Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Like' or the Death of the English Language...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Like' or the Death of the English Language...

Okay, I *know* I'm 'old-fashioned' and I speak very colloquially...

but when I'm approached no less than 3 times in less than an hour and asked...

'Do you have, like, Nike sweatshirts?'
    'Do you know where, like, Adidas shoes are?'
    'Do you, like, have a bathroom?'

Me: every single time

Yes, we have Nike sweatshirts. No, we do not have 'like Nike' sweatshirts.
    Yes, I do know where Adidas shoes are. No, we don't carry a brand called 'like Adidas'.
    Yes, we have a bathroom, but because you are a moron and can't speak properly, you will wee your pants because I won't tell you unless you can ask me properly, 'Excuse me, miss, could you please tell me where the bathroom is located?'

**I know that last one makes me a complete B*TCH, but it still makes me smile**
    Just to cut off any helpful suggestions: This woman was not blind, nor disabled. She was just a bitch. - Boozy

I'll admit, I'll say it sometimes... If I'm rambling, I'll sometimes end a though process that got lost with "and it's.. uhh... like it's... oh screw it moving on"

But I think that's the only time I use like...
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth MiddleofNowhere View Post
      Okay, I *know* I'm 'old-fashioned' and I speak very colloquially...

Yes, we have a bathroom, but because you are a moron and can't speak properly, you will wee your pants because I won't tell you unless you can ask me properly, 'Excuse me, miss, could you please tell me where the bathroom is located?'
      "Miss" is generally used for girls under 18 and I refuse to respond to anyone who addresses me as such and doesn't have grey hair. So, unless you're old-fashioned because you're old, you may want to wish people address you as Ms.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
        "Miss" is generally used for girls under 18 and I refuse to respond to anyone who addresses me as such and doesn't have grey hair. So, unless you're old-fashioned because you're old, you may want to wish people address you as Ms.
        I thought "Miss" was for any unmarried woman? "Ms." is for divorced women, and "Mrs." for married/widowed women.
        MySpace

Comment

Actually, it's been determined that Ms. is good for any woman whose status you're uncertain of. Which would be anybody you meet really.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
            I thought "Miss" was for any unmarried woman? "Ms." is for divorced women, and "Mrs." for married/widowed women.

There is some sort of cultural rumor floating around that only bitter, angry divorcees use Ms. (I blame Die Hard) but Ms. is actually for everyone because it is sexist to base women's titles on whether or not they've married.

Of course, most people don't care about sexism or etiquette so it is easy to get confused.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
              . is actually for everyone because it is sexist to base women's titles on whether or not they've married.
              ...What the hell? I can't wait to be called a MRS. instead of a MS. When did this happen, and why wasn't I informed when I was taught etiquette in every one of my primary school classes?

Comment

Well now that we've sorted out how to call strange women we can get back to the topic at hand. Yes everytime I hear someone abuse the word 'like' I want to smack them. Considering I'm a student and work on campus this happens often. I fear one day someone will use it one too many times in a sentence and I'll jump over the counter, screaming "That's not how you use that word!" and bludgeon them to death with the library books.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

ugh, that drives me mad sometimes... I have a roommate who like, says like, all the time... if he were like a girl I'd say he was like some valley girl or something
                  (and if you are lurking, you know which one you are)
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                    ...What the hell? I can't wait to be called a MRS. instead of a MS.
                    You looking forward to having your title change when you marry while your husband's remains the same doesn't make it not sexist.

When did this happen, and why wasn't I informed when I was taught etiquette in every one of my primary school classes?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms.

Comment

I remember in my senior year we were watching a tap;ed news program and for a 'high school' story they went to the local community college and asked people the same questions and counted the number of 'uh/ums' and 'like'. Several were in the high teens for both and a professor knocked everyhone out of the park for her use of 'uh/um'. Only one person only used the word like ONCE and it was to say that the word like was dumbing down society.

On a side note, the class the professor teaches... Business English. Mom has her right now and she says it is driving her up the wall. So me being the evil daughter I am, told her to call the teacher on it. I wonder if she has yet.

Comment

What's it like, I'll tell ya what it's like, it's like when you tell someone you like them and then someone else like as in like-like or like as in just like in a totally platonic sorta way?

Quoth Anriana View Post
                        I demand humbly request someone point out the difference in pronounciation because I thought Miss and Ms was PRONOUNCED the same way, just different on paper.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

"Miss" is miss and "Ms." is more of miz. It tends to blur the distinct sounds of "miss" and "missus".
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

If you're southern with a thick accent then they both sound the same. Miss, Ms, and when I was in school Mrs, were all pronounced Miz.

The rest of it's gotta be some sorta Yankee thing, right? Help a poor southern boy out, I'm confused (which, granted, isn't hard, but I am getting sick of being called a girl because I look so much like my mother).
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Don't know if it's a Yankee thing, per se, since I've heard it all over. (Army brat. Born Southern, raised midwestern/northern...now back in the south).

And I actually got my info on the generic "Ms." thing from Miss Manners. Go figure.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X