This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainfartery

Had a guy today ask me about a patio chair we had on display. It turns out this particular chair is sold as a 2-pack, with the parts for both chairs in one box, some assembly required.

Customer: So, this price here ($92) is for one chair, right?
    Me: Actually, that one is sold as a two-pack.
    Customer: Oh. So two chairs for $92.
    Me: Yes.
    Customer: I wonder how big the box for those is...
    Me: Oh, I can show you. Wait right here...(has customer wait by the receiving doors while I drag the box over)
    Customer: So that's two chairs in there...
    Me: Yup.
    Customer: Can you open it up and make sure?

I open up the box, where we find, to my stupified amazement, 2 chairs, disassembled, inside the box.

Customer: Oh. So that is two chairs in there...
    Customer. Well, I only need one. I guess I could put them together and return one....
    Me: Actually sir, we would have no way to sell the chair if you returned it. (Convenient lie--we could just pull a price out of our bums, but we try to avoid doing this)
    Customer: Ah well, I guess I would have an extra then. By the way, those were two chairs in there, right?
    Customer: I'll go talk to my wife, see if she wants them.

And off he went to consult with the missus, who evidently decided she didn't want the chairs. So he asked me if there were two chairs in the box no fewer than 4 times, and then didn't even buy them.

I tell you, they ain't making them any smarter around here.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Gaaah, I hate when people ask the same farking question over and over and over. Just LISTEN the first time!
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I hate it hate it HATE IT when people want to open packages to check something. HATE IT!!!!!

The overwhelming majority of the time the following apply:

-it was something I already told them and they didn't believe me
      -they don't buy the thing after it's opened (or better yet, put the opened one back and take a different, sealed one, even knowing that the first one was unopened until THYE opened it.
      -it was a sealed box that it now irrevocobly "open" and future custoemrs will now want it "checked" or "discounted" because it's obviously "returned."

I HATE THIS!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!!!

I once had some douchebag get pissed at me and walk out because i refused to let him open something so he could see what it looked like.

The item in question was packaged in a clear plastic blister pack. :
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth spookysonata View Post
        Gaaah, I hate when people ask the same farking question over and over and over. Just LISTEN the first time!
        but then they'd have to accept an answer they don't like... if they keep asking you might change the answer just to get rid of them

Comment

I have actually gone in store several times and opened packages to look at things. My rule is though: I never never never open a package myself that I cannot put back to unopened appearences. I also always buy the one I have opened.

For example, I ALWAYS open hair dye. I'd gotten home several times to find a piece missing... Not gonna happen. When buying fragile items, I tend to peek and make sure that they aren't broken. Stuff like that.
          "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
            I have actually gone in store several times and opened packages to look at things. My rule is though: I never never never open a package myself that I cannot put back to unopened appearences. I also always buy the one I have opened.

For example, I ALWAYS open hair dye. I'd gotten home several times to find a piece missing... Not gonna happen. When buying fragile items, I tend to peek and make sure that they aren't broken. Stuff like that.
            I can accept those sorts of things. However, the majority of the time, I have to deal with people who want shrink-wrapped or otherwise sealed packages opened. Or things that should not need to be opened, like the aforementioned clear blister pack, or things like telephones, or items where a demo model is available.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

When shopping for electronics I always have the clerk open the box in my presence before buying it. There's some amount of fraud out there, both on the customer side and the store side. Boxes not containing what they're supposed to, people returning different items than what came in the box originally, item serial numbers not matching the box, etc. It's far easier to verify things like that in the store, than to get home and discover (for example) a dozen ceramic tiles instead of a TV, then try to convince the store you're not a scammer...

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                I hate it hate it HATE IT when people want to open packages to check something. HATE IT!!!!!

The overwhelming majority of the time the following apply:

-it was something I already told them and they didn't believe me
                -they don't buy the thing after it's opened (or better yet, put the opened one back and take a different, sealed one, even knowing that the first one was unopened until THYE opened it.
                -it was a sealed box that it now irrevocobly "open" and future custoemrs will now want it "checked" or "discounted" because it's obviously "returned."
                Amen.

At my store, it seems to be the hard drive enclosures (electronic box you put an internal hard drive into that makes it an external USB hard drive) that get opened on the shelf. At any given moment, half of my stock of enclosures has been opened but not purchased. To a point, I can understand it, like if the customer is checking the connection inside to make sure their drive will match up with it, but that's only valid if they have looked at the box and don't know what an EIDE or SATA connector looks like. Too many of them simply don't know what a hard drive enclosure is, and, instead of asking someone, they just open it to find out, and then end up asking anyway because what they see makes no sense to them.

Ever had anyone ask for an open-item discount on a sealed box? Or ask to buy the floor model of something when you still have plenty new-in-box just because they want a floor model discount?

Quoth spookysonata View Post
                Or when they don't even let you answer the question before asking it again... or asking something totally different. I can have fun with some of them, though. Y'know, the ones that are obviously not listening to anything I say.

Again with the hard drive enclosures... Yesterday, I'm helping two guys (Sucky Customer and Normal Guy, not together) who are looking at portable hard drives. One picks up the enclosure.

SC: Why is this one so cheap?
                Me: Because it's not a hard drive.
                SC: It's not?
                Me: Nope, it's a-
                SC: Well, I guess that's why it doesn't say how many gigabytes it's got.
                Me: That's right. It's a-
                SC: So if it's not a hard drive, what is it?
                Me: It's a-
                SC: A flash drive?
                Me: No, it's a-
                SC: Is it, like, a card reader or something?
                SC: It can't be a DVD burner...
                SC: Well what IS it?
                Me: Monkey.
                Normal Guy: *snicker*
                SC: What?!
                Me: It's a hard drive enclosure kit.
                SC: What's that?
                Me: (Explains)
                SC: Oh. So it's not a hard drive, then.
                Me: No.
                Normal Guy: *snicker* I'll just take this 250-gig one. Thanks. *snicker*
                SC: What's up with him?

It's a long one again. I really have to learn to trim my reply posts.
                I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                  It's a long one again. I really have to learn to trim my reply posts.
                  Don't trim them. That was very funny.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X