This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot Environmentalist

OK, there's nothing wrong with caring for the environment, but if you're going to take an "enlightened" viewpoint, it helps to actually BE just a little bit enlightened yourself.

A woman came into my store the other day and got very indignant with one of our cashiers. She accused her of being "wasteful" and "hurting the environment" because she wasn't reusing the acrylic security box her merchandise had been stored in.

OK, let's take a look at this. Woman comes up with a high-ticket item, which of course is in the security box. The cashier opens the box, removes the item, then tosses the box into a bin full of other boxes and security devices.

Well, obviously she's throwing it away, and has no intention of reusing it. How wasteful and wrong that is! Why didn't I draw such an obvious conclusion? Here's your sign.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

what did she expect, the cashier to run off to the back and immideatley put a new item in at an stock it, then ring her up?

This past earth day a similar custoemr approaches, I see her take a loaf of Italian bred form the display, and approaches me. I assumed she wanted it sliced.

Me: Hi! did you want that sliced?
    SC: NO! I was was wondering if this is baked fresh today? *hint, it was still warm*
    Me: Yes. All our bread is baked fresh each day, I jut put thees out about 10 minute ago.
    SC: That want I thought. How do your ovens work?
    Me: what do you mean?
    SC: well what do they use.
    Me: They are natural gas fired with electronic controls.
    SC: well, that is not good for the environment. *stomps off*

silly me, only on earth day do they use power and gas, the other 364 days a year they run off a dozen hamsters on wheels.

Comment

I really hope that the environment fad is over soon and we can get something decent again to fight about. Elections or something.

Some people are really losing it. We can stuff plastic pipes in cows butts to catch the gas they produce (I actually saw a pic of that, it was an idea floating in someone's weird mind) and run everything on wind/solar/nuclear energy, but if Mother Nature is going through her menopause... we can't do much about it.

*Looks outside to see the rain and storm and is thankful for icky environmental hostile airplanes that fly to warm places*

Comment

Quoth LoneWolf View Post
        I really hope that the environment fad is over soon and we can get something decent again to fight about.
        I agree completely. I'm getting really tired of hearing "green" this and "green" that.
        Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

I think the "fad" is here to stay ... it's not like the environment is going anywhere.

Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean that the premise is wrong ... taking care of what we have makes sense. In all aspects of life.

I saw a cow thing, too. They've figured out a way to measure just how much methane those walking grass-processors create. There are a LOT of cows. If it actually makes economic sense to harvest the methane they unwillingly produce, why not?
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Okay, I'm just going to cut this off before it gets really rolling. This forum is not the place to debate the merits of environmentalism. Fratching is the place for that. Here is the place to mock the stupid who don't think before they lecture.

*points and laughs at stupid customer who thinks she's better than everyone*
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

And I'll bet you five bucks, if the cashier had gone to reuse that box immediately, the SC would've complained that she wasn't getting her full attention.
              Or maybe she expected little robots to be wandering around the shop, collecting the boxes and reusing them....
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                Or maybe she expected little robots to be wandering around the shop, collecting the boxes and reusing them....
                yes, but iradney, if there had been little robots she would have complained about the energy wasted by said robots and demand to know if they were being powered by a renewable source
                FTR, my condo does receive renewable energy, along the lines of 300kWhrs per month from wind power... not all environmentalists are idiots, and not all idiots are environmentalists.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  OK, let's take a look at this. Woman comes up with a high-ticket item, which of course is in the security box. The cashier opens the box, removes the item, then tosses the box into a bin full of other boxes and security devices.

Well, obviously she's throwing it away, and has no intention of reusing it. How wasteful and wrong that is! Why didn't I draw such an obvious conclusion? Here's your sign.
                  [OCD] I think it's obvious that if the security box was going to be reused, the cashier would have stacked it nearly with all the other security boxes waiting to be reused, and not toss it into a jumbled pile in a box. Because we all know that to recycle stuff, it has to be stacked neatly. If it is in a big jumbled pile, it is obviously trash. [/OCD]

What it really means is that woman is an OCD environmentalist.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Speaking of stupid environmentalists... I heard on the radio about a guy who was harrassed by Greenpeace while on the train (over something he'd said about vegetarians on a previous show). His reply: "I'm taking public transport! Go hassle somebody in a car!"

Comment

I couldn't think of anything to say that's not considered for fratching, so I thought this would summate my thoughts better.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20080722
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        yes, but iradney, if there had been little robots she would have complained about the energy wasted by said robots and demand to know if they were being powered by a renewable source
                        They could be powered by the whinging of SC's!
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          They could be powered by the whinging of SC's!
                          If only...

If, like I think, the willingness to annoy others is among the Fundamental Forces of the Universe, there must be a way to channel it.
                          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                            I couldn't think of anything to say that's not considered for fratching, so I thought this would summate my thoughts better.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20080722
                            yeah, cooper is lucky that he could afford a new fuel efficient scooter... those of us in real life have our choice of pay to fill our tanks (even at 30mpg that is a lot) or take the bus...
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              yeah, cooper is lucky that he could afford a new fuel efficient scooter... those of us in real life have our choice of pay to fill our tanks (even at 30mpg that is a lot) or take the bus...
                              Some don't even have that bus/car choice. Where I live there is a bus system but it doesn't go everywhere and only runs from like 9-5. You need a car to get most places or your gonna be walking a few miles to your actual destination, even if you do take a bus.
                              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X