Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sorry, but Star Trek isn't real.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, but Star Trek isn't real.....

Ok, I admit to being a pretty big Star Trek fan, but I can at least recognize that the technology portrayed is fictional.

I actually had a guy ask me this week if he could buy a voice-command typewriter.

That was just one of those brain-freezing moments where you are so astounded that you can't respond right away.

After a few seconds, I finally stammered "Ah, outside of science-fiction? No, sorry."

He seemed genuinely disappointed (though thankfully not angered) by my answer.

I think someone took Gary Seven's typewriter from "Assignment: Earth" a little too seriously.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

you mean... none of it ever happened, Archer never saved us from anialation, Kirk never explored the galaxy, Piccard never whooped ass... you mean I can't actually instantly beam across the planet...

nooooo

ok, end sarcasm... it's actually not that sci-fi as it sounds, there is voice recognition software out there... I don't think it's been applied to a typewriter (yet) but it isn't that unfeasible.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Yes, I know that. But still, such a device does not currently exist, to the best of my knowledge. And I doubt it will, since it's not as flexible as voice-recognition software + word processor.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
        He could try talking into the mouse.
        Just use the keyboard.......

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Beam me up Scotty!
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Voice recognition software and a computer would work -- although many years ago when I first tried it out, I spend more time correcting the errors than I'd of spent just typing it from the start.

Comment

This guy is from New Hampshire, right? Even with voice rec software, he'd return it because it doesn't work with his accent and certainly doesn't work in his typewriter.

Does anyone else miss the old type writers? Because I sure do.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                Just use the keyboard.......
                A keyboard. How quaint.

Comment

What science fiction isn't real!?!?!? You mean SG-1 didn't save to world more than 10 times! Beaming tech doesn't exist! Jedi mind trick don't work! Data was never built! Andromeda didn't get frozen in time for 300 years! Damn! My entire world has just been destroyed!

lol

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021
                    you mean... none of it ever happened, Archer never saved us from anialation, Kirk never explored the galaxy, Piccard never whooped ass... you mean I can't actually instantly beam across the planet
                    Quoth SG15Z View Post
                    What science fiction isn't real!?!?!? You mean SG-1 didn't save to world more than 10 times! Beaming tech doesn't exist! Jedi mind trick don't work! Data was never built! Andromeda didn't get frozen in time for 300 years! Damn! My entire world has just been destroyed!
                    You guys do realize that Star Trek takes place in the 22nd-24th centuries, and that we are only in the 21st, right. Because I'd hate for your dreams to be shattered, you should always remember that, in the case of future events, one little word always adds hope.

The word is "Yet."

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                      one little word always adds hope.

The word is "Yet."

SC
                      that word could also add dread... as in "an alien probe hasn't destroyed Florida and killed 7 million people... yet"

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        that word could also add dread... as in "an alien probe hasn't destroyed Florida and killed 7 million people... yet"
                        Would it be that dreadful if the aliens destroyed Florida?

I was referring more to Warp Drive, androids and REAL space exploration, but I guess you have a point.

SC
                        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                          Would it be that dreadful if the aliens destroyed Florida?

I was referring more to Warp Drive, androids and REAL space exploration, but I guess you have a point.

SC
                          well, if you are a chief engineer on the NX01 who has a sister that lives there, then yes, it would be dreadful... otherwise... eh, it's one big tourist trap anyway

yes, I watch WAY too much Star Trek

though according to Star Trek there is stuff that has already happened... for example, aliens from the future attempted to release a bio-weapon back in 2004, and aliens were aiding the Nazis (I'm working on season 3 of Enterprise... I just finished the episode where Enterprise ends up going back to WW2 time period...)

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Does anyone else miss the old type writers? Because I sure do.
                            I still have mine. You want manual or electric?

The biggest problem I have is finding ribbons.
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Space Marines are REAL! If you say they aren't then you shall be purged!
                              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Working...
                              X