This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gah... must break the habit

OK, so in an effort to "go green" (read into that save money) we are no longer printing out individual room folios... all the information that is on the room folios is listed on the transactions list, but using much less paper... so what do I do on the very first check out of the day... if you guess I still printed the individual folio you win a prize... please be at the astro burger at 39th and state on thursday for your free burger...
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Our company's idea of going green was turning off lights on the soda machines and printing stickers to tell us they are still on, but then send out paper everything for a lot of stuff that could have been handled by email. oh well. It gets ignored either way.
    We also got some Ecoblue urinal cakes so they only flush them once a day. The one closest to the doors always smells and they have printed materials on the urinals to tell us how "beneficial microbes" will reduce the smell and save water. I am just waiting for a headline saying how an outbreak of "beneficial microbes" has over run local water sources and killed all the native life.
    I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
    -The Amazing E
    Zonies social group now open!

Comment

oh yeah... I'm glad now I didn't break that habit... management has decided that, no we will keep paper copies of the records... in stead we will no longer deliver reciepts in the morning, we will only print off individual room reciepts for the guest if they request one at check-out... great plan except EVERYONE requests a receipt
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth wanderingjoe72 View Post
        I am just waiting for a headline saying how an outbreak of "beneficial microbes" has over run local water sources and killed all the native life.
        Oddly enough, something similar does happen. Can't dispose of milk or milk substitutes down the regular drain system in any sort of reasonably large quantities without it causing certian microbes to really breed and so forth. They take all the oxygen out of the water before the large beasties (fish and the like) can get to it.

Boring, but allegedly true.

Rapscallion

Comment

My company decided to get rid of the "employee recognition" thingy that was done ENTIRELY online and start one that uses pre-printed forms... forms that come with built in carbon copies...

Oh, and they changed the urinals (first floor only) into "flushless" ones...

And of course they're touting how "green" the company is while trying to kill the telecommuting programs...

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Comment

The term is "greenwashing". That is, either something that you claim is ecologically friendly (either out of cheapness or as a PR attempt), where the benefits are negligable at best.

Comment

i'm seriously going to hell...

I saw "ecoblue" and ... i swear I thought it said "Edible"....

Comment

The simplest thing that we've done in our office (and my idea ) was to reuse paper. Most stuff that's printed is for one time items so we just put the paper back and print on the other side.

As for dumb 'green' ideas, turning off the lights in the loos. I had to learn far too much about compact fluorescents (backing up my hunches) that switching them on and off all day wasted more electricity and crippled the life on them - they take anywhere up to 10 minutes to reach peak operating efficiency and another 5 to cool down (depending on model and they need quite a bit of juice to start.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Oddly enough, something similar does happen. Can't dispose of milk or milk substitutes down the regular drain system in any sort of reasonably large quantities without it causing certian microbes to really breed and so forth. They take all the oxygen out of the water before the large beasties (fish and the like) can get to it.

Rapscallion
                  Not boring. Science in all it's forms is fascinating. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
                  I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                  -The Amazing E
                  Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
                    Oops now I know this. I just dumped half a gallon of rotten milk down the drain last night.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      i'm seriously going to hell...

I saw "ecoblue" and ... i swear I thought it said "Edible"....
                      As long as you didn't see the word "underwear" by the word "Edible" you'll be alright.

Our company's idea of going green: Play with the light switches and use only half the ceiling lights for a couple of hours during the day.

Suuuuuuuuuuure, if you guys say so.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                      X