Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staples =/=Dell; What number did you call?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staples =/=Dell; What number did you call?

A threefer! THREE stupid questions on the same phone call. This guy was slightly sucky, but mostly just dumb.

Old guy calls in (only assuming that he was an older gentleman, but he just SOUNDED like one) asking about a particular Dell laptop he saw in our store for $499.

Just one problem: that model was long gone. Clearanced out and sold out more than a month ago. Plus it retailed for a fair bit more than $499 when it was new.

After his brain managed to process this bit of info, he asked what else we had in that price range.

Me: Well, the closest to that price would be *model*

SC: Tell me about that model.

Me: Well, it's lower-end than the one you asked about before--

SC: I don't want low-end! But I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I'd like to keep it under $500.

Me: Well sir, to be honest with you, you'd be hard-pressed to find something decent for anything less than $750-900.

SC:.............................................

Me:..................

SC:.........what's your phone number?

Me: What? You mean here at the store?

How did we go from discussing the average price of a half-decent laptop to what the store phone number was? And YOU called ME!! It was all I could do to not blurt out "Well, what number did you just call?"

Yes, I know he could conceivably called directory assistance and had them connect him without writing the number down first, but come on. How can calling someone and asking what their number is come across as anything but a phenomenally stupid question???

I gave him the number. Then he started asking me more questions, which I did my best to answer.

SC: Now, not only am I a repeat customer....

Me (thinking): technically, maybe, but that doesn't mean you're a GOOD customer.

SC:......but I'm also Veteran's Advantage.

Me: Ok?

SC: So I get a 10% discount on that.

Me: Sir, we offer no such discount.

SC: But you sell Dell!!

Me: Yes, but we're not part of Dell. Any discounts they offer are only through their direct sales.

SC: But aren't you guys the same company???

Staples = Dell? I think not.

Me: No, sir. We're completely separate companies.

SC: Well I'm sorry to have wasted your time! *click*

Now it turns out that he was right about one thing. Veteran's Advantage DOES have a 10% discount set up with Dell, but it specifies right on their web page that you have to buy direct from Dell. "Staples" does not appear anywhere on the page.

But seriously though, let's add up the fail

1: Refusing to understand that CHEAP and GOOD are diametrically opposed characteristics of computers.

2: Now knowing what number you just called.

3. Asking for someone else's discount.

Fail, FAIL, SPECTACULAR FAIL!

Thankfully, that was the worst thing I had to deal with today.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-30-2008, 12:59 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.
Working...
X