Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you do realize there is more than one university...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you do realize there is more than one university...

OK, so I had this guy, not really sucky... in fact nicest guest I've had all week. Here's though the part that gets me. He came to me asking for directions to Utah State University. I started telling him to take the 15 north to brigham city then over route 89... he says "ok, how do I take the train there"
    for those who don't know there is no train service to Logan, where USU is... I know that he really wants University of Utah, but he kept insisting he needed to get to USU.
    weird.

eta, for clarification, USU is in Logan Utah, 100 miles north of Salt Lake, UofU is on the East Bench of the Salt Lake Valley... actually in Salt Lake City. And this guy was describing trains that go there all the time and bus service every couple of minutes... which perfectly describes UofU... USU only has busses every half hour, no train service, and nothing between Salt Lake and there (for those who aren't familiar with Utah's geography or schools)

so yeah, I'm really hoping that he meant UofU and not USU... otherwise he'll have to pay out of the ass for a taxi to go that far because he doesn't have a car.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I come across this problem all the time. If I tell people I got my undergraduate degee in Arkansas, they assume I mean University of Arkansas (*shudder*). If I say ASU, they say, "Oh, Arizona! It's nice there!". Or my master's - University of Missouri-Kansas City. "Oh, Kansas - did you see Toto yet??"

Grrrr. Luckily my current university is rather well known, which eliminates a few problems, BUT I'M NOT GETTING ANYONE BASKETBALL TICKETS STOP ASKING!!

*sigh*
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Smiley, let's just hope he was ACTUALLY looking for BYU... so we know WHY he was the way he was. ^_^

No offence to any BYUers here... you can work a computer, so you're ahead of the game there.
      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
        Smiley, let's just hope he was ACTUALLY looking for BYU... so we know WHY he was the way he was. ^_^

No offence to any BYUers here... you can work a computer, so you're ahead of the game there.
        oh very true... then there is also UVU... the student body actually isn't that bad... the surrounding community though is nuts.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Just so long as you don't confuse Boston University and Boston College. That sort of mistake will earn you the angry wrath of any BU or BC alum.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            Grrrr. Luckily my current university is rather well known, which eliminates a few problems, BUT I'M NOT GETTING ANYONE BASKETBALL TICKETS STOP ASKING!!
            Thought you were going to Duke or UNC for a minute there, until I saw you're in Kansas. I lived in Durham for long enough that "College Ball" automatically makes me think of those two teams.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Or more than one town with the same name.

Around 1974 or '75 my dad delivered a front-end loader to a concrete plant in Duluth, Minnesota. He got there around one in the morning. Dad was shooting the breeze with the dispatcher when a guy wandered in.

He was a big rig driver with 25,000 pounds of priority whatever for a plant in Duluth from another plant in San Diego, California. It had been due at 5:00 am the morning before, but he couldn't find the address on the bill of lading. He had been stopping at gas stations and plants ever since, asking people for help finding the address on the bill of lading. And nobody, but nobody, had ever heard of the place.

Yes, twenty hours in the dark days before Mapquest or cell phones.

The dispatcher asked the guy for his paperwork. He looked at the address, and his eyes got big. He showed it to Dad, and Dad said, "Oh, shit."

Apparently, in that twenty hour quest this dispatcher and Dad were the first to spot the guy's big problem.

"You're supposed to be in Georgia."

The guy freaked. And the dispatcher showed him how the bill of lading said "Duluth, Georgia." No, I have no idea how nobody else spotted that.

The dispatcher told the guy he needed to make some calls NOW because he probably had a lot of people looking for him. The guy told him that he didn't have the cash to pay for a long-distance call, and the dispatcher told him, "Don't worry about that, just make your calls. I'll worry about the long-distance."

Not paying attention to details really isn't anything new.
              Last edited by TonyDonuts; 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Whoa. That's quite the wrong turn there. Eesh. I'd hate to have been that guy when he finally showed up. If they even bothered to send him on, instead of sending a different load.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                  "You're supposed to be in Georgia."

The guy freaked.
                  (Sorry, I have to say this....)

I knew I should have made that left turn at Albuquerque.........
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    Thought you were going to Duke or UNC for a minute there, until I saw you're in Kansas. I lived in Durham for long enough that "College Ball" automatically makes me think of those two teams.
                    Did he say KANSAS? No, he said, University of MISSOURI- Kansas City. Most of KC is in MO. I know it's confusing, but it's the truth.
                    Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Working...
                    X