my horrendous spelling; English is my first language, and I'm not dyslexic. I'm just shite at spelling

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              Huh. I've heard Navajo accents (plus a lot of other Native Amerian accents) all my life and never heard one where "Frederick" would get mistaken for "Fletcher"?
                              It actually sounded like "Fetchrick" but for some reason "Fletcher" was the name my Dad's brain settled on.
                              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X