This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'FRAGILE' pronounced "Frajeelay"...from Italy

We got a call from the floor staff the other day to pull a laundry tub cabinet for a lady, and she was going to come around to the loading dock for it.

It took us a while, because we were looking for a big box, but it was in a small carton because it required assembly.

The lady pulled in and we had it ready to load, but she did a double-take. I thought it was because the display unit was all assembled and this wasn't.
    I said, "Oh, it requires assembly. Didn't they explain that to you?"

She said, "Oh, yeah, they said it would have to be put together, but you gave me the wrong one."
    I had checked it myself, so I knew it was right.

She said, "It says, 'GLASS'. You gave me a glass one. I don't want a glass laundry cabinet."

I said, "Maam, that means "GLASS. Handle with care. It's another way for them to say that it's 'FRAGILE.'"

She just kind of went, "Oh," and grabbed it up. I still don't think she believed me, though."
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

I'm always reminded of Rugrats whenever I see FRAGILE. I think it's the episode where Suzy moves into the neighborhood. One mover says to the other, "Hey Frank! What does FRA-JEE-LAY mean?"
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I don't understand the brain burp here. The box said GLASS on it, the women thought it was a glass cabinet. She didn't want a glass cabinet. Why would someone assume that a box that says GLASS on it wouldn't have glass in it?

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        I don't understand the brain burp here. The box said GLASS on it, the women thought it was a glass cabinet. She didn't want a glass cabinet. Why would someone assume that a box that says GLASS on it wouldn't have glass in it?
        Yeah same here.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I guess I've just been working in retail too long, or bought way too many fragile items in cardboard boxes, or have just seen way too many boxes with that exact same lettering on the side saying "GLASS" even though it was on something made of metal, wood, or whatever.
          Oh, and I forgot that not everyone realizes that a glass laundry tub cabinet wouldn't exactly be practical or durable, even if they made such a thing.

I thought it was a cute situation, but apparently I was wrong.

My apologies for daring to post.
          I had forgotten that this site had turned into a place where we call each other out on stories that don't seem "sucky" funny or "Brain burp" enough.

I will remember that before posting next time, and keep it in mind when I read your stories, or when you, yourself get called out on something you post.

Comment

I happen to think the OP was funny and enjoyed it.

Comment

Thanks.
              I was afraid it was one of those "had to be there" moments.

For some reason, I find a lot of the import fragile items will just say "GLASS" on the side, even if the item inside isn't glass. Maybe they don't know what "Fragile" means, either.

Even the other day, I saw a shipping carton from boxes of cookies and they said "GLASS".

Comment

It's fun to watch someone go from BITCH to mouse in three to five words...

I've had them sooooooooooooooo many times.

Bitch: RANT RANT RANT

Poh little ol me: Ma'am..m-ma'am..M... M.. MA'AM!!!

Bitch: WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME!?!?

PLOM: BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO YOU THAT IT'S NOT BROKEN!!! YOU KICKED THE PLUG OUT!!!

*shrinks back to little old lady size*

oh

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
                  Quoth powerboy View Post
                  Yeah same here.
                  The Brain Burp here is that an internationally recognised symbol was interpreted as meaning a supposedly hardy product was made of glass.

Does that make it far clearer and ruin the effect? (A joke explained is a joke ruined...)

Rapscallion

Comment

Yes Raps, it does. Wasn't thinking earlier.
                    Last edited by powerboy; 08-15-2008, 09:24 AM. Reason: Deleted something that should not have been typed.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      The Brain Burp here is that an internationally recognised symbol was interpreted as meaning a supposedly hardy product was made of glass.

Does that make it far clearer and ruin the effect? (A joke explained is a joke ruined...)

Rapscallion
                      Oh ok. So it didn't actually say "Glass," it had the symbol for "Breakable" on the box. gotcha.

Comment

That was my interpretation. I've seen that sign all over the place to mean 'fragile'.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
                          Something like this sign.

I was also wondering why it was labeled glass when it wasn't glass. Having a glass symbol is understandable.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Fragilly. Loved that Marx Brothers gag!! Nice reference!!
                            It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Maybe she thought Ree was giving her a major award instead of a cabinet?
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X