Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Books/Novels/Pieces of Writing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Books/Novels/Pieces of Writing?

What do you enjoy?

I enjoy The Fountainhead the The Cathedral and The Bazaar.
    Otaku

Watership Down and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

And The Princess Bride, and The Last Unicorn, and the Jack Sparrow series that was written for like 10-year-olds and the Apropos of Nothing books
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

The Great Gatsby will always be my favourite book. For me it's the most reread worthy book out there.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'm currently re-reading The great and Secret Show, but only because I didn't realise I've read it before.

Favourites I return to again and again: Cryptonomicon, the Baroque Cycle books, Neuromancer, Hackers: A Cyberpunk Anthology (short stories).

Comment

To Kill a Mockingbird

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The Ender series by Orson Scott Card

The Bean series (AKA the Shadow series) by the same Author

The early Xanth novels by Peirs Anthony (the well is so dry the books spill sand these days)

The Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg

Myth Adventures by the late LAMENTED Robert Asprin

Comment

Harry Potter series.

Twilight series.

His Dark Materials series.

Women's Murder Club series.

I like series.

Comment

My favorite books I read once every few years:

The Last Unicorn

The War of the Worlds

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The Persian Boy

The Remains of the Day

The other day my husband counted our books out of curiosity...1,171! I can only imagine how bad it will be after we finally get a house!
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Fight Club.

"This must be an emergency.
                  Oh.
                  We just lost cabin pressure.
                  Oh."
                  "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I'm with Parrothead, Wicked is an awesome. And the other book he wrote, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I also like Ella Enchanted (the book, I hate, hate, hate the movie), Just Ella, and Beauty. All written for the 10year old demographic.

Comment

I really enjoyed The Cup of the World, and it's sequel...whatever it's called. It was good though. :P

Gotta mention Kushiel, of course. Whoo hoo!

Godslayer and Banewreaker.

Comment

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (yes, that Hugh Laurie)
                        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Well, I never get to read anything not related to school.

That said, the greatest play ever written in English is Hamlet. I can curl up on a rainy afternoon with it and a cup of cocoa and be perfectly content. Why, yes, I AM geek. My favorite play overall is Cyrano de Bergerac (I may be writing a paper on it soon *giggle*).

I do enjoy the Dan Brown novels, especially Angels and Demons. Alan Alda's memoirs are quite good, as well. I had to read Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov last semester for a Russian/Soviet theatre history class. My professor hailed it as the greatest novel of the 20th-century. I'm not sure I agree. I mean, naked witches flying on pigs .
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                            Wicked is an awesome. And the other book he wrote, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.
                            I couldn't get more than a few chapters into Wicked. Something about it bugged me... You know there's a sequel to it already? Son of a Witch, and there's soon to be a second about the cowardly lion.

No one's mentioned Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels yet? I haven't read a single one that wasn't both: hilarious, and had a message. All of them have both qualities.
                            Or Simon R Green's two major series? Deathstalker, and the Blue Moon books/Hawk and Fisher?Both take the genre they occupy and twist them on their heads. Blue Moon's fantasy/mystery... Deathstalker's Space Opera. Mmm, tingly.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Oh, did I mention I adore Dostoyevsky?

Yay.

Comment

Working...
                              X