This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer?

It always amused me when people did this at the gas station I worked at, though it's not necessarily bad, or even stupid of people, it amused me regardless.

It ususally went like this:

Guy wanders around the store for 5 minutes, which in itself is a feat because the store was like 10 by 20 feet give or take, basically you could see most of the store by standing at the door. Anyways he finally comes up to me and the conversation goes something like this:

BG: Beer guy
    Me:

BG: Where do you keep your beer?
    Me: At the liquor store 3 blocks down.
    BG: So you don't sell beer here?
    Me: No, and you'd be hard pressed to find any gas stations in BC that do, alcohol is only sold in liquor stores, and bars here.
    BG: So no beer?
    Me: No

Guy leaves

Sometimes other customers would join in the conversation too. I always found it strange that other places sell alcohol in regular stores, I know they do, it's just strange to me, I'm so used to it here I suppose. *shrugs* I do live here
    “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

I work in a drug store, but we don't sell alcohol. On any given night, I get no less than 3 people making a fuss that we don't sell it.

Drives me nuts.
    I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

In New Mexico they have drive-up windows in liquor stores. Occasionally, and I have been inside when this happened, a driver will have a bit of 'trouble' finding the window and leave a bit of paint along the wall.
      "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
      -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post
        In New Mexico they have drive-up windows in liquor stores. Occasionally, and I have been inside when this happened, a driver will have a bit of 'trouble' finding the window and leave a bit of paint along the wall.
        I've seen drive thru liquor stores here in BC, though I haven't personally witnessed anyone using them.
        “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

In Oregon, it is common for corner markets and suchlike to sell beer and/or wine, but only liquor stores can sell hard alcohol. If you drive down to California, you can pick up anything in a grocery store, and it's cheaper to boot.
          Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Comment

Things are even more complex in New York. Here, Just about any store that sells food can sell beer. However, wine and hard liquor can only be bought in liquor stores. There are also stores that sell only wine.

Liquor stores can't sell sodas or snacks. They can sell wine glasses, coasters, openers and books about wine or liquors. It's an odd situation.
            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

I grew up in Pennsylvania (USA) and it was similar there. Wine and hard liquor could only be purchased at state stores. Cases of beer had to be bought at a beer distributor. Six-packs of beer can only be bought "to go" at bars. It's very hard to explain to people from other states who are used to just going into a convenience store or supermarket.

Comment

Here in Idaho you can get beer and wine in the grocery and convenience stores, but the hard liquor can only be obtained in STATE OWNED liquor stores! Threw me for a loop when I moved here.
                Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I always find it quite strange when I hear about alcohol being sold in petrol stations. I mean, don't drink and drive and all that. Not suggesting that anyone who bought it would immediately swig it down and go back to their car but it just seems a little out of place.

Comment

Here in Indiana, you can buy warm beer, wine and hard liquor at grocery stores. But you can only buy cold beer at a liquor store. No alcohol is sold at convenience stores. Also, liquor stores can sell accessories (corkscrews, glasses, etc) snacks and warm 2ltr bottles of soda as well as multi-packs of warm soda, but cannot sell cold soda or bottled water.
                    "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

and dont forget that in ny you can't sell beer on sunday before noon.

when i was in va the grocery stores could sell wine and champange, and mixed drinks... but not the hard stuff by itself

Comment

Yeah here in Virginia the grocery stores can (and do!) sell beer, wine, and those hard-liquor mixer things, but no hard liquor. Liquor can be sold in liquor stores.
                        Our gas stations and convenience stores sell beer and some sell wine as well, but again, no hard liquor. My boyfriend was shocked at the fact that local groceries don't sell the hard stuff, since he's from Cali.
                        "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Here in Illinois, just about anything intoxicating can be sold at a grocery store or gas station. The problem is is that each municipality has their own times on when alcohol can be sold on Sunday. Most are 12noon, but a couple are 1pm and one is 7am around this part. One town near where I grew up did NOT allow it on Sunday at all until recently. Heck, there's still some dry communities around here (I grew up in one).

Want some fun? Go to Wikipedia and read up on the booze laws of Texas, Kansas and Kentucky. Those three states will make your head spin.
                          Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

OK, seriously, can y'all write into the SL Trib and explain your weird liquor laws so we can get people to shut up about how strange ours are... Malt beverages (ie, beer) can be sold at grocery stores and convenience stores, all other alcoholic beverages can only be purchased at state liquor stores... as far as serving alcohol, any establishment may serve alcohol with a food purchase... without a food purchase the only places that can serve are private clubs that charge a membership fee (which for some reason drives people mad... even though the membership fee for a weeklong membership is still less than what many clubs in Nevada will charge as a "cover charge" for one night).
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Oh... I forgot about "take out beer" from restaurants!

In virginia that's allowed too - under certain guidelines.
                              Last time I went to Gordon Biersch and for 16 bucks I could take out a jug of beer. I can't remember if it was 6 bucks for the jug and 10 to fill it or the other way around. But they could only fill it with the main menu beers because of the alcohol percentage. So they couldn't fill it with Winter Bach because it had a higher % alcohol. (and they capped the jug too, but it was a screw top if i remember)

actually not a bad deal... I wanted their food and some drink, but had to drive. so yummy food for me at home by the computer and some tasty beer in a giant jug
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 08-31-2008, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X